Revell Spitfire Mk.Ia and Mk.IIa Joint build - FINISHED

Shoggz

I've been tinkering on my two Spitfires for the last week or so, but I think I really need to crack on and start laying down some paint.

Here are the duo today:

0F05B5B4-B9A8-4756-B1B9-DE804598E227_zps

This one is destined to be the Mark IIa. As you can see, one has the Barracuda replacement ailerons and one doesn't! I had hoped to kit both out in the more appropriate fabric versions but haven't been able to buy a second set.. All my usual sources are out of stock.. :hmmm:

Here's the one with the kit versions:

FF9AE74B-C242-49A9-9301-F429D989E80C_zps

You can see that I've also finished both sets of AM wheels. I really like Tamiya's XF-85 tyre black - it finishes very 'rubber-like'

Here's the other one with the Barracuda bits.

27A02573-05B6-4DA3-AAB3-2D04E51011D2_zps

Now the big decision.. hairy sticks or rattle cans?

Opinions welcome!

Richard

Edited by Shoggz

I can't remember the last time I used a brush to paint a model, I'm sooooo out of practice it would be awful....I presume you're using enamels? But then rattle cans....hmmmm, the lack of control (compared to an airbrush) would worry me! Glad it's your decision Richard!

Max

Neat progress Richard. Your two are coming on a treat.

Now the big decision.. hairy sticks or rattle cans?

Opinions welcome!

Richard

That's a bit of a dilemma. I think it may depend on what you use. I use brushes for almost all of the cockpit work and regularly paint gear bays and smaller stuff with the brush but for larger areas I've never managed to get a smooth enough coverage with hairy sticks.

I think Erwin brush paints his models and gets them smooth and a guy called PlaStix over on Britmodeller recently painted two 1/48th scale Spitfires with great success with a brush. From what I can gather, the key is patience and lots of thin coats.

On the other hand, if you go the whizz can route, Tamiya produce some lovely paint in a tin. If you can get hold of their AS- range those spray beautifully. They may even offer accurate cammo colours in that range. They are a bit pricey but you gets what you pay for. Even if they come out a bit fast they seem to dry thin and super smooth.

Have a look at Peterpool's Meteor thread in WIP to see what the finish can look like: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=55180?&page=17

Scroll down to post#252.

One advantage of using a spray is that it's possible to achieve soft edges to the cammo. By spraying one colour all over the model and then masking using thin rolls of blu-tack or similar the paint can be sprayed in such a way to leave a nice soft demarcation. Much harder to do with a paint brush.

I hope whatever you choose works out for you. Have fun.

Cheers.

It's great to see two Spitfire models together like that, as for painting I used to be a 100% brush painter mainly because I was useless at using an AB but now after a lot of practice I am a 100% AB user.

I don't think my brush painting skills could match an airbrush finish but I have seen models finished with a brush that do, in the end it all depends on what you are comfortable with, and remember it's a fun hobby, don't worry too much about it.

Cheers

Dennis.

Rattle cans, they work great if you know what you're doing.

I just made the switch to an Airbrush this past summer.

But what if you don't know what you're doing Shawn.....disaster?  I know Peter Pools achieved a beautiful finish on his Meteor with a Tamiya rattle can and I guess if you use several lighter coats, like you do with an airbrush, then you've got a good measure of control but the fact that the spray from a rattle can can't be targeted easily to coat a precise area worries me.

Max

Airbrush all the way for me these days with only minimal paint brush in hand.........rubbish at it now!! 

The Tamiya rattle cans are really good and I do use them for some stuff and with a little more practice would definitely use them if I was spraying a monotone finish on a 32nd scale build.

Regards. ANdy

Well I took the plunge and went for the hand-painted option!

First I laid down a couple of thin coats of Tamiya XF-52 earth, which actually went on very nicely.

F2ADFCE4-C913-4D9B-9604-FAAFCA6DCD2F_zps

I then overlay it with Tamiya 'British Green' XF-81. Initially this didn't go on so well. but after thinning it a bit further with water it eventually worked OK.

67FBF7E2-2397-4936-AACE-ABE1FFA94171_zps

There's still a fair bit of work to do tidying and perfecting before I'll be satisfied, but we're getting somewhere!

Here are the two of them as it stands..

832BA50C-CA8B-477C-830C-9377192FDAF9_zps

Edited by Shoggz

Actually, looking at those photos actually highlights imperfections that you don't see with the 'naked eye'.

I must admit, looking at some of the other builds on here does make me feel somewhat inadequate but as this is the first ever 1/32 plane I've attempted I guess I can just try to improve!

I'm in full agreement with my learned colleague. Your Spits look good on my monitor too Richard.

Hopefully you can stop being too hard on yourself and continue to enjoy the process.

Thankfully, this is not a competition and the only prize is the joy of building with a group of like minded folk for a good cause.

You're doing a fine job mate, keep at it.

Cheers.