If only you knew the power of the Dark Side!- 1 1/12 Darth Vader

BloorwestSiR

I hadn't really planned to start this but I'm in a bit of a holding pattern with my Mossie builds. I will also be spending most/all of my free time for the next few days getting Halloween costumes ready for my two sons for the 31st. So this seemed like it would be a quick project. I mean, press fit assembly, one colour, how hard could it be?

IMG_20151024_150558.jpg

Here's the box contents:

IMG_20151024_150622.jpg

Yup, lots of black plastic. Kev had a concern that the kit was mostly an unassembled action figure so time to find out I guess.

Upon close examination of the sprues, Bandai has really paid attention to nhoie they've moulded the figure. There are parts that have a high gloss finish and others that are more matte or semigloss.

IMG_20151024_150737.jpg

Here are the arm and leg bits that show thee more matte finish.

IMG_20151024_150753.jpg

Assembly starts with Vader's helmet. The inner section is moulded as well and there are stickers for detailing it. Or, you can choose to use the duplicate decals if you want.

IMG_20151024_151550.jpg

IMG_20151024_151615.jpg

I decided to paint a couple details on his helmet with chrome silver.

IMG_20151024_151930.jpg

Then I assembled his hips, followed by his legs. These were all snapped together and given a quick spray of semi gloss black. This is Vader doing his best Darth Maul impression:

IMG_20151025_103120.jpg

So far, its been about an hour at the bench. I think I should have him done tomorrow.

Carl

Looking forward to this one, Carl!

I remember my parents taking me to see the very first Star Wars movie in 1977 or 78. It was at a drive-in theater (most kids today don't even know what that is! LOL). I've always been a huge fan of the series and, even though I don't have many of the toys and stuff around anymore, my younger brother has the Star Wars collector's disease, in a huge way. He has enough stuff to fill almost an entire basement, floor to ceiling!

John

Thanks John, I saw the first one in theatre too. It was a school trip if you can believe that. Pretty much my entire junior school went to see it. 

As for toys, I had a few of the figures and the Millennium Falcon but my sister sold them all at a garage sale when I wasn't home one day.

I made some more progress on Vader. I assembled his upper torso.

IMG_20151026_171243.jpg

I then put both of his arms together. Here are all the parts for his left arm laid out after removal from their sprue.

IMG_20151026_200648.jpg

I made sub-asemblies out of the arms and hands. Here's the worst seam on the kit so far:

IMG_20151026_172340.jpg

I then masked the upper part for the two tone finish. Here it is with the arms ready for paint.

IMG_20151027_160733.jpg

The base was painted in Metallic grey and then masked off for gloss black.

IMG_20151027_161135.jpg

With the tape removed:

IMG_20151027_161327.jpg

Looking forward to this one, Carl!

I remember my parents taking me to see the very first Star Wars movie in 1977 or 78. It was at a drive-in theater (most kids today don't even know what that is! LOL). I've always been a huge fan of the series and, even though I don't have many of the toys and stuff around anymore, my younger brother has the Star Wars collector's disease, in a huge way. He has enough stuff to fill almost an entire basement, floor to ceiling!

John

I saw Star Wars back in '77, courtesy of my best friend's parents at the time taking me (my parents were really struggling financially back then and couldn't afford it).  Boy oh boy!  

I'm still a Star Wars fan, although I'm hesitant about the new Disney efforts led by Abrams, I'm really worried he'll stuff them up like he stuffed the Star Trek reboots up...(yeah, I'm a Trekkie too!).  

As to toys, I have an extensive collection both of the original Kenner figures (every *single* One of them, including a carded TriLogo Yak Face [Canadian/Australian version which had a weapon, unlike the US release version] and a Blue Snaggletooth.  The former cost me AUD $600 in the late 90s, the latter AUD $200 as a loose figure (below average condition).  The Snaggletooth is a sears special edition, that you could send away for.  I believe it was released before the movie was even released to the cinemas and differs a lot from the standard Snaggletooth (height and colours).  I also have a full set of the original Marvel Star Wars comics, other than the ultra rare #1 which will probably set you back 10k USD these days :(  I had an opportunity to buy one back in the late 90s for AUD $400 and balked at it, and I'm kicking myself badly now.  *sigh*.  I also collected the original Black bordered series of CCGs (collectible card games) from Decipher in the early 00s.  I have the main base set and the first 3 expansions, but lost interest after that.  

I hate what Lucas did with the remastered versions to be honest, would love to see the original untouched trilogy on Blu ray in its original form.  I didn't mind the prequels, they weren't as bad as some fans are making them out to be, although most of the acting was wooden and there was too much focus on SFX and not enough on story and quality actor's dialogue imho.  

Carl - nice job so far, might have to hunt down this kit to satisfy my Star Wars urges.  

May the force be with you!

Dave

Fantastic work, Lord Carl! :D He really looks as menacing as in the movies!

Dave,

I have to agree with you. The remastered versions wouldn't have bothered me as much if they hadn't added anything. Cleaning them up was probably a good move, though. As for the prequels, I'm also a fan of those and I don't get where all the hate comes from. Sure, there's a few cheesy moments, but hey, it's a movie and they had to add some things to capture the attention of the next generation of fans, even if those of us who grew up with it may have found them a little childish. All in all, I think Lucas did a great job in building the story with those movies and really added some depth and gravity to it.

John

Thanks Chris and Dave. I finally took a couple pictures of Vader with his cape on.

