Silver Spitfire Mk IX - MJ250 - UF-Q

LSP_Ron

Nice one Ron - Edgar always liked unusual schemes - and one of his big interests since, well, forever has been natural metal finishes. Initially foiling (he used to sell his own adhesive concoction) and then Alclad which at one point I believe he had an involvement with.

This is right up his alley!  :thumbsup:

Iain

Great news Iain.

Good question,  if you really zoom into the picture a few things stand out.  I believe it is metal not paint as there is a shade difference between the wing fillet and fuse, and the rudder and fin. 

Also noted is that it is the "C" option in the Tamiya kit in that it has clipped wings (look closely at the wing tip, it's square and not elliptical like the plane beside it)  and the trop air cleaner.

This plane was a personal hot rod I think, a statement of standing out. 

I won't be adding a bomb unless Derek is willing to sell me a rack.

Excellent scheme Ron, I like that a lot. One source that I've seen says it's bare metal finish perhaps done as a trial, though for what I can't quite imagine......the reflected glare to blind any gunners on the ground? :)

Max

Guest Peterpools

Hi Ron

Looking forward to following your build from start to finish; always nice to see a unique and different finish

Keep 'em comiong

Peter

The pit is almost done.  I'll add seat belts tomorrow and I can button up the fuse and start on the wing.  I didn't go nuts with paint detail, this is Spitfire #7 going on my shelf and have three more in the stash.  You really can't see much other than the seat once it's all together. 

PC190087_zps8kyqgb8i.jpg

PC190086_zpscpgexbbs.jpg

PC190088_zpsdpe54kn3.jpg

Man Photobucket is brutally slow!

Looks good to me Ron.  I read that it was bare metal as well but not the reason for the stripped paint job.

Edit: Found it! Sort of, it's one of the marking options Eduard had in their 1/48 release. The link is in Czech though. I imagine an English version is available.

http://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/8281-cz.pdf

So by Spitfire number 7, are they all Tamiya or a mix of manufacturers? I've built three Tamiya Spits so far but all as different Marks (IX, XII, XIV).

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

The interior looks sharp Ron.

I hear you about the detail being seen. If a pilot is added even less is visible and undr a closed canopy it's probably not worth adding any extra detail.

7 Spits will make for an impressive line up in the display cabinet.

Cheers.

Thanks guys

Super looking job Ron, it's given me the inspiration to paint my cockpit today. What is the pilot's seat made from, the real one, such that they're brown not interior green?
Max

Bakelite,  it's a sort of plastic resin that was redish in color. Some Spittys had metal seats but the plastic ones were most common.

bade7e9d6ed605faf8f194f2ab15592a.jpg