Having issues with Tamiya Panel line washes

Gerhard

Hi Guys, so I completed a model and gave it a coat of Tamiya Clear Gloss (TS 13). Let it cure properly and then applied Tamiya black panel line wash. Try as I may. I cant get the excess panel line wash off. It's as if the wash ate into clear coat. This well and truly ruined the model.

Must your clear coat be Acrylic? I dont have any odorless mineral spirits at hand. Is that  the only product to use to clean up the panel line wash.

Any tips please?

Thanks

Gerhard

Gerhard,

The Tamiya washes are enamel based so they should not have interacted with your clear coat.  A couple of things come to mind:  How long did you let that clear coat dry for? (But sounds like you let it cure for a long time).  The other is what are you trying to clean off the wash with?  You need to use some sort of mineral spirits or turpentine.  Nothing for an acrylic will work (and just makes a mess.  Ask me how I know.......).

Try those mineral spirits and see how it works out.  Should not do anything to your clear coat and should take the wash right off.  (A lot of 'should's there I know, sorry!).

I did a quick internet search of the usual model forums and I've not seen anyone report a similar problem (admittedly, not an extensive search).  

Good luck and let us know how you sort it out.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Thanks guys, I will go out and get some clear mineral spirits and give it a bash. Hey, I might have turpentine, will check.  I did see on the Britmodeller forum they say your clear coat MUST be Acrylic. 

Edited by Gerhard

Guest Peterpools

Gerhard

I sue Tamiya Panel Line Wash all the time with no problems at all but as a pin wash. If I'm doing all the panel lines on the entire model model, I normally use Flory's Water Based Wash.

eter

I buy direct from Flory in UK, they ship anywhere as far as I know. I personally use mostly water based washes now, I tried using acrylic, but not overly impressed with them, they even dry a little sticky. Nice thing about water wash, if you really screw up, rinse them off with water. I even tried streaking with them and a wet brush.

For me this brings up two questions:

1. Is this why I see this product being "dumped" on certain supplier websites?
  2. Arn't panel lines normally done before the finish/final coat?

:innocent: Tom

I don't always use a top or final coat after weathering and that includes panel lines.  Depends on the look I'm going for and how well the finish looks.

Gloss coat, decals and panel line wash, then final coat.

I use Tamiya Clear Gloss in the jar and spray it through the airbrush. I use the Tamiya panel line wash and it comes off with a little mineral spirits.

Maxim.