IMG_20151104_231824.jpg

IMG_20151104_231844.jpg

For the couple of hours I spent building him I'm happy with the results.

Now, what should I start next?

Carl

*uses a force suggestion* you will build the Fine Molds 1/72 Millenium Falcon and send it to me when it's completed.

:innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent:

Dave,

I have to agree with you. The remastered versions wouldn't have bothered me as much if they hadn't added anything. Cleaning them up was probably a good move, though. As for the prequels, I'm also a fan of those and I don't get where all the hate comes from. Sure, there's a few cheesy moments, but hey, it's a movie and they had to add some things to capture the attention of the next generation of fans, even if those of us who grew up with it may have found them a little childish. All in all, I think Lucas did a great job in building the story with those movies and really added some depth and gravity to it.

John

yes, the clean up was definitely needed on the original series.  Lucasfilm did a grand job there, One of the best clean ups done yet to an older film imho (although Ridley Scott's brilliant Alien is superbly restored, as is An American Werewolf in London and Bladerunner!!!).  The prequels were weaker than they should have been in overall plot imho.  I have several ideas that would have made great plot stories, far better than what Lucas managed!  The dialogue was terrible in parts, just terrible, especially a lot of dialogue given to Christian.  Obi Wan's character was superbly done though imho.  I took a liking to Mace's character too.  Master Yoda is One of my all time faves, but I was disappointed that he was all digital - he lost a bit of feel imho.  I quite liked Jar Jar.  I know a lot of people hated him, but I just had a soft spot for him, and still do.  I still like to annoy people with "meesa don thing sooo!" lol.

I was very lucky with the Phantom Menace - I would have been amongst the first 4-500 people to see the film in Australia.  The movie had an advanced screening at 9pm, with general first session to the public at midnight.  I got into the Australian fan club's 6.30 showing with a bunch of mates  ;-)  The roar was deafening when the opening credits rolled and I went all goose bumpery!!!!!  Was an amazing session spent with other likeminded super fans.

MTFBWY!

Dave

Dave,

John

Thanks John! There are a couple optional hands that you can swap out and one of them is a fist so you can pose him when he's talking to Luke on Cloud City after loping his hand off. 

I've got a stack of these Bandai kits and haven't started one yet.

I think your Vader looks pretty awesome though.

Give one a try Joe, they're a great distraction low stress build. I find it's nice to work on one when I have a more complicated build on the go.

Nice! One little red led in the light sabre and run the wires up inside his arm and down his leg and you have a Darth that lights up at night!

Thanks Vitali, I haven't tried lighting a kit yet but will one day. 

*uses a force suggestion* you will build the Fine Molds 1/72 Millenium Falcon and send it to me when it's completed.

:innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent:

yes, the clean up was definitely needed on the original series.  Lucasfilm did a grand job there, One of the best clean ups done yet to an older film imho (although Ridley Scott's brilliant Alien is superbly restored, as is An American Werewolf in London and Bladerunner!!!).  The prequels were weaker than they should have been in overall plot imho.  I have several ideas that would have made great plot stories, far better than what Lucas managed!  The dialogue was terrible in parts, just terrible, especially a lot of dialogue given to Christian.  Obi Wan's character was superbly done though imho.  I took a liking to Mace's character too.  Master Yoda is One of my all time faves, but I was disappointed that he was all digital - he lost a bit of feel imho.  I quite liked Jar Jar.  I know a lot of people hated him, but I just had a soft spot for him, and still do.  I still like to annoy people with "meesa don thing sooo!" lol.

I was very lucky with the Phantom Menace - I would have been amongst the first 4-500 people to see the film in Australia.  The movie had an advanced screening at 9pm, with general first session to the public at midnight.  I got into the Australian fan club's 6.30 showing with a bunch of mates  ;-)  The roar was deafening when the opening credits rolled and I went all goose bumpery!!!!!  Was an amazing session spent with other likeminded super fans.

MTFBWY!

Dave

When Phantom Menace came out, the big theatre here downtown was doing 24 hour showings. We didn't get tickets for the midnight showing so we decided on the 5 am screening. That way, we could see the film, grab breakfast downtown and then head to work.  About 18 of us went to it and there was another similar sized group of fans and that was it in the theatre. It was a great time mostly because of the atmosphere. We ended up with a couple extra tickets but they wouldn't issue refunds, just tickets for a later show. So we exchanged them for a 6 pm screening and saw it again after work. 

With the original trilogy, I wish that they had been more consistent with the FX. They should've just cleaned up the original FX shots and left it at that or re-done all of them. I find the jump back a forth a bit jarring. 

Your Jedi mind trick must have only partially worked as this is what it compelled me to pull out of the stash next:

IMG_20151107_221309.jpg

I'm just waiting on a couple bits from Shapeways before I dig in.

From the Dark Lord himself, must be a good thing then :)

Carl

Your Jedi mind trick must have only partially worked as this is what it compelled me to pull out of the stash next:

I'm just waiting on a couple bits from Shapeways before I dig in.

From the Dark Lord himself, must be a good thing then :)

Carl

yee haw!  Can't wait Carl.  Your builds are always stunningly good.  I don't know how you churn them out so good, and so fast!!!

Dave

PS what did you think of the Japanese trailer for the new movie from a few days ago?  And there was another mini trailer overnight too.  I'm liking both of them, more so than any of the previous trailers!