Kawanishi N1K1

Bruce_Crosby

I was NOT advocating for a new tool LOW wing George, but a new tool version of the same Revell mid-wing kit used for the SB Rex conversion.

A new updated resin conversion with the correct corrected parts would get it close enough for most including me.

Edited by Out2gtcha

I don't recall anyone saying they were the same airframe; the fact is that if you want a Rex, the mid-wing George is the easiest starting point.

BINGO. Now THAT was my point.    If you want a Rex, the likelihood of an IM manuf producing one in 32nd is VERY low, but the likelihood of say Has producing a mid-wing land based kit, are much higher IMHO, and if you want a Rex without one fully coming from the factory, a new tool Mid-wing kit  in combo with a conversion for the Rex, is about the only feasible place to start.

Edited by Out2gtcha

ARGH! You guys! The "Rex" is not an early "George" without floats and simply swapping out floats and landing gear will convert one from the other. They are similar, but very much NOT the same and would have very little (if anything?) that would be interchangable between the two.

I think there is quite a bit that is interchangeable from a model building standpoint.

What doesn't interchange is the spinner, the cowling, removing the wing cannon sponsons, the upward curve of the bottom of the tail, and the lack of landing gear.

So, a conversion should include spinner and cowling, landing gear and cut-off cannon filler panels, an upswept lower tail, the main float and the two wing-mounted outrigger floats.

JapRex_01a_zpse4880dd5.jpg

The N1K1 and the N1K2 have far less in common than the N1K1 and the Rex.

JapRex01_zpscbafb913.jpg

edit to add another pic:

nextJPEG_zps340211af.jpg

Mike

Edited by pennausamike

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

A year later and I bit the bullet! I got a Revell N1K1-Ja off eBay, high price, lots of shipping and of course, got screwed for VAT plus a handling charge by the Post Office. So it's cost me a fortune.

I picked it up from the post office an hour ago and was it worth it? Not really in absolute terms, but as a modeller it's a useful starting place. The engine might paint up reasonably well but I've got a few Hasegawa K2 kits laying around so I could scrounge a decent motor from one of them. I've got sanders, Scriber and Rosies so a complete airframe shake down won't be that difficult. Pretty sure some K2 cockpit parts will squeeze in their too!

Maybe rebuild the undercarriage with some brass rod and tube?

Now here's the rub: every time I scratch built an Armour model, either for myself or as a master for other resin companies, the plastic boys copied it and sometimes even copied the mistakes I built in to see who was copying! If you're an Armour modeller the Trumpeter E series German tanks are direct copies of masters I made for Cromwell models, down to all the mistake markers I put in!

So if I get half way thru modifying this kit, will Hasegawa bring out their version? All you lot will be cheering wildly, but I'll be stuck with a pile of old plastic!

Heck, I'm gonna do it anyway.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby