1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Iain

Hiya Chris - sorry I didn't have more time to chat at Telford - whole weekend was a bit of a whirlwind - didn't get to speak to everyone I wanted to, or see a lot of the things I wanted to see!

Connie was there because she's become a bit of a standing joke over the years - was really nice to have something airframe shaped at last!  :)

Hopefully you had a fun visit and everyone was welcoming - will we get to see you again one year?

Iain

trying to remember one of the US west coast Museums has one. It was at Camarillo  CA for a long time. But it just moved to said museum a few years back.  Chino Planes of Fame, I think may have BATTAN Gen. MacArthur Conny at one time to.

Castle Air Museum in Stockton is adding an EC-121. I think it just arrived from Montana, and they're going to work on restoring it for the museum

Matt  :frantic:

I am headed to Castle AFB to do some warbird photography in April (particularly their B-17) so I'll see about getting pics of their Super Connie -- if you're not already finished by then  :)

I know you've done a ton of research and know of these planes, but as these are my personal shots of C-121 examples I've encountered in my travels so these might be something you haven't seen. Not sure what info on the windows you get, but hopefully they will help.

C-121C Super Constellation; NASM Udvar-Hazy facility 2015 

Constellation-udvar-hazy-2541.jpg

-

Constellation-udvar-hazy-2551.jpg

-

In this one, it looks like the rounded-square window beneath the word "Guard" has a more oval lip where it meets the outer skin.

Constellation-udvar-hazy-2513.jpg

VC-121A Constellation 48-0614; Pima Air&Space Museum 2017

VC-121A-Constellation-Pima-03-23-17-9544

I'm limiting these to pics with the windows because you mentioned that specifically.

I also have some walkaround pics of a civilian Connie from my visit to Pima, but more importantly there is a Super Connie nearby at the Museum of Flight (where I am a member) that I can get underneath to shoot detail shots for when you get to the landing gear.

Don't recall from your thread if you've mentioned what color scheme you will be painting it in, but it certainly is going to be a show-stopper when you finish it (as if it isn't stunning enough as-is!) Great project -- looking forward to each new update.

Thanks for the photos - really good - especially the cowling shot.

You can *never* have enough photographs on a project like this!

Fuselage windows on my EC-121 are the smaller, round type - so different to the passenger versions...

Iain

• 4 weeks later...

That's absolutely brilliant - thanks Bruce!!

About 15" on the large ones - I can scale the smaller ones from there - and cut out some masks later this weekend.

No sign of email though?

Hopefully engines arrived OK and usable - put 6 sets in there so you can mix/match best and fix any voids with cut outs from other castings.

Iain

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ooops - apologies Mark!

Only just spotted reply <waves>

May be a little while yet - but more progress in last 12 months than previous 12 years I recon - so slowly, slowly, catch a Connie...  :)

Iain

• 5 months later...

In case anyone missed it - and as a placeholder for me - Jennings has posted some superb photos of EC-121s - with lots of details I haven't seen before!

Can already see that I need to alter the fin/tailplane fillets - and a host of other details not seen before.

Perhaps I need to dig her out of the garage and make some more progress...  :)

Iain