1/32 B-58 Hustler

foiler

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!! :mental:

While getting ready for the Warner Robins IPMS meet, I had cleared my stash and looked for something to occupy me for the 3 months until the event. I found that the event would have a category for paper models. The sponsor said he would provide the model for free if anyone wanted to build one for the Warner Robins competition. At the time I thought it would be kinda fun to build something in paper just to see how they were constructed. After going through Chris Gutzmer's Card Model catalogue, I selected a 1/32 scale B-58 Hustler thinking it would be rather straight forward........ WRONG!!!!! Chris sent me 69 pages of parts and 28 pages of instructions!!!!

As an Aviation Metalsmith in the Navy I was always interested in just how to get irregular pieces of sheet metal to match up around compound curves. I have seen some of the impressive work that is done with paper models, and saw a lot of similarities in the process. Although the building process was complex and at times frustrating, I was extremely impressed with the fit of complex pieces. There were very few errors and mismatches. However, I couldn't leave well enough alone. Paper is still paper, and I didn't feel comfortable building something where seams were readily visible. So, I cheated; I "hardened" the smaller paper parts with Super Glue, and the larger panels with Shellac. I was then able to sand the joints to get smooth panel to panel matchups. Since I was sanding away the printed image detail, I went ahead and foiled the whole thing. I then scaned the decals, made new ones, and used the printed part pictures to establish the locations. Enough talk, here is what it looks like today, after 3 months of building. And yes, it is 1/32 scale and about 37 inches long...

(Images restored 9/18/2012)IMG_7184.jpgIMG_7184.jpg

IMG_7181.jpg

IMG_7183.jpg

IMG_7186.jpg

IMG_7187.jpg

I learned my lesson, and will never under estimate the skillsets of paper model builders again. I must apologize for bastardizing the build by deviating from the true paper version, but the plastic modeler in me just had to make the changes. Kudos to those who design and build these paper wonders........

Enjoy!

Ken

Edited by foiler

I learned my lesson, and will never under estimate the skillsets of paper model builders again. I must apologize for bastardizing the build by deviating from the true paper version, but the plastic modeler in me just had to make the changes. Kudos to those who design and build these paper wonders........

Welcome to the "fold" Ken...

Wonderful work! Another Ken (Ken West), designer of that model, frequents this forum:

http://www.papermodelers.com/

I'm sure he would be thrilled no end if you posted those pics over there.

Best,

Mike

Stunned isn't a strong enough word.

If you hadn't said it was paper then you can't tell looking at the first 3 pictures.

Foiling paper! What's next?

Truly amazing work Ken.

Phil :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Excellent Ken ! You did justice to the design by another Ken, Mr West !

This is the one I want to use as a template for a plastic version, and I "started" in the "Trip tu Russville" GB. Unfortunaltely, a thing called L.I.F.E got me stalled very soon (on the first ejection seat to be precise), but I'll resume the build one day, when I have completed other just as stalled (but more advanced) projects.

Your build is just an extra encouragement to me.

In one word: AWESOME ! :bow: :clap2:

Hubert.

Just for reference: I really appreciate the kind words guys. However, this model photographs much better than it looks in real life. It actually looks like the real thing in one sense - it's full of dents and dings!!!

Ken

That is outstanding,

just out of curiosity, where on earth do you display her, its gotta take up

an awful lot of room :clap2:

It will have to sit on TOP of something, not sure just what yet...... I believe I have the equivalent of a boat in the basement......

Ken