Photo

What Kind(s) of Paint Are On Your Work Bench?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

I have very little paint, and mix my own colors.  I have a color recipe book that gets me close, then I can fine tune till I'm happy.  Of course specialty paints must be had.

Three Colors of Alclad

Five colors of Testors Model Master enamels

Four colors of Tamiya Enamels

Twelve tubes of acrylic:  The three base colors plus white, black, Silver and some earthy tones

Eight tubes of oil paint:  Again, the base colors plus a couple ochres

Paint cheap, buy more models!

​We don't have social skills.  We build models.

#32 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

Tamiya acrylics with X20A thinners. With Winsor & Newton oil paints for wood effects.

That's it. No enamels whatsoever.

I model mostly WWI & inter-war stuff & I find the Tamiya range covers all eventualities. 

I've got around 200 pots of Tamiya acrylics. For me, it works and my little brain is better concentrating on just the one brand and getting to know what works, what doesn't and what to mix to get what.

I waste my money on kits & tools, rather than paint.

"First, shalt thou take out the Holy pin. Then, shalt thou count to three - no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shall thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that then thou shalt proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number is reached, then lobbeth thou thy Holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen"

#33 Bruce_Crosby

Bruce_Crosby

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:33 PM

Hi Guys,

I've got everything somewhere, in a box, drawer or a shelf or table. My usual Go To is Gunze, preferably the lacquer but their acrylics are pretty good too. Their thinners are awesome and I've got a couple of their airbrushes, the Ps-290 fan spray and the new arrival is the PS-770 which is just marvellous. I know we all think the Mr names are a bit lame but whatever the product Gunze does, works as described after the Mr.

Then there's a pile of Tamiya, Vallejo, AK, Ammo, MIG, Hataka. Then recently MRP, a newish lacquer based paint, super thin, like Gunze with a 70-80% load of thinner.

But the real revelation is the MMP range. Acrylic. Very fine pigments. It's own thinner, it's own additive and it really does work. Reliable. Dependable. Adaptable. Easy to use. Easy to clean. Fantastic coverage, fantastic finish. And the range of aircraft colours is tantalisingly close. I've sprayed it through H&S Infinity, Krome and Ps-770 at 15-18 psi with the standard recommended mix ratios and got super thin lines from all three airbrushes, then gone on to do decent colour coats with the same mix. It's very versatile. No tip drying, no clogging, nothing. I've also pushed it thru some cheap Chinese clones and they worked with it too. I am just so impressed with this range.

For metallics I use Gunze (naturally!), AK Xtreme Metal and the new Vallejo Metallics which act similar to the MMP products when put thru the airbrush.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users