F4U-1D Brooklyn Butcher VMF-512 USS Gilbert Island, July 1945

1to1scale

I went by pictures, the early GSB aircraft were clearly different. It's funny, because the Insignia blue is completely an accident, I meant to mix Tamiya Sea Blue and Royal Blue, but I accidentally picked up XF-85 rubber (same cap color as Sea Blue), I mixed 2:1 and it came out perfect!

This photo shows an aircraft that has significant weathering and wear, but you can see they are different, and the insignia is definitely darker.

jOZx3wt.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

Yes great demonstration of the difference in that photo. This also shows that GSB was not always the bulletproof color I have read it to be. Plenty of chipping and weathering on this example! Thanks for sharing

My string of bad luck is following me.

Today, nothing was working out for me at work today, I wrapped up early, set up the paint booth, and proceeded to shoot some primer. I should have know, bad luck follows me. I loaded up the primer in the airbrush and started spraying. After a few seconds, I noticed the paint pattern was wonky, so I grabbed a cotton bud and some thinner and cleaned the nozzle. Started spraying angain, but the paint flow was dropping to nothing, suspectingting clumps in my primer, I poured off the cup, ran some cleaner through it and changed primer colors, started spraying again, same issue, it's clogging again. I then took the whole airbrush apart and did a deep super clean, put it all back together, then put more primer in it, clogged again! I ran some more cleaner through it and noticed bubbles in the cup. WTH?

I took it all apart again, made sure to take it all apart, and soak it in airbrush cleaner. A few hours later, I went to put it back together, noticed that the nozzle o-ring was broken (was perfect during the previous cleaning), I then found out that the paint cup o-ring was also broken! I just replaced it last time I painted! GRRR!

Realizing I needed to quit before I destroyed something else, I decided to put all the parts together and order some o-rings. It was then that I noticed, I had completely lost my needle locking nut!

This was just turning out to be a bad day...

Time to order a new airbrush.

I'm back at it, once again, the Hellcat masks i had didn't work as they were the wrong size and type of insignia. Also, the only place in the world that has this particular Montex mask set in stock, is in Australia. Which means $35 expedited shipped to get it within two weeks, I spent that the first time, but not again. So that's not an option as I'm not spending $70 to buy two sets of masks. Unfortunately, the insignia tore when I removed them the first time, so I didn't bother saving any masks either.

So now I am piecing together a set using leftovers and what I have. I managed to find the insignias in a set from a P-47 universal set, the wing tip bar masks were cut by knife from Tamiya tape, I still have the positive side of the “21†masks, as well as decals. So hopefully I can get paint down this weekend.

Nice to see your Hosenose back on track! Paint issues like that are the worst.   

The Corsair was such an interesting bird, one of the few cases of us putting an airframe in combat that had not had all its bugs worked out, but even so, it did very well.