Tamiya P-51D, Maybe Big Beautiful Doll?

CANicoll

Thanks for the kind words, guys!  VERY much appreciated.

So have the main wing elements together and painted. First I put on an uneven coat of Tamiya Fine Surface primer to simulate the putty and fill of the wing rivets.  Looks interesting in primer:

Wings_zpshpkfsbmk.jpg

And a close up of the left top wing under primer:

Wing%20after%20sanding%20L_zpszkxjigwf.j

I very lightly sanded with 600 grit sand paper, then 800 then 1200.  Its is VERY smooth now.   The gun bay doors were just put in place, no glue, but fit really well and did not let any spray into the gun bays. 

Here is the wing under the Flat Aluminum - I've put a coat of white at the wing tips as the decals only contain the black checkers, not black and white.

A%20Left%20wing%20painted_zpsl81fgirb.jp

Once the decals are in place (and under a nice coat of future) I'll mask and respray the flat aluminum to cover the white over spray.

Here I'm test fitting the rudder and horizontal stabilizers and elevators (the tail is actually not painted, still gray plastic) but the photo shows the nice contrast between the chrome silver stabilizers and the elevators painted with a mix of chrome silver and flat aluminum.  I'll try and take some better pictures to show the contrast as from some angles the colors look very close, but they reflect light very differently.  I like the effect. 

A%20Tail%20Test%20fit_zpspriaebje.jpg

I finally also tackled the pilot and standing figure.  I messed up the eyes on the standing figure's head so have to fix that.  Here is what I have so far. 

a%20body%201_zpsuwalqezn.jpg

Pilot figure more interesting and the subject to much test fitting.  Here is what I started with but have already cleaned up some seams and fixed the paint.

A%20cockpit%20test%201_zpsv0mgmj1n.jpg

And the other side before I fitted the left arm:

A%20cockpit%20test%202_zpsmaxbtjdb.jpg

And with both attached from the top.  Hope much of this is visible through the canopy (or I can slide the canopy open!)  I am really NOT a good figure painter, but I've been looking at all the figures painted in the forums so that is a HUGE help!

Honestly, if you look closely, there is a jumbled mess of seatbelts at the pilots crotch.  I'm counting on most people not having magnifying glasses with them.

A%20pilot_zpsfklxpxlc.jpg

And here is the pilot's head.  The separate clear goggles do not fit right so I will probably pose them on top of his head.

A%20face%202_zpssipt2ne0.jpg
That's it for now!

Put the pilot together and a small issue with spacing showed up - something I should have looked at much earlier before the fuselage halves were permanently joined. You will notice the pilots arms are rather low on his shoulder.  Otherwise it would not have reached the throttle or the stick.  Oh well. Hoping dark brown paint covers that up!

AP%20Pilot%203_zps9nbt4ah4.jpg

AP%20Pilot%202_zpslhym3af6.jpg

AP%20Pilot%201_zpshsjvkrla.jpg

I again took a bit of liberty with the color and in the last picture (above) you will see a red cap on the top of the oil tank.  I've seen people put PE caps on, but the red brings it out nicely too.

Edited by CANicoll

Tackling the decals finally.  Not for the faint of heart.  I wonder if/when the decal suppliers will start doing decals for the Tamiya kit.  The four part nose presents a big challenge to getting the checkers fitted properly.  I'm still looking to see how mine will turn out.

Here is the first part and you can see the challenges from the curves of the nose.

B%20Cowling%201_zps9y2uyk6y.jpg

I slit the decal along the checker lines in a number of places, then tucked the white checker under the black

The second nose part shows how the decal is challenged for the nose on both sides.  I found using a very sharp #11 blade and cutting on the lines between the checkers to allow the panels to overlap and let the decal snuggle down.

B%20Cowling%203_zpsd473ikwt.jpg

After a two doses of MicroSol the decals snug down really nicely on the details on the panels.  I'll have to do some painting on the gaps, but hopefully it will come together.  Viewed from a normal distance the gaps are not that noticeable, but I know they are there.

B%20Cowling%206_zpskuqlwrzc.jpg

B%20Cowling%204_zpsyupkbgrl.jpg

Taking heed of the great advice here, I cut the next checker panel into a strip and applied that on its own on the lower panel beneath the exhausts.  I may have cut it a tad short (I used the piece as the template over the decal, we'll see) but overall the panels on my plane are not very tight at any point in the test fitting I've done.  So this will be interesting.

B%20Cowling%209_zpssnn0sshq.jpg

This is before another round of MicroSol but the decal has laid down nicely now.  The panel fit is still not fantastic but I'm hoping this closes up once I get it all together.

