Esci F-16A cockpit in 1/12 scale

Mark Jackson

• 4 weeks later...

For some odd reason I thought that working in a bigger scale would make things easier, I was wrong.

24987053888_81501bb120_b.jpg

Trying to find good block 10 cockpit photos is difficult.

27082961269_9a448f7691_b.jpg

As the cockpit will be seatless the ventilation for the consoles will need to be added; I know that block 5's had rounded, horizontal vents.  I also know that block 15 aircraft had lots of small holes, but what did block 10's have?

24987053418_e3546760ca_b.jpg

:hmmm:

Trying to find good block 10 cockpit photos is difficult.

27082961269_9a448f7691_b.jpg

As the cockpit will be seatless the ventilation for the consoles will need to be added; I know that block 5's had rounded, horizontal vents.  I also know that block 15 aircraft had lots of small holes, but what did block 10's have?

:hmmm:

Are you talking about the small square box on either end of the bar behind the seat? If so, my pictures indicate the vents were horizontal.

Jens

"Trying to find good block 10 cockpit photos is difficult."

The Early Viper Guide has 42 pages of cockpit photos, 14 of which are dedicated to the Block 1/5/10 F-16A front cockpit.

http://www.reidairpublishing.com/product-p/rap009.htm

All vents on the aft wall are rectangular.  The only difference is between some C-models and the A-models.

"Trying to find good block 10 cockpit photos is difficult."

The Early Viper Guide has 42 pages of cockpit photos, 14 of which are dedicated to the Block 1/5/10 F-16A front cockpit.

http://www.reidairpublishing.com/product-p/rap009.htm

All vents on the aft wall are rectangular.  The only difference is between some C-models and the A-models.

Thanks Jake, I've been using your later book, the DACO book, Verlinden's book and web sourced photos.  I don't mean the two rectangular vent boxes on the trunking behind the seat, rather the inner part of the left and right consoles which you do not see when the seat is in the cockpit.  After much research I found out that the block 5 and 10 versions had these:

38166177084_dbe9253c1e_o.jpg

Then the block 15 switched to holes:

24016771967_43e48526a3_o.jpg

:frantic:

Thanks Jake, I've been using ...... Verlinden's book.....

Ah, I forgot about the Verlinden book.  That, too, is a great resource!

I have one of these in my stash.  You're making me want to dig it out!

Wow this is such a great build thread. I have this kit in my stash ever since it came out. Have only ever seen it built a couple of times and it looked good then.

Your thread is sure a keeper and makes me want to take it out and follow along. I have a couple of the books you mention as reference including the Verlinden one which at the time was great until Jake's guide of course.

Your fixes look pretty straight forward and I should be able to follow your lead. My biggest concern will be when I get to the seat cover. At the time I believe the F-16As had some sort of lamb's wool covering. How to replicate that in scale will be interesting. Maybe some actual fabric?

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Chris