My resin lessons learnt thus far.

Gerhard

A lot of the poor fit issues are caused by using lower quality resins (fastcast etc) which are very sensitive to temperature during cure. If the temp of the mould, mixed resin and curing ovens are not know there will be big issues in shrinkage or growth. Use the first castings from the master to then make multiple copies, which also change size, and then cast product which also changes, it isn't surprising things don't fit well!!

Great thread! I've started to venture into the world of resin, and so far, I have had mixed results with its use. Most are undoubtedly user error!

I'll be saving these tips and suggestions on how to improve my experiences with it.

Mike

Edited by Dragon

Another tip: when sanding, use wet and dry sandpaper and keep the parts wet to reduce dust. I keep a tin pie pan handy with about a centimeter of water in it. Some parts you can even sand under water. With that and wearing a dusk mask will keep your lungs healthy...and your wife from complaining about the fine dust all around your work space!

I do the same as Kevin - Dawn dishwashing detergent and an old toothbrush.  I'll soak the parts as I wash them individually, then once I'm done scrubbing I rinse them off and lay them out on a towel to dry.  Also have not had any primer adhesion problems.

Chris

After experiencing some exceptionally stubborn mold release agent on a resin kit I had soaked overnight, then scrubbed with soap and water many moons ago, I've been a believer in Bleche Wite.  It is a bit more caustic that plain soap and water, but I always wear gloves, and then scrub off the BW with dawn dish-washing soap and water.   Haven't had a single issue with adhesion with any resin kit since. 

As to sanding and working with resin, I do what Ray does, and always sand with wet/dry sand paper and a bowl of water to continually keep the paper wet.   I have also found that when I do get an accumulation of fine resin dust, instead of blowing it around the work-space, or vacuuming it up, I add it to a specific seal-able container I have, and add it to either white glue or CA to make a thicker and very strong glue paste for gluing applications where there is a gap, and filling is needed. 

Resin impregnated CA  is quite strong, and works well with resin kits as as filler. 

Yep. Great stuff here! I scrub my parts with an old tooth brush in water with Dawn dish soap. It does the trick for me as well. I built an entire plane that was resin, a Potez 631. Nice kit, went together very fast. Patience is the true key to doing anything resin, cockpit to an entire kit. Measure twice, cut once, type of attitude needed.