1/18TH JSI F-14B Tomcat conversion

A-10LOADER

Greetings everyone,

Small update for today, I had to add some .010" sheet plastic to the tails, to make up for a slight gap, where they meet the forward fairings. I want to paint the tails separately from the jet, to avoid that dry overspray area I'd get between the tails during painting.

IMG_3317_zps49ff84ae.jpg

Everything sanded down and blended in. This will allow me to be able to attach the tails after paint and have a seamless fit.

IMG_3315_zpsf8a2693f.jpg

Thanks for checking in all,

Steve

Back at the bench today,

Up next, adding the air intake for the fuel vent on the left vertical tail's forward fairing.

IMG_3316_zps8b9567c8.jpg

Air intake for the fuel vent sketched with pencil, here goes nothing.

IMG_3319_zpsffd332fe.jpg

My choice of tools for the "minor surgery".

IMG_3325_zps298e8c6f.jpg

After about 20 minutes here's the result. Kinda hard to see in these photos but, it looks really good IMO. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. We'll see how it looks after some primer.

IMG_3327_zps4e26529a.jpg

IMG_3328_zpsce2d519b.jpg

IMG_3329_zps8ce66a7b.jpg

Steve

Today's update,

OK, finally received my other "Bombcat" parts from my friend, thanks Ted !! Great job !! These are the two aft Phoenix pallets complete with the BRU-32 bomb racks and BDU-50's (inert MK-82 500lb. bombs). I will be converting these to " live " MK-82's. This gives me the availability to equip my Tomcat with different loadouts, which is what I want to do. Enjoy the photos.

Steve

_MG_7904_zpsfc6088dc.jpg

_MG_7909_zps61d2489b.jpg

_MG_7908_zps5ee097c2.jpg

Made a little headway this weekend. Got alot of parts ready for primer.

IMG_3354_zpsdfd4c23a.jpg

The more I looked at the tails the more I wanted to replace the lights on them so, out came the saw and now they are ready to receive the new lights. This old toothbrush, from my stash bin, will do the trick. I won't even have to paint it, bonus !

IMG_3357_zps59e4b773.jpg

Pieces cut, cut ends wet sanded and polished and, ready for installation.

IMG_3359_zps7c6bbaab.jpg

Here's some shots of the tail lights finished up. Some super glue to secure them in place, a little shaping with my rotorary tool and, some wet sanding, followed up with a buffing with the rotary tool. Look MUCH better in my opinion and, now the tails are ready for some primer.

IMG_3367_zps75732986.jpg

IMG_3366_zps6d279d09.jpg

IMG_3365_zpsde5dc8a0.jpg

So up to this point it is now May 2013. I'll work on getting some more "updates" transferred over when more time allows. For those of you who find this thread interesting, thanks for stopping by and having a look around.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and, a Happy New Year. Please take a moment to remember those who are deployed and can't be home with their families.

Steve

Looking forward to it Steve!  If it comes out half as good as your last 1/18 'Cat, it will be spectacular.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, like I've said in the past, coming from someone like you that means a lot.

Steve

Geez

Fantastic work on re-building and detailing the Bombcat.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter, much appreciated.

Steve

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback, I'm glad your enjoying the show.

I have some carbon fiber decal for the engine shrouds Erwan, we'll see how that works on compound curves when the time comes.

Steve

Time to get this project rolling again, I was finally able to get some things in primer today. Everything looks good, no more filling and wet sanding for these items, ready for paint next.

IMG_3463_zpsf34b299c.jpg

Finally something to show after all the prep work. Colors applied to some of the parts. Tails are FS36081 Euro 1 Grey ( Model Master spray can ) and, the rest of the parts are FS36375 Light Ghost Grey ( Tamiya spray can ). I decided to use the cans over my airbrush because I felt the parts were too big. Too much area to cover. This is the first time I've ever used spray cans for my models but, I must say that they worked beautifully. I swear by MM paints and use nothing else but, the Tamiya paint sprays so nice and it has such a fine pigment that you can't tell it was done with cans.

Some additional colors need to be applied to some of the parts then I can gloss coat them before weathering.

IMG_3473_zpsd57a8306.jpg

Steve

AIM-9's, with fresh paint, will get some attention as well.

IMG_3477_zps4e37ae62.jpg

Received my other 2 resin bomb racks and MK-82's yesterday, thanks Ted. Marking the hole locations, for the bomb racks, on the forward pallets. Once they are installed I can get everything in primer and apply some color.

IMG_3481_zps02ffff2b.jpg

Bombs racks fitted to the forward pallets, bombs drilled and fitted to the racks, ready for some primer.

IMG_3482_zps3d7c6626.jpg

IMG_3483_zpsbc1c41d4.jpg

Until the next update ......

Steve

Today's update,

Decided to do a little panel fastener detail work today on the Cat. It came with some but needed some more IMO.

IMG_3496_zps45ee7599.jpg

Close up shot showing the details added to the beaver tail section. I used a #78 drill bit in my pin vise. I also had to scribe in some panel lines.

d69960a1-a625-4512-8e77-0e01f89af582_zps

bb5b115a-7258-4590-b176-2c0998abee6e_zps

IMG_3494_zpsaee08414.jpg

I even added the 36 screw holes that go around the outer lip of the engine shroud. This area will be covered with a carbon fiber decal and then I can dab the holes with silver, to represent the screw heads. That's the plan anyway, we'll see how it works.

Steve

IMG_3492_zps690155a1.jpg