Tamiya announces 1/16 scale M1A2 Abrams

Barry

Yep, saw that on facelook yesterday. Looks like a fully articulated suspension system too, which is a tremendous plus. And the best news of all, since it's not a full blown RC package, I might just actually be able to afford it.

Interestingly enough, it seems likely that Trumpeter will sooner or later release the announced 1:16 Panther, then eventually a (presumed) Jagdpanther to follow, but I'd imagine that this Tamiya kit will be the better of the two. The Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger and Panzer IV's have received good reviews so far, but the Tiger, not so much, as it's apparently a knock off of a HL R/C kit, which itself was apparently quite far from being accurate.

Looking at it, it is their RC one released as a static model, so I wonder if it is just a shell with no interior, rather like they did with the 1/25 versions.

I certainly hope so. An empty kit, just as a static display piece, should be a much more manageable price, and that pleases me a ton.

Bill is correct you will have to scratch most all added detail. Here is my work thus far on detailing the Heng Long 1/16 RC Abrams.

If it's not green it's mine. :)

Barry,

Your Abrams build is simply the best I've seen in any scale. I have SERIOUS respect for your skills! From the few pics I've seen,Tamiya offering doesn't seem all that different from the Heng Long release, for example, both are missing the anti-skid texture and numerous small details. However, there is currently a lot of aftermarket for the latter, so for the price HL may be the better purchase.

Cheers, Tom