Kawanishi N1K1

Bruce_Crosby

Hi Guys,

Having bought a few Hasegawa Japanese fighters recently, there seems to be one model that is impossible to find. I refer to the Kawanishi N1K1 which came in two forms, one with a normal wheeled undercarriage, one as a float plane.

I see that Revell used to manufacture one, but that was decades ago and by all accounts the molds were lost at sea. Any still available are stupid prices.

I've got the N1K2 George kit (beautiful) and don't think I can get back to a K1 from there.

So why haven't Hasegawa jumped in with a new model, rather than giving us a Zero?

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Honestly, I will welcome the new Zero-less expensive than the Tamiya and should be easily modified to an earlier 52.  BUT, the N1K1, should be done by Hasegawa.  Their 48th scale kit is very nice.  I built the old Takara- Revell kit, but a more modern version would be welcome.  There is something about the midwing plane that is more appealing to me.

Though the N1K2 is an evolution of the N1K1, there are vast differences - in the air frame, cockpit, and main landing gear. While I'm sure there are some who could backdate the N1K2, it's well beyond my capability.

The old Revell kit is nice though. The shape is pretty accurate, but it has raised panel lines and a sparse cockpit. There is no detail in the gear bay. Bringing it up to current Hasegawa standards is a lot of work. I've been doing just that for months.

There have been a couple of conversions for the float plane version, too - one vac, and the OOP Scratchbuilders resin set (which might cost you nearly as much as the old Revell kit, if you can find one).

I've built the Tamiya A6M5, have their A6M2 in the stash, an old Revell and a couple of Tomy Zeros in the stash, too - I won't be buying the Hasegawa kit despite the "value factor".

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies on what seems to be a minority subject, like no crosses on the wings!

If I could get a Revell kit at a reasonable price, NOT another mortgage, I know I could do something with it. Unfortunately there aren't that many (read none) available with that criteria. In fact two kits would be nice as I want to build the float plane as well.

For the float it would probably be possible to hack up a Revell Arado float set, the second kit that had just one float with outriggers. Might be longer, might be shorter, nothing that a saw, plasticard and filler can't solve.

I've got some 1/48 scale kits on order (yes, I'm a heretic!) which are Tamiya and Hasegawa of most Japanese fighters, so reasonably easy to scale up from.

Of course, there is always option B. Wait a few months until I retire. Get some drawings, some plasticard and make the airframe myself.

Oh well, I could always open the two George kits and make them.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

I hope you know that there are substainatial differences between the the float and land plane? Nearly every feature is changed in lesser or greater ways. So, while you can get to a "Rex" from an early "George", to do an accurate job will mean some level of slice and dice on everything. I'm considering a 1/24 conversion, and will be only using a vac-formed copy that can be massively chopped for some parts (as the kit is the late form "George")  and will simply scratch-build the fuselage.

I've been on-and-off (mostly off) working on a Rex for about a decade.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=2182

I used the Combat vac kit for my Rex, and I think it works well as a conversion.

I also have one of the early Takara/Revell N1K1 kits and one of the Swallow N1K2.

They are so radically different, I'm honestly amazed that they are considered to be the same series of aircraft.

Mike

There are a "bunch" of us that would LOVE to see a Hase REX. I would imagine that plane would sell as well in Japan as here in the US.

Thats kinda the impression I got as well!  I know that Has's 1st  market isnt the US, and a LOT of their sales come from the local Japanese market...............I would think a Rex would sell like GANGBUSTERS over there, and as Mike indicated, would sell I think at least reasonably well here in the states. 

I know id buy a 32nd N1K1 in a NYC minute! 

The new-ish Hase kit is the low -wing fighter. The REX was based on the initial mid-wing fighter; they added floaty bits and much like the Zero/Rufe- wound up with a pretty good fighter. So good in fact, that modelers 70 years later are clamoring for a 1/32 release of the same plane.

And now for something really different: Revell of Japan originally released the Ki-61 Tony, N1K1 George, and the J2m3 Jack; those molds were reportedly "lost" in a Gojira generated typhoon, and so there is a finite number of those kits available. While the kits do have simplified interiors, the surface detail is exquisite.  Hase has released the Jack, Tony, and a George, albeit the low wing fighter.

The Hase Ki-43 is a mix of -1 and -3 parts, so it pays to do some research beforehand. I have not seen the Revell kit for about 350 years.

The new-ish Hase kit is the low -wing fighter. The REX was based on the initial mid-wing fighter; they added floaty bits and much like the Zero/Rufe- wound up with a pretty good fighter. So good in fact, that modelers 70 years later are clamoring for a 1/32 release of the same plane.

And now for something really different: Revell of Japan originally released the Ki-61 Tony, N1K1 George, and the J2m3 Jack; those molds were reportedly "lost" in a Gojira generated typhoon, and so there is a finite number of those kits available. While the kits do have simplified interiors, the surface detail is exquisite.  Hase has released the Jack, Tony, and a George, albeit the low wing fighter.

The Hase Ki-43 is a mix of -1 and -3 parts, so it pays to do some research beforehand. I have not seen the Revell kit for about 350 years.

Actually, the REX came first - Kawanishi was primarily a manufacturer of flying boats and float planes. When converted to a land based fighter, the mid wing design meant long landing gear - which were complex and problematic. The wing was moved down to shorten the landing gear. In the process, they managed to reduce parts significantly.

I would love to see Hasegawa produce the land based version, with the likes of MDC creating a REX conversion similar to their Rufe set.

I also agree that a new tool Ki-43 i much needed in our grand scale! I have the old Revell kit in the stash somewhere - I'm not sure if I've ever looked closely at what's inside.

Edited by Bill_S

I would love to see Hasegawa produce the land based version, with the likes of MDC creating a REX conversion similar to their Rufe set.

That is actually a GREAT idea Bill. It would not only save the IM manuf from producing a model (Rex) that they may, or may not get their tooling money back on, but yet let the guys (including the Japanese market people)  who have been clamoring for a land based N1K for EVER, and let the manuf make some money on it.

That way, the guys who do want a Rex can still get one, and wont have to wait for the IM manuf to modify their new tool land based kit............which may or may not ever even happen.

Edited by Out2gtcha