Heading for Tobruk: A Panzer IIIG: Figure Painting 11/Feb/18

Gazzas

Guys,

Thanks for the kind words.  I had to take parts from a few different figure kits to get two of these three guys to fit into somewhat realistic poses.  Since the kit has no interior details, I needed to cover the open hatches a little.

I have to feel for the poor drivers and radio operators that didn't have an overhead hatch to let in fresh air.  It's one thing to be bolted in while in combat.  But for the many more hours on the march without action, a cool breeze would have been a godsend.

While in the Marines, I had a few opportunities to be on US Navy vessels.  I always hated General Quarters drills.  As "passengers", we were confined to our bunk areas.  With all hatches dogged down and ventilation turned off, it got stuffy and hot pretty fast.  I'm not claustrophobic...  but I much prefer a little wind in my hair.

Gaz

Thanks Dan!  I was going to use oils for the washes since I have them already, and need to get better with them.  But I do have a few Tamiya enamels so I might give them a go...  Never really considered using them as washes before.  Thanks for the tip.  It's just the basic colors, but I should be able to come out with something.

Cheers,

Gaz

Well, everyone,

Warts and all I'm calling it done.  Some photos with a bit of backdrop to add some depth:

b_185741.jpg

b_185808.jpg

b_185757.jpg

b_185834.jpg

b_185821.jpg

b_185905.jpg

b_185847.jpg

b_185916.jpg

There are a lot of lessons learned, and a lot of new things tried.  There are some things that could be redone, but I'm not that kind of modeller.  Time to move on to the next one.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

This one came out really nicely!

I'm a sucker for a DAK Panzer III!  

I see Dragon has a pretty new kit of one out now.  It has my name on it.

Thank you! 

I can't speak for the new kit.  But this one I built is a re-pop of another kit...maybe Tristar or something like that.  It's probably not as crisp as their newer offerings.  It's funny, I got this G model then realised all of the ones with gray and sand camo that I could find in photos were either F's or H's.

Gaz

Only one criticism: the tracks on the left side "toe" out. This will get you savaged at any competition. Otherwise looking very nice.

Bill,

Thank you for pointing that out.  I hadn't noticed.  Another reason I like Tamiya's poly caps.  There is quite a long list of skills for me to master before I consider serious competition.  

Gaz