Will be off for a few days, but hope to get the nose and wings checkered this week and weekend.

Edited by CANicoll

False alarm guys!  I just talked to Judy at EagleCals and the website statement that the decal set is made for the Tamiya kit refers to 1/48 scale, not 1/32.    Rats!  But she said they will look into creating an add-in sheet like they did for the 357th  especially for the 1/32 Tamiya Mustang.  Keeping fingers crossed on that one!

Original message:  Well, of course.  I should have looked before I started this:

EagleCals DOES now make a Tamiya-specific set of decals for Big Beautiful Doll.

http://www.eagle-editions.com/eaglecals-142-32-p-51-d-mustangs.html

Edited by CANicoll

Looks great so far!!

Great work on the checks - I'd be sweating something like that for weeks ahead of the decals going on, especially with compound curves like that. Well done.

Jim

haha, me too....................Id likely resort to having Randy @ StencilPal just cut me some masks instead, but it looks like your whiping the decals into shape!

False alarm guys!  I just talked to Judy at EagleCals and the website statement that the decal set is made for the Tamiya kit refers to 1/48 scale, not 1/32.    Rats!  But she said they will look into creating an add-in sheet like they did for the 357th  especially for the 1/32 Tamiya Mustang.  Keeping fingers crossed on that one!

Original message:  Well, of course.  I should have looked before I started this:

EagleCals DOES now make a Tamiya-specific set of decals for Big Beautiful Doll.

http://www.eagle-editions.com/eaglecals-142-32-p-51-d-mustangs.html

So sorry about this guys - we released these EagleCals in 2011 which I believe was before the Tamiya 1/32 kit. We'll look into doing separate checkers for the Tamiya 32nd; the 48th are for the 1/48th Tamiya P-51 Judy

Ok, bit the bullet and got all the checkers on the bird.  They are on, but I really do hope EagleCals or someone comes out with a set just for the Tamiya kit  It seems pretty obvious that the contours and shapes that Tamiya has for its P-51 nose are different than the other manufacturers.

Here is the nose, ready for the bottom checkers.  The chin scoop is tacked on just for positioning.

C%20A_zpshkgg7h7m.jpg

I used the panel top edge as the guide which left the chin edge showing the fit challenge.

C%20B_zps9rql1zsh.jpg

The back edge also doesn't follow any particular panel line:

C%20F_zpsfe2ipw06.jpg

Getting the checkers on the bottom.  In the picture, the bottom decal has been set already (The EagleCal decals react beautifully to Solvaset) and the top checkers are new.

C%20K_zpsldwsbjyf.jpg

It is VERY clear from this angle that I completely blew the checker alignment somehow.  There was very little overlap on the bottom so not sure where I messed this up:

C%20M_zpsxnkgjnvs.jpg

Happily the wing tip checkers went on much more easily.  Will post those pictures tomorrow as well as how the nose looks fully assembled.  I repainted the red chin scoop a brighter shade of red to better match the red outlines on the decal sheet.  Also I trimmed up the checkers along the edge of the chin scoop once the decals set so they look much better now than they do here.

So I'm REALLY unhappy at how all the pieces came together.  The left side of the aircraft has a big gap under the exhausts, which I think can be corrected with some pretty easy painting.  The removable panels are not very snug on my kit - I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has had the same experience?  I don't even have the top frame over the engine in place in these pictures.

F%20Cowling%20A_zpsjypbk92w.jpg

Worse, however, is the right side of the aircraft.   I completely blew the alignment of the checkers on the bottom but even the front of the nose is off and I'm not sure it is correctable to the degree that I would want it to be.  The thing that bothers me is that the checkers are aligned at the rear and over the exhaust openings but then diverge dramatically at the nose.  I need to ask Judy at EagleCal what happened.  When I go back and check the left side of the aircraft (see above), you can see that the checkers start to get out of alignment just forward of the exhausts so I don't think I blew something here.

The misalignment under that exhaust panel is strange because both the left and right sides underneath are joined up at the back of the panel and underneath.  But I just did not get things aligned properly where the other side panel came in and am kind of sick about it.  Frustrating that the left side is pretty close, but the right side is a disaster.

F%20Cowling%20C_zpsc5q4nclb.jpg

At this point I am seriously thinking about stripping all the checkers off and going with a different aircraft.  I'm very unhappy every time I look at the right side of the aircraft and looking at where I screwed it up.  Really bummed at the moment.  CRAP!  

