Birdcage Corsair the Easy Way!

LSP_Kevin

I hadn't intended starting this kit for some time, as I've yet to technically start my Trumpeter "challenge build" conversion - which I still fully intend to tackle, and hope to start shortly. But after doing my review, I was so impressed with the Tamiya kit that I couldn't resist the idea of building both kits in tandem. I figure I can leverage what's in the Tamiya box as reference for the Trumpeter kit, and it'll be interesting to see them side-by-side. I tried this once with Tamiya and Revell Zero kits, and it didn't really work out, as the Tamiya kit streaked ahead. I'm hoping I can keep these two a little more in sync, and will probably focus more on the Trumpeter build than this one.

Anyway, here's an obligatory box-and-contents photo to kick things off:

KJdjEb.jpg

Oh, I briefly toyed with the idea of interleaving this build in the with the existing thread for the Trumpeter build, but decided against it in the end, mainly because I figure I owe due respect to my anonymous benefactor not to dilute the focus of the "challenge build". I'll try to post comparison photos in that thread where they seem relevant or interesting though.

OK, so no actual modelling as usual, but once I've cleared the Aerotech Speed Spitfire off the bench, I should be able to crack on with both Corsair builds.

Kev

• 1 year later...

I've built both Kev.  The Tamiya is the FAA build and the USN one is the Trump

The Trump in overall dimensions is pretty much the same as Tamiya's. Where it really falls down is the details.  I had to replace the engine, cowl, landing gear, wheels, prop, cockpit, scratch build the gills in the wing intakes, the shutter door in the lower fuse behind the engine and the exhaust You can see all that in the build link above.

The Tamiya kit is much much much much much more fun to build. It will be interesting to see if it doesn't leap ahead!  Did I mention the Tamiya is much much much much more fun to build?

Here are some exterior comparison shots

P1010107_zps388be4a7.jpg

P1010109_zps196bce68.jpg

P1010108_zps86ee0afb.jpg

P1010106_zps79ffb441.jpg

P1010104_zpsb197ff1a.jpg

P1010105_zpsa8d30f5b.jpg

Thanks Ron. I realise how redundant the Trumpeter build will be, but as a challenge build, I'm still looking forward to it (but not enough to have started it yet after 18 months apparently...). I've got 6 kits on my workbench at the moment (not including the 2 LSP Corsairs), and I need to finish at least half of them before cracking on with either of the Corsair builds. I'd love to be retired and just build models all day!

Kev

Yeah, I know what you mean. Still, we've got nothing to complain about compared to our Canadian friends!

Kev

Hmm isn't summer upthere? If not we are in trouble :help:  

Edited by Bozzaroo