Hs-129 B3

Dukie99

Finished rescribing the bottom of the wing and fuselage last night.

IMG_0694-L.jpg

A quick mock-up with the gun dry fitted in the gondola. I filled the sidewall of the gondola which need correction with epoxy and will now go on sanding to reshape the gondola before gluing it in place.

IMG_0695-L.jpg

And on to the next challenge:

IMG_0697-L.jpg

IMG_0698-L.jpg

See what I mean? On one side the two pieces landing gear fairing fit well together and fit reasonably well with the wing. On the other side one of the piece is too short by about 4mm. The offending piece seems cast in a different color of resin. At first I thought this would be impossible to correct, then I realized that the pieces fitted well nearest the cowling and fitted well at the very end of the fairing, just simply not at the same time. The plan is to cut the offending piece vertically along one of the panel lines, epoxy the two parts to the other piece, which will leave a gap of 4mm in the middle of the fairing. I will then glue a small sheet of styrene behind the gap and fill it with putty. At least that's the idea, we will see how it will turn out.

Cheers,

David

Guys, thanks for the advice, I will fill the gap with styrene and then sand to shape. The first step is done and next step tomorrrow.

IMG_0700-L.jpg

I also realized just before I started sanding the gondola that the shape was actually accurate upon stumbling on that photograph in one of my reference books. There is indeed a bulge of the left side of the gondola.

IMG_0699-L.jpg

So I will leave the shape of the gondola as is and glue it in place tomorrow.

Cheers,

David

Lucky there to detect it before starting to sand :)

Yes, there has been plenty of sanding up to now and more sanding to come, so I was glad to have spotted that one.

The landing gear fairing has been fixed, should not be noticeable under a coat of paint.

IMG_0703-L.jpg

As you can see the fit of the fairings is not that bad

IMG_0704-L.jpg

IMG_0706-L.jpg

IMG_0705-L.jpg

I glued the gondola with epoxy, fit is not bad but filler and sanding is needed. Could not resist the money shot (gun just dry fitted)

IMG_0707-L.jpg

I painted the wheel wells and the interior of the fairings in RLM 02 before a coat of Tamiya gloss. This week-end I will do a quick wash and a flat coat before gluing the fairings in place. I have been working on the engines, the casting is very poor but not much will be seen, so beyond adding the pushrods and the wiring I will not try to improve the engines.

The next challenge will be to fair over the gun ports on the fuselage. In the B-3, "only" the 75mm gun was carried, all other armaments were removed and the gun ports faired over. In the picture below (a lighter version of the one posted yesterday) you can clearly see the fairings. I am thinking of using the thinnest sheet styrene I have to do the lower gun port fairing. Any suggestion?

IMG_0701-S.jpg

Thanks for following this build.

Cheers,

David

Short update tonight. I have now epoxied the tail and elevators, sanding and filler tomorrow. I will then epoxy the wheel well fairings. I turned my attention to the engine cowlings, opening up the vents, going from that

IMG_0709-L.jpg

To that

IMG_0710-L.jpg

Hopefully more progress tomorrow.

Cheers,

David