410 replies to this topic

#406 Thunnus

Thunnus

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

Oh wow!  Not a good sign when people post photos of hard liquor on your build report!  So sorry to hear about the fuselage cracking Brian!  I was afraid of the last straw effect on this one but I guess when the going gets tough, Brian gets going.  Great fix and it looks like the build is back on track.

• Out2gtcha and Peterpools like this

John

-----<><

#407 Jack

Jack

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

Brian, a lot  has been said already on the subject, and any additional comment on my side would be more or less a waste, since i feel you ARE my Tigercat-hero on this remarkable enterprise (no hugs pleeeeeze.... :whistle: :wicked:), but all your "adventures" with this project remind me to have a bottle of "un-cure" right next to the CA glue in case things go south...........

Your in-progress reports are great reading material, thank you very much

J.

• Harold, Out2gtcha and Peterpools like this

everyone in the circuit switch off your radios....now switch 'em back on again......

#408 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,282 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:48 AM

Brian

What a recovery and way to go! :thumbsup:. Amazing work. I can honestly say, I never would have had both your patience and incredible skill to get this far and work though so many problems and issues. Even working out how to close off the nose gear weight was ingenious.

My next two or three builds after the SBD are resin kits and have been taking a boat load of notes. I'll be testing medium Zap-a-Gap as compared to the Loctite I normally use and never have followed up using the two part epoxy with thin CCA... more testing for sure.

Just looking at the photographs, kudos on your progress - brilliant work

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Edited by Peterpools, 23 January 2018 - 03:49 AM.

Trumpeter SBD-1

gCSaNS.jpg

#409 scvrobeson

scvrobeson

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:51 AM

Maybe I'm just using the wrong super glue. I've been using the BSI odorless stuff. I'll pick up some Zap-A-Gap Medium then to see if that works better

Matt 

• Out2gtcha likes this

#410 Wouter

Wouter

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:33 AM

Catching up on this Brian. Wow, what a journey so far. What a tremendous effort. I know you will get this one sorted. It looks like all Hph kits are made with such small tolerance that scale issues arise. Hence the need to alter/adjust parts that go on the inside of the fuselage. I experienced this too with Me410 build. But closing the fuselage for good is maybe the biggest hurdle you have overcome and with care and patience you will get it to the end!

• Out2gtcha likes this

On the bench, on the shelf, Finished. Just take a look here:https://www.scalemat...te.php?id=17982

#411 Phartycr0c

Phartycr0c

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

Again, outstanding work and a great recovery.

The consolation to this is that at least working with resin, as messy and difficult to work as it is, when it does break, it breaks cleanly allowing the joint to go back together just as cleanly. 

I was going to suggest asking HPH for a replacement fuselage side as Im sure they want to see more of their kits built and completed rather than started and abandoned but youve done a stellar job of repairing the bodyside. 

I do feel your pain but keep up the good work, I'm half tempted to break out the Sea Hornet as a "sympathy" build which would be my first foray into a full resin kit.

• Out2gtcha likes this
Eagles may soar, but weasles dont get sucked into jet engines!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: F7F, Tigercat, HpH, Grumman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users