Revellogram P-51 Phantom Mustang

BloorwestSiR

Thanks guys, it's been a fun build so far. The interesting bit has been comparing some of the parts to more recent offerings (Dragon, Trumpeter, and Tamiya) and seeing the differences in terms of detail.

Here's a couple pics of the fuselage with the rads and fuselage tank in place:

1a9b4e05.jpg

The hole in the rad is for a rod to pass through.

6ab56f2d.jpg

Why do I feel like I should be looking for a 1/32 Lynda Carter figure with bracelets and a tiara? :rolleyes:

e3c41d69.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the compliments Maru.

The build sort of stalled for a unusual reason. The wiring to make the kit's prop and gear move keeps breaking. I think it's too brittle but I can find anything that thin to replace it. I may use some very thin gauge speaker wire.

Otherwise, I have the pilot painted now and most of the cockpit together now so once I get the wiring back on track, the rest of the build so go a little easier.

Carl

Very cool! I have one of these as well. Been sitting around since Sept. 1995. I would like to do a half-n-half. Half see through, half painted up. Looks like a fun kit to build. Look forward to doing it. Be watching this close!

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news folks.

The wiring for all the motorized bits keeps breaking. It seems to be really brittle. My attempt to solder some of the leads back on well, ended badly with the underlying plastic tabs melted. Most of the damage is contained to the base so I may just push ahead and leave the electrical repairs for later on.

As for the build itself, I've goofed up a bit and have run into a bit of a bind. I mounted the wing gun bays to the main spar thinking that this would create a better joint between the parts. Which it did. It also blocked off the bomb racks so those may be in-operational as well :oops:

I am going to see if they can be finangled into place without breaking anything. If not, I have a feeling they will be out of service. I'll try to get some pics up later of my progress (?).

Carl

• 2 years later...

Hi Carl,

I know this topic was from a long time ago but yours is the only one the search feature finds on the Phantom Mustang.

I'm curious what kind of glue you used that dried so clear on the fuselage parts without making them hazy from glue? I have one of these and I'm considering building it but I'd like it to look decent too.

Cheers,

Brady

Ive got the latest re-release of this kit that I just picked up from the LHS, and have done quite a bit of extensive research on it since the first time I built this as a kid 30 years ago. Usually the best glue to use is a "hot" glue, AKA chemically reactive glue, like Tanex, Tamiyas extra thin, Pastruct's, "Bondene" or Ambroid's "Pro-weld".  All of these glues should provide a solid bond to the usually more brittle clear plastic without any fume issues like CAs would cause.

The only word of caution I might make is the joint on the trailing edges. Applying glue to the trailing edges of both the flaps and ailerons will be problematic, as the mating surfaces there are much wider, and the glue tends to fill up that section and with a clear exterior surface, this can turn out a bit crappy looking.

Edited by Out2gtcha