1:24 Airfix Mosquito Gun Bay Upgrade

robertmro

Hi Guys,

When I started this project I didn't realize that I could turn to this forum for help. Now that I'm going into the final phase a of this kit and I need some input.

The ammo boxes will go the printing service as soon as I'm convinced that I got it right.

Please look at these renders and suggest any changes.

Thanks

ammo_box.01.JPG

ammo_box.02.JPG

The reference that I have and which is the same as Tamiya's rendition, doesn't have a rectangular indentation on the top. It's just flat.

The original Airfix ones have an indentation and Eduard Brassin upgrade has one that projects up off the surface.

The service manual has a rectangle on the top but it isn't clear weather it goes up or down.

I'll probably just remove it because I have a picture that shows it sans rectangle.

Wouldn't mind a set, will you sell to the UK?

I will be selling to the UK from my website but I have been receiving complaints from British customers about VAT and other local charges.

I'm looking for a way make it more affordable there.

This looks stunning in CAD but surely for gun barrels, which always look better as turned metal than any other medium in 1/32, they *need* to be in metal in 1/24?

This seems to be going down the Eduard Brassin route...why not make just the gun ‘block' and everything else, but leave the barrels to the likes of Master Model?

This looks stunning in CAD but surely for gun barrels, which always look better as turned metal than any other medium in 1/32, they *need* to be in metal in 1/24?

This seems to be going down the Eduard Brassin route...why not make just the gun ‘block' and everything else, but leave the barrels to the likes of Master Model?

You have a good point.

I thought long and hard about this. However, after studying my reference it became noticeable that the barrels have a slight taper toward the front end and there is a bolt-like area on the flash cone to grasp with a wrench. Furthermore there are tubes that barrels pass through before exiting the nose of the fuselage that need to be part of the casting.

The exquisite Master barrels don't taper or have the bolt and would be difficult to fit to the tubes. However, anyone is free to cut off the cast barrels and add brass ones. Doing so would also double the cost of the modification and be less accurate.

I agree with Eduard Brassin's decision but I can't find any reference that verifies the single slot in the ammo chutes.