Revell P-51D - the slow build begins!

Dave Williams

Started on the new Revell kit over a month ago, but held off on doing much cockpit work after finding out Eduard released some PE sets. Got the zoom cockpit set and finished installing it yesterday. If I had to do it again, I might just use the main part of the IP, as it was a bit of a pain overall. To their credit, Eduard has tried to make things more 3-D by building things up in layers and having some switches and levers as separate parts, but it's a pain folding and placing the very small parts.

Next step is to glosscoat, add some more stencil decals, and do some weathering.

EzVuhfq.jpg

6dSc0Se.jpg

Dave:

I feel your pain with the Eduard PE IP.  But man, the results are stunning and you did great work with it.  I don't know that I've seen a better looking Mustang IP.  I seem to find a way to launch one or more of the switches or handles pretty much every time...

On my 1/32 P-39 with the Eduard IP, after it was all together I put a drop of Future on each instrument for 'glass'  But Future is too thin as it conforms to the PE details, so while it looks nice and shiny over the gauges, its not smooth like glass.  But any thicker clear gloss you would use over the instruments would take this up even one more notch if you choose to. 

Are you using the Barracuda stencils and are you going to wire the battery behind the pilot?  Your cockpit is showing just how much excellent detail Revell was able to get into their kit.  You are a master at cockpit stencils!

I have the Revell kit on order, hopefully I'll get it.  What livery are you building yours in?

Chris

Lookin great!

Picked up the Eduard zoom set myself - looks good and seems to have the early Mustang inst panel correct (im not a Mustang expert by any means though) - very hard not to start the build but I have got to at least get one kit in progress done here before I will allow myself lol

Eduard seems to be getting better with their color sets - some I have are very poorly done with the color looking like dots or being way off what it should be, but the set I am currently using for the Trumpeter Hellcat is top notch and the p-51 set looks as good if not better...

Thanks, all. I intend to use a few of the Barracuda stencils, but not as many are necessary since some are already covered on the prepained Eduard parts. The bottom PE IP part with the dial faces does already have a gloss surface as compared to the semi-gloss of the rest of the IP overlay, which actually looks very nice a it's not real obvious in the picture. I'm on the fence about flat coating the IP as then I'll have to go back in and regloss all of the dials. We'll see. I'm kind of annoyed that the lower middle PE panel is a dark gray and doesn't match the black of the main IP.

I don't plan to wiring up the battery, but I do plan to use the Eduard Steel seatbelts. The floor isn't the RB decals. It's painted using the chipping technique I trailed out here. http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=72296

Agree floor panels look very nice. Good wood grain and good wear. The IP looks great. A lot of people complain about grainy texture or color on the eduard pe, but I think that's one of those things that comes up mostly under magnification. Yours is spot in. Keep it up!

Guest Peterpools

dave

Super work on the front office and glad to see the Mustang is under way again.

Only wish the kit were available here in the states.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Looking good, it's nice to watch someone build one of these kits so I can pick up tips, so far it's looking great, just seen that YAHU are going to release an IP for this kit so I will be waiting for that before I start building mine.

Cheers

Dennis

Looking good, it's nice to watch someone build one of these kits so I can pick up tips, so far it's looking great, just seen that YAHU are going to release an IP for this kit so I will be waiting for that before I start building mine.

Cheers

Dennis

I managed to modify the current Yahu P-51 instrument panel to fit this Revell version!

It looks good, even though I say so myself.. :whistle: