Picture of Revell`s He 111

Pitbiker

hi guys,

not sure if it was on this forum or a n other, but i am sure someone mentioned that the pic was maybe of a "H" rather than a "P"?

also maybe not the production version of the kit, partly because the aileron detail looked a bit waxy / lacking???

pls note i AM NOT dissing this kit - just my German is non-existant so the IPMS page is not much use to me - and i am curious to see more detailed info about this kit (i can't wait for it!!!! :evil_laugh: )

yours, awaiting enlightenment,

Nick

Hi guys, man we are in for a treat eh? I can't wait for the He 111, that is going to be a kick arse kit to build!

Dave: the engines are canted outward slightly, the reason is multiple and quite common with single rudder aircraft of the period. One of the main reasons

is to direct the slipstream of the prop thrust over the main rudder... this will increase rudder authority for single engine ops and reduce the VMcg speed. If you look at an aircraft like the P-38 the rudders were directly behind the slipstream which was optimum position, but with single rudder aircraft you can save material and subsequent weight by having a smaller rudder with more command authority when the slipstream is directed towards the rudder.

Hope that all makes sense mate...

Revell, you rock... bring it on!

Cheers

Alan

Hi guys, man we are in for a treat eh? I can't wait for the He 111, that is going to be a kick arse kit to build!

Dave: the engines are canted outward slightly, the reason is multiple and quite common with single rudder aircraft of the period. One of the main reasons

is to direct the slipstream of the prop thrust over the main rudder... this will increase rudder authority for single engine ops and reduce the VMcg speed. If you look at an aircraft like the P-38 the rudders were directly behind the slipstream which was optimum position, but with single rudder aircraft you can save material and subsequent weight by having a smaller rudder with more command authority when the slipstream is directed towards the rudder.

Cheers

Alan

I agree Alan, an AWESOME subject kit and I'm sure we'll see a lot of these kits actually built like the Ju88 model!

I'm quite convinced that they'll now do the Do17 series to accompany those kits.

The question is what Luftwaffe WWII subject will they do after that? My guess - the Me410!!

And I agree with another point you made - REVELL ROCKS!! :yahoo:

Cheers

Alan

great stuff, love hearing about the engineering of the real thing.

Looking forward to this in plastic!

While we are talking about Revells current LSP kits:

An oldie but goldie, rereleased: http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Flugzeuge/Wi...27_Grzimek.html

The german text is mostly about the zebra stripes. Revell did all the work to get the correct pattern of stripes for the painting instructions by checking a zillion of old pictures of the real bird. Most replicas have the wrong pattern, but Revell got it right and spot-on. Because of the large area and the curved shape of the airplane Revell made no decals for the stripes to keep the price of the kit low (and in the wise foresight that they would get a lot of requests for free replacement decals because a lot of people would screw up a decal job of that size and pattern). So they added a painting instruction to be enlarged by the modellers up to A3-size and to be used as a painting guide or to be cut into templates to paint all the stripes on.

Regards! - dutik

Hate to nitpick, but the builder of that test shot put the props on backwards! :whistle:

But yeah.... big 'un! Lots are going to have some fun with that subject! :popcorn:

I vote for a DO-17 as well. And some British subjects from that time period too.

Yes, I vote for that He-111 too. I do not care how accurate it is or isn't. It looks wonderful! I want one. Yummy.

Yes, I also want the Do-17 , Greedy little muffin, aren't I?

As to that zebra stripe pattern on the Do-28. I think it would be great to paint a Fokker DVII or the Dr. 1 Triplane or even an Albatross in those colors.

What, you say, "No one flew an airplane in WW1 painted like that?"

"Sez youse, pal" I retort in my best Brooklyneese. :whistle: "Dems fightin' woids, ya bum ya."

I see no problem at all with accuracy. As I told David Thompson one evening, all I have to do is get ahold of some offical German Army forms from WW1, scan them into photoshop or Corel Draw and erase what is written on it and put in whatever words I want. Just find some older paper that has aged to match the color of the original documents. Put it under plastic sheets so no one can look too closely and presto, documentation for any pilot, any unit and plans or color scheme I want. Its a hobby, right? Well, part of my hobby is creating ficticious airplanes, units, pilots, airfields, etc. :lol:

Its merely a matter of being creative. :popcorn:

Stephen