Cyber Hobby Me 110 G-4

Cheetah11

Hello Alain

The Hendon's example is good...this "thing" was shared between the radar radio operator and the gunner...I would be curious to see the effect of an Immelman with this apparatus on the crew...:-)

The example you show is for the previous versions of the 110E/F...note the bottom hood over the Mg mount.

Amities

Fab

hello Fab 

you are French , so I presume you know Jean Claude Mermet ??? . I asked him infos about how could be the seat . his reply , was :" the seat looks like this ,it was a pivoting metal seat deep enough to receive the parachute " ( his words )  he doesn't tell this is THE... seat ....can we ( I) trust him ??? I am not an expert , so I trust .in the past , I 've needed his help , he never cheated on me .. That said , you are surely right about the E/F version......Nick will see what to think about this ...................an other dilemma  

Alain

Edited by alain11

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the interest. During this build I have realized that the internet provides a lot of information, but does not provide all the answers. I foolishly imagined at the start of the build that the Me 110 G-4 was as well documented as the Me 109 and the info would be readily available. I did not imagine the seat would generate so much interest. So the digging for information continues. I can see from reference photos the bucket type seat was fitted to the Me 110 C/D. Thanks for the photos Alain. If the Cyber Hobby E-2/Ttrop seat is correct, the Hendon type seat must have been fitted sometime on the Me 110 E production line and then on the F, G-2 and some G-4's. If the square type seat as depicted in the Aires and Monogram examples were indeed fitted, they were most likely only fitted on late G-4's where 3 crew members were carried as leoasman also theorized.

Alain I intend to fit all the antennas on the build. The photo of the aircraft I will model also shows the rear antenna, just with one dipole. I believe the other one was ripped off during the crash. If only one dipole was fitted, the mast on which it was fitted need not have been as long.

I have started on the dipoles but it still needs a bit of work. Music wire and brass.

IMG_2308.jpg

I also had to do a bit of detective work on the flame dampers. Measuring relative lengths on photo's I came to the conclusion they are close to 7 mm in diameter in 1/32 scale. The Owl website has scale drawings for their 1/48 scale resin flame dampers, so I used this to determine position and length. The rear exhaust stub still needs to be reworked.  

IMG_2301.jpg

Edited by Cheetah11

Hi everyone

I managed a bit of work on the model again. The Mg 151 cannon protruded slightly below the belly and was covered by a semi circular fairing.. If the bombrack fairing was fitted, this fairing is nor present and the bottom of the cannon and ejector shutes can be seen thru the holes. To add some interest, I cut the hole in the fuselage and build a presentation of the cannon. 

The deeper I get into this build, the more I realize why Dragon did not do a G-4. There are so many small detail changes, I would practically mean a new model.

A bit of cutting and pasting. The extra slot in the fairing also added.

IMG_2368.jpg

Hi Dan, I could only find .5 mm rod which did not work. I did the old armor modeling trick of simulating welding with a syringe and Tamiya filler thinned. It does now look like it was welded by someone transferred from a tank factory. At least better than the trenches of the kit.

IMG_2370.jpg

The Fug 218 antenna . A better result than the tanks.IMG_2373.jpg

Enjoy. Comments welcome.

Nick

Hi Shawn,

The protrusion is a fairing to cover the mounting points of the MG 151. The G-4 had three common configs for the belly. Clean, bomb rack and 20mm gun pod. In all cases the empty shells were ejected overboard. This photo of the 1/48 Revell kit should hopefully explain it better.

IMG_2376.jpg

Nick

Hi Everyone, 

I had a couple of days off, most of the time was taken by the Honey-do list, but still had time to do one or two more things for the build. Like Dann said in his build, there are so many variations in the Me 110 G and at times the references contradict. The Mg 81Z twin machine guns were used in many German aircraft but each manufacturer seem to use a different mounting system. I used the guns from the 1/32 Hasegawa Stuka. I will replace the guns for that kit with Aires items in the future. The Junkers detail around the guns are different, so the mounts had to be scratched. In the end I again used the Revell 1/48 kit and the photos in the SS for reference. There is also a drawing in the SS showing a different mount, perhaps an earlier design.

IMG_2374.jpg

I eventually decided on this seat design. Very therapeutic or something to drive one crazy, depending on your nature.

IMG_2372.jpg

Only the rudders and radar to do then all manufacturing is done. Then just a bit of detailing to do before closing up the fuselage.

Enjoy

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

Looks good so far. For the welds, have you considered Archer's decals? They are resin on decal film and available in various widths. He also makes rivets by the same method. Alternatively, painting lines of Gunze liquid putty has worked for me, given that it is simulating what was molten metal.