I have the three planes from the kid of which only Glengary Guy interests me with the olive drab over silver and the weathering on that would be fun even though I've built the exact wrong model with the unshrouded exhausts and the blank breather plates under the nose ( I think Petie 2nd has been done a lot and have the same model issues there as well) and I have a set of decals from Super Scale International  made for the Tamiya kit for Vivacious Virgin - which is interesting due to the sharks mouth but otherwise is a rather plain bird or Moonbeam McSwine which has only a tad more color.  Just really unhappy at the BBD Checker saga and how it has turned out.  Arrgh!

Next step is to just stop for a bit, get the clear parts masked and ready to attach to the plane and get ready for paint.  Then decide the fate of the checkers.  I think I can graft the shrouded exhausts in place and take care of that issue.  The nose vents, I may tack the vented panel over the solid ones and just drill out the holes.  No big deal there. 

Your thoughts and suggestions are VERY welcomed as to next steps.  I have lots I can still play with including the PE doors over the guns and ammo.

Edited by CANicoll

Guest Peterpools

Chris

I struggled with my BBD nose checkers and completely agree they don't fit the Tamiya kit correctly. I have been contemplating and BBD down the road and even though I have another set of EagleCal decals for the aircraft, am either considering using the checker board nose from a Zotz set or actually biting the bullet and masking the whole enchilada. I'm willing to bet the time, frustration  and effort gone into the checker board nose decals, wouldn't be that much less then masking.

Peter

Chris

I struggled with my BBD nose checkers and completely agree they don't fit the Tamiya kit correctly. I have been contemplating and BBD down the road and even though I have another set of EagleCal decals for the aircraft, am either considering using the checker board nose from a Zotz set or actually biting the bullet and masking the whole enchilada. I'm willing to bet the time, frustration  and effort gone into the checker board nose decals, wouldn't be that much less then masking.

Peter

Peter,  I ordered the Zotz decals on Monday as I'm just not sure I can do the masking route on this large and complex a project with all the curves on the cowl and don't want to screw it up (again!).  They should get here this week and I will keep you posted on my progress.  Had a great email exchange with Eli from Zotz so I'm VERY optimistic they will fit much better.  

I stripped the nose last night and now need to finish cleaning up the top cowling then am going to paint a gloss white layer for the decals to sit on (and the Zotz need a white strip at the nose anyway).  Should all be dry by the time the decals arrive.

Otherwise I've been looking for an alternative plane and just have not found anything that grabs me so far.  Judy at EagleCals is also looking into doing a Tamiya-specific set of checkers for BBD which could then be used for a number of Duxford Mustangs (like the Zotz kit).

Hang in there, great to have a very supportive community here otherwise it would be :headbang: time!

Chris

Ok, Stripped off the EagleCal checkers and cleaned up pieces best as I could.  Better yet, the Zotz set came in today! They look thicker than the EagleCals decals, and they are.  The carrier is pretty noticeable as well as you will see.

B%20Decals_zpskawxkrtk.jpg

I had already painted the white underlayer (more on that shortly) so started decaling.  The decals come off the paper very quickly and easily but once on the model do not like to be moved around.  I usually wet the surface I'm decaling, but still, best to try and position it as close to where you want it as you can.

L%20Cowling%201_zpszov79uqm.jpg

Even with the cut outs, I had a bit of a hard time getting the decals to sit on the nose properly.  I resorted to a bit of cutting, extending three checkers in from the front and that helped quite a bit. The sides over the exhaust cut outs fit very well.  The decals are definitely thicker than the EagleCal ones which went down beautifully with just a coat of two of MicroSol.  

The carrier film is pretty noticable as well.  I'll trim after its dry, but highly recommend trimming the carrier away first.

M%20Cowling%202_zpskwuqka3n.jpg

P%20Side%20Left_zpsuoc4bnab.jpg

The thickness of the decals is apparent here.

T%20Nose%201_zpsvmoptpjh.jpg

This is after 5 times with MicroSol and sitting under a warm lamp:

Solvaset%201_zpsqh6kgolc.jpg

Solvaset%202_zps3qwwayrw.jpg

These are definitely not going down easy, even though they fit  much better (so far) than the EagleCal set.  I'll get some new Solvaset or something tomorrow but not sure that is the problem.  We'll see tho!

One more thing, the Zotz decals are somewhat translucent (bummer!).  I was not as measured as I should have been when I painted the white on the top cowl and the side pieces.  Lesson learned...

Edited by CANicoll

Still looks pretty good to me................

BUT, if you continue to experience issues, I might HIGHLY recommend someone like Randy (sluggo) @ StencilPal.   I know this may have been brought up before so apologies if thats the case, Im just a very satisfied customer.

Randy would also be able to size you some specific masks that would already be designed for this kit, and have the proper nose contours.  The obvious disadvantage is another expence for the paint masks, seeing as you already purchased (multiple) decals sets.

Either way, keep going!