Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind Mk 1

Iain

Nice 4+ publications on both types.

Warpaint too, (for the Whirlwind, using the exact same cover image as the 4+ book). Pretty soon, I'll be grabbing the Valiant Wings book on the Whirlwind, as I'm sure, based upon the review that Kev did, it'll be a very worthwhile purchase for me.

http://www.saltfordenvironmentgroup.org.uk/history/historyresources/1941-whirlwind-crash-saltford-station-by-philharding.pdf

I think my father would have gone to the other crash, as I am pretty sure at that time,  his family were living nearby the house directly opposite the entrance to Haycombe Cemetery. I think it is a Vets now, but at the time it was a funeral directors office, and my grandfather was a monumental stone mason, worked in the yard preparing and maintaining the memorials and headstones in the cemetery. Kelston is nearer there than Saltford. 

Hm, actually, looking at the map, there isn't much in it!! 

Small world indeed! And all the more reason to get one of the kits when it is released!

Hello Tim

I think your father was probably on about another crash that happened on the 28th October 1941, three weeks after the awfully similar Saltford /Kelston tragedy.

A training flight lead by Wing Commander John Sample DFC (BoB vet), leader of 137 squadron RAF Charmy Down, ended tragically when his Whirlwind was struck by another. He fatally bailed out too low and both he and his machine crashed through the roof of Manor Farm in Englishcombe, fortunately the other aircraft managed to recover back to Charmy Down.

Englishcombe is just a couple of minutes cycle ride from Haycombe Cemetery and I would of thought the more likely event.

I've been waiting a long time for a Whirlwind to be done in 1:32, such an 'Art Deco' aeroplane with a fantastic look. It has a special local interest factor for me, and of course comes from Somerset!

I intend to do the machine that crashed in our railway station yard, P6968 piloted by PO Ormonde Hoskins.

From what I understand these aircraft, by October 1941 should have been repainted Dk. Green/Medium Sea Grey/Ocean Grey. Anyone know any different?

I have Classic Airframe's 1:48 job which I guess will now go the way of ebay!

I'm seriously tempted.  Apparently, despite all the engine troubles, pilots loved them.  As there were only two squadrons, they tended to get posted from one to the other, and built up quite abit of experience.  Alas, I can't remember where I read that, but it was relatively recent.

What's not so recent is the last Whirlwind I built, the old original-issue Airfix 1:72 kit. And now, having realised that, I'm a bit more tempted to buy this one than I was when I started writing this post. :piliot:

Edited by MikeC

If I remember correctly the Airfix Whirlwind was a Series 1 in a plastic bag with a card header.........

U

Oh my, does that bring back memories because they all used to hang on a circular stand.......

Now that does takes me back. No interior, just 2 pegs to sit a pilot figure on.