Tamiya P-51D with custom stencils

Bravo52

One of my goals was to build this Mustang with the removable cowl.  Many I know who built this kit just glued the cowl on.  That's an option, however, I wanted the "full experience" on this one.  Once I got the stencil on the nose, I had to cut it apart so I could paint the cowl pieces without having to mask the whole plane again... The red I used was Tamiya TS-49 straight from the can.  It is also a perfect match for the X-7 red in the acrylic line (great for touch-ups   :whistle: )

cowl%20stencil_zpsw9njgwwg.jpg

This worked perfect.  Once the red was on the cowl, I was ready for a little flash of color.  I wanted to immediately add the nose art...but had to wait for the red to dry.  After about two days, I applied the nose art stencil as directed in the instructions.

Daisy%20stencil_zpse3ol9f7u.jpg

Then the color...and it seems bright, but it turned out perfect!  The red and the blue on the silver is awesome.  I had to mix the blue from X-14 Sky Blue, a little X-4 Blue and finally a dash of XF-18 Medium Blue.  I didn't write the mix formula down as it was a "back-and-forth" between me and my wife on what was "right." I don't think it's that important because I was trying to match a color painting and there is really no way of knowing if that was the correct shade of blue.   

Blue%20Daisy_zpssbvin0wf.jpg

Edited by Bravo52

I had great success with the nose that I move on to the squadron codes.  This was a pretty unique set up for the stencils.  Randy cut the stencils in such a way that made it almost impossible to get wrong.  The edges of the stencils aligned with panels on the model.  I did run into a problem where the stencil was too big to handle so I had to attack it in pieces.  I chalk that up to my inexperience in this scale.  I've weeded a lot of vinyl so that wasn't an issue, but having an extra hand would have helped.  I guess I could have used water to position the piece, but I didn't want to go down that road...Wait...what's that you say?  What is weeding???  

That's when you get rid of the "extra" parts of a vinyl cut job that you don't need.  My bench looked like this after weeding...

weeding_zpstbp0qntz.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the stencil on the mustang, however, when you apply the stencil, it has marks that align with the fuel tank opening, the cockpit sill and an access panel under the horizontal tail...I really do mean you can't mess this up.  Ok, I can, but most can't... :shrug:

This time I did decant the TS-49 and sprayed that with my airbrush.

Red%20base_zpsmgwosnhc.jpg

Once that was left to dry for a while, I applied another stencil in the same way, and sprayed the black.

black%20cover_zpsddjs4ebd.jpg

This thing is starting to look great!

So with all the basic markings complete, the Mustang is starting to look as I envisioned.  Lt Raymond Dyer's Mustang is living on my bench.  That's a long way from 1945...

Glamor%201_zpsjtvl6lr3.jpg

Thanks Harv!  I must confess, the Mustang is finished but I haven't had time to take the "Money" shots yet.  I'm hoping for one of those coveted FaceBook post pictures!  :thumbsup:

Edited by Bravo52

Fantastic work, Jerry! Looks amazing. You've done a terrific job with Randy's stencils. I think I might have to hit him up for a set for "Princess Elizabeth". I'm a fan of Tamiya's spray can silvers too, though I tend to use AS-12 Bare Metal Silver as my go-to shade.

Kev

Looking good Jerry. Can't wait to see more pics. 

Did you happen to use the pre-mask? When I was test fitting the set, I found that aligning the huge fuselage pieces was easier laying it from back to front with the model nose up and allowing the stencil to drape over your hand while positioning. I also did not have the wing in place, which would definitely be a factor. 

I am trying to get a hold of a mule that I can assemble to make more products for this kit. I've made three sets for this kit already and I'm getting a little nervous about using my "keeper" for test fitting.

Kev, what kit are you using for the Princess? I don't recall ever seeing her as anything but a P-51C

Kev, what kit are you using for the Princess? I don't recall ever seeing her as anything but a P-51C

My two choices are the Trumpeter kit or the Revell kit. Both obviously have issues, but I'm leaning towards the Trumpeter kit, simply because it would be less work to get a presentable result (especially since it's only meant for displaying the markings).

Kev