91 replies to this topic

#1 DaveJ

DaveJ

• Non-Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

Greetings Gang!

Here's my entry for the Carrier GB. I'm trying for something new with this entry, in that I hope to actually finish it. :rolleyes: Truth is I've had SLUF-on-the-brain for some time now which may have dampened my enthusiasm for other projects I'd been trying to get done. Who knows what sparks builder's slump?

On to the details!

I'll be using the Black Box cockpit, Aires avionics bays and wheel wells, possibly some Eduard interior bits depending on whether they work along with the resin and the Zactoman correction set with seamless intake. Whew! There will actually be some plastic bits from Trumpeter in there, too. :rolleyes:

Box shots!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Wish me luck!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#2 Texas

Texas

• Deceased Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

HI A very exciting project you have there. I really look forward to following along with your build.

And Yes Good Luck

Texas :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#3 Loic

Loic

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:54 PM

Hey Dave,

This sounds like a promissing build!
Good luck :rolleyes:
Cheers,

Loic

Cheers!________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In the work :   Dornier Do 335   /   A-1H/J Skyraider   /   Mirage F1 (Scratchbuild)  /  Mirage IIIC

Completed builds :   Hawker Tempest (kitbash)   /   Nakajima B5N Kate (Scratchbuild)   /   Spitfire Mk I

Master pattern work:   DB-603 Engine    /   F4U-1 Corsair engine bay 

#4 Azgaron

Azgaron

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

Wonderful! Lovely kit with lots of goodies, that's nice! Good luck!

Cheers,

Azgaron

#5 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 39,031 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

Good to see you on board Dave, and it looks like a very nice kit too. I'm not a big jet guy, but there are a handful that interest me, and this is one of them. We'll all gather round the fence line and poke you with sticks until you get it done!

Kev

#6 theseeker

theseeker

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

Dave,
I almost went with the Tamiya Phantom but the Avenger has been calling me for a while. Enjoy the BB cockpit they are gorgeous. FYI, the Eduard color PE sets usuallywork pretty well with them.
Rocky

The best revenge is living well!

On the bench:

1/32 TAM F-4E almost done....
1/12 Lotus 97T Senna

#7 big matt

big matt

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:19 AM

Good luck Dave,
I can't wait to see this thing built.

Matt
We are all your base.

#8 DaveJ

DaveJ

• Non-Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:41 AM

Thanks everyone!

I started to get a game plan together this evening. I've removed most of the interior surface features from the fuselage halves to accept the resin cockpit, and then of course I had to dig that out of the box to admire if nothing else.
Curiosity got the better of me and I also got out the Aires cockpit for the A-7D, since I've got both kits, just to see how different they are from each other. For purposes of the comparison I'm looking at the casting and resin, not the differences between the D and E. Both are extremely well cast. The BB cockpit is in traditional yellow resin whereas the Aires is in a gray resin that really looks more like plastic. Having read some reviews of both I fear that the BB version is a tougher fit requiring a good deal of shaping, sanding, cursing and test fitting. We'll see.

The Black Box cockpit:
Posted Image

And the Aires:
Posted Image

Both side-by-side:
Posted Image

One really big difference is that the side-walls are molded into the tub on the Aires. This is probably helpful when it comes to installation, but sure seems like a nightmare to try to paint! :unsure: Both are chock full of details, and both quite crisply molded, but the Aires probably edges ahead in crispness as well. There are in fact so many details in these cockpits I immediately start to envision the painting process. It should be great fun, just hope I'm up to doing it justice!

#9 theseeker

theseeker

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:12 AM

Dave,
Please excuse my language, but you are SL$T when it comes to this. You should be ashamed of yourself and I will show you up tomorrow!
Rocky

The best revenge is living well!

On the bench:

1/32 TAM F-4E almost done....
1/12 Lotus 97T Senna

#10 DaveJ

DaveJ

• Non-Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:18 AM

Dave,
Please excuse my language, but you are SL$T when it comes to this. You should be ashamed of yourself and I will show you up tomorrow!
Rocky

punk.gif

#11 ruzlkampf

ruzlkampf

• Deceased Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:35 AM

Good to see you on board Dave, and it looks like a very nice kit too. I'm not a big jet guy, but there are a handful that interest me, and this is one of them. We'll all gather round the fence line and poke you with sticks until you get it done!

Kev

Bwhahah! I was going to add, SHARP sticks,....maybe even a 'pelting with pebbles', and a little(okay a LOT! :P ) of heckling too, hmmmm?! Dunno though Kevin, there was a strange light in the East today....methinks it's Dave glowing with an aura of inspiration? With all these goodies to play with, I think Daves's going to go after this one 'hammers & tongs'! :rolleyes:
Gorgeous resin bits Dave. Just sat here and looked at them in awe. Whoooa. :o This is definitely going to be a build to watch. Coool. B) Russ

#12 Daywalker

Daywalker

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:35 AM

WOW! That resin looks awesome. I'll be keeping an eye on this build as well. Good luck!

#13 DaveJ

DaveJ

• Non-Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:02 AM

Gorgeous resin bits Dave. Just sat here and looked at them in awe. Whoooa. B) This is definitely going to be a build to watch. Coool. :rolleyes: Russ

WOW! That resin looks awesome. I'll be keeping an eye on this build as well. Good luck!

If you think the cockpit resin is cool... wait'll ya see the wheel wells!

#14 DaveJ

DaveJ

• Non-Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:28 AM

Last little bit of playing around for tonight. After all, Rocky is already mad at me! B)

I test fitted the Aires avionics bays. Mostly because I had heard there are issues with them being too small and I wanted to see for myself.

Well... They're too small. The port side is sooo close that it's barely worth mentioning. A little bit of fidgeting should get it to look perfect to all but the most magnified eye. The starboard side is gonna take some figuring out. It's completely right in height but is a good bit too short front to back. I'm thinking I might try to separate the one box into two separate boxes and rig a side wall with some sheet plastic to make both boxes line up right in both panels. We'll see.

Here's the look of 'em, just held in place with some blu-tack for the camera.

Port side:
Posted Image

Starboard:
Posted Image

You can pretty clearly see what I mean on that second shot. :rolleyes:

#15 Azgaron

Azgaron

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:31 AM

Very nice looking cockpit sets Dave! I can imagine that picking out all the detail could take some time!

Cheers,

Azgaron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users