Fisher 1/32 Ryan STM-2

LSP_Kevin

I used the Uschie decals for my floor however I have some experience with oils through figure, armour and ship modelling.

I prefer to undercoat with a tan then use burnt umber as my oil coat, try some of that.

Cheers

Brent (the 'other' ryan)

Thanks fellas. I think it takes a very skilled and experienced painter to approach the results a simple decal will give you these days, so that's what I'll try to go with in the future. I thought about removing the oil paint and starting again, but I have no idea how I'd achieve a sensible result with acrylics alone, and besides, leaving this one aside for a few days while the oil paint dries will give me a chance to kick off the Do 335 properly. Once the oil paint is closer to dry, I might try Ron's suggestion of the clear orange coat.

In the meantime, the seats are finished:

hHOar6.jpg

The seat belts are the PE ones supplied with the kit, and once annealed, are quite easy to work with. I'm quite pleased with those.

Here are the instrument panels:

yMuc4z.jpg

Again, just what's supplied in the kit. I used a very neat trick for the glass that Paul actually describes in the instructions: clear adhesive tape! I normally use thin acetate sheet for this sort of thing, but the tape is far easier, and gives a very similar result. Unfortunately none of my photos captured it clearly, but I'm pretty happy with this too. Oh, and just in case you were wondering, the dials are supplied as a printed instrument panel on paper, with a spare set just in case. Alignment with the PE panel is very good.

Anyway, that's it for now, and probably until the cockpit floor dries sufficiently.

Kev

Kev,

The kit supplied belts look great, I swapped mine for RB suttons as photos seem to indicate that when these aircraft were refurbished at QANTAS following their delivery from the Dutch East Indies (they were aparantly in a poor state) the belts were swapped for the standard RAAF suttons.

Cheers

Brent

Thanks for the info Brent - I hadn't realised that. I probably wouldn't have changed them anyway, since I really want to stick with what's in the box as much as possible for the sake of the 'review' element of the build. I may change up the rigging though - we'll see when we get there. Oh, and you'll be pleased to know that I'm now leaning towards the sand-and-spinach version!

Kev

Oh, while I've got your ear Brent, any idea what this part is, or is for?

TkZ1xl.jpg

Apologies for the poor photo. I suspect it's some kind of cylinder (compressed air? fire extinguisher?) for the cockpit, but I can't find mention of it in the instructions, nor see it in the photos.

Kev

It's a thermos, you are free to place it anywhere, I didn't bother as once the fuse is closed up you can't see much.

Glad to hear you are considering the camo bird, I think Paul would be happy to see both options on line

Cheers

Not  as much as I would like but I am try to finish the corsair stuff and expect to send them to Tim for casting sometime next week ;)

There is not much left to do...

I also bought a HKM B17 and, even if I know that this kit is not perfect, I spent 2 weeks staring at it and only then I managed to convince myself get it off the living room :rolleyes:

I am also 200% exited by the forthcoming Do 335 for obvious reasons...

Well, so any things I'd like to do and so little time

Edited by Loic

Thanks for your positive words chaps! After spending most of the last week working on the Do 335 while the cockpit floor dried on this one, I thought it was about time to pick it up again. I've assembled all the cockpit components and installed the final assembly into the starboard fuselage half:

HjjBep.jpg

VeHNPY.jpg

I just need to install the instrument panels and then I can close up the fuselage. This kit really builds quite quickly once you get going with it.

Kev