The Scale Viper: A Modeler's Guide to Building the F-16

jmel

edit:  NOW SHIPPING!!!

Great news for those unlucky souls who missed out on Pete 'Pig' Fleischmann's The Scale Viper!! There will be a 2nd print run due to return from the printers in November, along with The Modern SLUF Guide!! This is a very limited print run, so don't miss out a 2nd time.  Preorders are now being accepted on the Reid Air Publications webstore and shipping will begin immediately upon return next month.

http://www.reidairpublishing.com/product-p/rap007.htm

ScaleViper_cover_1.jpg

Edited by jmel

Pretty excessive don't you think.

Dan.

It doesn't really matter what I think.  Do you think I'm somehow profiting from excessive shipping costs?

I take a beating on shipping costs and only charge about 60% of what it actually costs me.

I'm sorry it is so expensive to ship outside the US, but I don't set the costs.  The United States Postal Service does.

Jake

Guest Peterpools

I was lucky enough to have purchased the Scale Viper Guide in the past and it' is simply an awesome resouce. If you are into Vipers; don't miss out.

Peter

It doesn't really matter what I think.  Do you think I'm somehow profiting from excessive shipping costs?

I take a beating on shipping costs and only charge about 60% of what it actually costs me.

I'm sorry it is so expensive to ship outside the US, but I don't set the costs.  The United States Postal Service does.

Jake

Jake ,

In no way I'm implying that you make profit from higher shipping cost, what I'm saying is that most probably

the service shipping calculator on your site maybe use only one shipping option and from what I see

is 1st class Air international 3 to 6 days kind of...

Same thing happened with Sierra Hotel, their site was calculating a $20.00 shipping charge for a single

F-4 intake set... crazy.

After a few feedback they adjuste by offering more than one shipping option and came down to $ 8.00

for ground service and 3 weeks.....

You know, ground shipping and 3 weeks del'y can do the job and were just the other side of the fence,.

I should have been more specific in my post,

Sorry,

Dan.

I was lucky enough to have purchased the Scale Viper Guide in the past and it' is simply an awesome resouce. If you are into Vipers; don't miss out.

Peter

I know Peter,

I'm into Viper big time and lurking his Viper sheet.... and you know what, last year I had a copy in my hand at a show in Toronto

and put it back on the table cause my attention was at another items, came back 20 min. later and it was gone  :BANGHEAD2:  :BANGHEAD2:  :BANGHEAD2:  :blowup:  :angry2:  Dang.....

Just a heads up for anyone ordering from the US, the USPS calculates prices on three things. The first is common anywhere which is weight. The second is size of the box it is shipped in. When the girth reaches a certain dimension of weight it upscales the price. The final is destination. Length of travel adversely affects prices. I know a lot of people from Canada have complained especially since the US is basically right next door. One would think this reduces the cost for destination but it does not. There are not as many postal offices in Canada as the US and also not as many main hubs especially when you consider how huge Canada is as well as the varying climates. Anyway, weight and size are the highest contributors. A book as everyone knows weighs a lot more than most items one ships. When weight reaches over 13 ounces the USPS places the shipment in the next highest bracket which is often Priority. There is not a media mail or first class above that weight. It is not very shocking that a decent sized book is $25+ for shipping. I once shipped a WnW kit to Italy the cheapest way possible and the smaller box I could for a mere $44. So with all this being said, you can buy it direct and hope shipping isn't bad and know that usually the seller doesn't make a dime off shipping. Most times the seller wishes shipping was less but they do not have any control over shipping rates. We do not vote on increases or policy. The alternative is to see if a distributor will buy said item in bulk and help spread shipping costs but I do not see it for this item.

Edited by nichenson

Just a heads up for anyone ordering from the US, the USPS calculates prices on three things. The first is common anywhere which is weight. The second is size of the box it is shipped in. When the girth reaches a certain dimension of weight it upscales the price. The final is destination. Length of travel adversely affects prices. I know a lot of people from Canada have complained especially since the US is basically right next door. One would think this reduces the cost for destination but it does not. There are not as many postal offices in Canada as the US and also not as many main hubs especially when you consider how huge Canada is as well as the varying climates. Anyway, weight and size are the highest contributors. A book as everyone knows weighs a lot more than most items one ships. When weight reaches over 13 ounces the USPS places the shipment in the next highest bracket which is often Priority. There is not a media mail or first class above that weight. It is not very shocking that a decent sized book is $25+ for shipping. I once shipped a WnW kit to Italy the cheapest way possible and the smaller box I could for a mere $44. So with all this being said, you can buy it direct and hope shipping isn't bad and know that usually the seller doesn't make a dime off shipping. Most times the seller wishes shipping was less but they do not have any control over shipping rates. We do not vote on increases or policy. 

What he said.

Surface shipping a book from the US to anywhere in the world, outside the US, is not an option.  It MUST go airmail.  I do not know why, but that is the policy.

I've been doing this for ten years now and have looked at every option imaginable.  There just isn't a better option.

Jake

Hey Nic,

How's the F-15I decal I sent you... everything's fine..?

don't forget to post picture.

Dan.

Oh yes, I forgot to message you.  They arrived in perfect order!  Thank you so much.  I am still sourcing some parts for it and a few other Israeli builds as well as in the process of finishing out my hobby room.  I should have a really nice paint booth set up by the end of November.  I will be finishing my Israeli Piper and then probably starting on the 15C.  Don't worry I will be posting pics of both builds as soon as I can apply some paint.

Hi Guys,

Jake is correct with his shipping fees.  Shipping charges have increased tremendously in the past 6 months due to changes in currency exchange rates,  Terrorism security measures in customer clearance,  and standardization of shipping fees world wide.   Close locations to the US like Canada and Mexico, that used to  not cost much more  than a US addressed package, are now the cost is the same rate as a package going to Europe or Japan.   Shipping to Australia, Singapore, and the most of Asia is even more pricy and priority mail is  requirement to get insurance on the parcel.   I have seen this in shipping our resin products, so it is not something unique to Jake or any other shipped items form any source.   Some companies are still subsidizing their shipping increases, but us little companies cannot absorb the increase.  Yes, it stinks to pay as mush for shipping as the item, but that is our current reality.

Just food for thought,

Gary

Speaking as someone who's been able to source a very good condition, previously owned example - thank you Lothar and I look forward to meeting you at Telford with a beer in hand - I can promise anyone who's considering buying this beauty, it's worth every penny - and that includes the postage to the UK which certainly ain't cheap!!

Thank you Jake for an excellent series of books, both detail modelling and the 'Modern Guides' -I can't wait for my SLUF book to turn up and I shall be ordering the A.10 and, if Jake reprints it, the Super Hornet Guide!! 

Best detail books around so hang the postage costs!!!

Steve S.

• 4 weeks later...