1/32 HPH Lavochkin La-7

petrov27

Interior bits painted with base coat. Used AKAN A-14 grey - first time I have used this brand of paint. For grins just dumped it outta the bottle into the airbrush to see how it would fair; went on great, very pleased. I did shoot a second coat with a drop of white in the grey as I will likely use a wash on the interior and dont want it getting too dark in there. Also first time airbrushing with new Christmas present - Sparmax Arism mini compressor - it also performed very nice - soooo much quieter than my old giant compressor....

001_zpsc3wktfxt.jpg[/url]

Built up the instrument panel. I am just not sure I am sold on the pre-painted Eduard etched stuff like what is provided here. The color is strange with part of the panel in a faded blue-black but the center portion in unfaded solid black - pretty sure the entire panel should be just one color? You can also see a print pattern in the faded black that is really apparent in the close up pic (so is the glue spot I have to clean up.) Also the instrument faces themselves are pretty basic.

The etch is otherwise good - I may just see if I can strip the paint off the whole thing and paint it myself and add some instrument decals (not sure anyone does WW2 Russian instrument decals?) Anyone have experience with stripping the paint off these etched parts and what works for it? It seems to be on there pretty good and fairly thick....

006a_zpsiy9l1uvq.jpg

Your work is fantastic, but I have to agree about the instrument faces provided. They look a little hokey to me and I would have expected better, especially in this scale. But, again, that's not a dig on you or your work, because it's great and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this one. 

John

I have a similar feeling about Eduard's pre-painted IPs. The process is a 4-colours printing one (probably Inkjet process) and does not stand close-up scrutiny.

As for cleaning them up, I'd suggest the usual suspects : oven-cleaning foam (containing caustic soda) or a bath in acetone (which evaporates fast unfortunately, so this needs constant checking)

Keep-up the good work :popcorn:

Hubert

The instrument panel is certainly not one of their better efforts especially the gauge markings. I have found that giving the outer panel a coat of your favorite flat coating before assembly lessons the fabric effect and takes the gloss away.