Revell 1/32 Duo Discus

Cap'n Wannabe

Hi Cap'n, great work so far on that Duo! If I may chime in regarding your chosen paint scheme: D-KUNK is a Duo Discus T, which has an auxiliary 'Turbo' engine. Since you puttied the engine doors on the back, that would be a little inconsistent.

Don't know why Revell included the decals in the first place... Not that you need to care, just wanted to let you know :)

Greets, Jonas

PS: Sorry to hear about your LHS :(

EDIT: You could however take the orange nose and wing decals and just take another

registration, it's a fairly common scheme for Duos.

Thanks for that info, Jonas....I'll save that scheme for when I find the kit with the motor, then.

That narrows the choice down to three schemes, since I've already attached the wingtips...

The T models rarely have their engines out. They are a “get you home†or instant thermal if you like (and noisy as hell). For those who are interested the engine is virtually control free. It's either out and on at full throttle or off and stowed. So returning the model, the difference will be the decal, one will have a T on the end of the name.

PM

So, my next question...

Here is a photo of the wingtips attached to the wings.

YVJ5q9vl.jpg

The instructions don't indicated the joins should be puttied, *but* photos on the internet are downright confusing.  I've seen one or two with a distinct line on the underside of the wing, but from the top it looks like it's one piece.  Can somebody in the know shed any light on this?  At the moment, the wings are primed, but there is still work to do on them...

Most of the gliders Ive seen up close and personal have for the most part completely smooth and puttied wings. I cant say for sure on the Discus, as Ive not seen one in person, but Id say there is a good chance its the same, as the glider folks usually seem to do it to gain that extra tiny bit of energy and lift by making sure the airflow over the wings is a smooth as possible. 

Wing parts are not puttied as it can be dismounted for transport if you land in a field.
We use adhesive tape on the joint between two wing parts or where the wings joint the fuselage.

Maybe the best way to represent it is to putty the joint and use a thin band of  decal as a tape.

Edited by Plm

Here are two pictures of our DG-400 glider, showing the wing/fuselage joint tape and the wingtip part joint tape.tayk.jpg

7m20.jpg

On this glider, the wingtips are separate parts as the wingspan can be change from 15m to 17m, using different wingtips.

When peaople ask us what is the use of the tape, the joke is to say that it's use to hold the parts together...

Edited by Plm