Foiling a Starfighter: TGIFD

Gazzas

Guys,

Thank you very much.  I'm not really much of an expert.  This is only my fifth foiled aircraft.   I could do one but it would have to wait until my next foil venture since pictures are a must.  In the meantime, I'll show you where I got my start:

http://www.finescale.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/6/7/d/foiledlightning1.pdf

Gaz

Great article - Thx Gaz

Looking forward to Kev's reference too

Torben

Hi everyone,

A bit of a struggle dealing with the wide and deep panel lines.  Last night I filled all of the details with a medium gray acrylic paint from a tube.  This morning after removing the excess, the panel lines look like this:

070619.jpg

070646.jpg

As you can see, they're way too light. 

The next attempt was to fill the same lines with Alclad Polished Aluminum.   The result didn't look much different.  With thinner details, the Alclad Polished Aluminum had done fine before.

So, I mixed Alclad Polished Aluminum with Alclad Gunmetal

075241.jpg

075251.jpg

The result is much more palatable,  But I'm not sure if it's dark enough, still.

I used the Alclad because the seams are pretty much full of acrylic paint.  I didn't think adding darker acrylic paint would survive the rubbing-off process.

Just a note to self and others:  Trench-like panel lines are bad!

What do you guys think about the second set of panel lines?

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

Much better second time around Gaz. I'm guessing the effect looks dark against the foil in some lighting and much paler in others wehn the foil work is in shadow.

Have you thought about running an additional fine graphite pencil line over the top of the panel lines? If you're worried about the reflectivity/shininess of graphite perhaps a fine dark grey or black colouring pencil? Not sure if the Alclad will have enough of a micro surface texture for any pencil to grip on... 

If tempted, please for goodness sake try throughly on a test piece first!!!

Torben

Torben,

I hadn't thought of pencil for this.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll give it a try in a few days.  I tend not to get much modelling done on work days.  Getting anything to stick to the foil while you try to buff off some of it is pretty difficult.

Gaz

I'm always amazed when I see someone foil an aircraft.  I just can't see how a wrinkled piece of aluminum foil can be smoothed over like that.  When you were doing the panel lines, were you spraying the alclad on the foil and sanding it off, leaving the remaining paint in the panel line?

I can see already this is gonna be amazing...

Bryan

Guys,

Thank you very much!

Bryan,

It's less difficult than you might think. If you think of most of the metal sculptures and car fenders you've seen in your life, you'll know that most of them started out as flat pieces of metal. Whether it's the Statue of Liberty or a VW beetle, it's all the same.

The man with his hammer or me with a coffee stirrer, we're still doing the same thing: using a tool to push the molecules in the metal in different directions to manipulate the shape of the metal. The main limiter for me is the fact that I can't anneal the metal because it's held to the model by adhesive.

I try to think of the foil not as a sheet, but as a block.

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

HI Again Everyone,

A small but very important update.  It's important because when it comes to foil removing the excess is just as important as how you lay the piece.  Today I extricated the clear parts from their blanket of foil.

201127.jpg

Delicately I had to cut around the frames then use the same knife-edge to lift the foil.  Then I peeled away fragments and slivers until I was left with clear parts that were covered in a hazy, tacky residue.  Rubbing alcohol and citrus-based goo remover were used to remove the remaining adhesive.

201115.jpg

Best of all no knife-cuts show in the clear parts.  I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Thanks for looking,

Gaz