Roden 1/32 Albatross D.III questions

Gazzas

I've already found the Karl Bolle scheme pictured earlier in the thread, saving me from having to cut a hole in the wing, thankfully. I appreciate the info on the radiator. It'd I graduate to WNW, I'll be sure to consider it.

I'm quite nervous about getting that little slip of acetate right. It's little details like that that can make or break a model's appearance. And since I've already doubled the cost of the model with AM, I would really hate to ruin it.

Gaz

Guest Clunkmeister

Gas, It's a great kit. Just take your time and fit everything carefully, especially the interior fuselage stuff. Make sure the fuselage closes well with each bulkhead you add and you're good to go.

Another important point to mention: do not try to glue the part as such on the fuselage. This will be messy!!!

Build first a base out of plastic strip. Glue the strip on the fuselage and then the windshield on that base. This will be far easier!

This it's a great idea! I can build the base as a 2d curved structure, clamping the acetate windscreen to it, add cement to the join and let it flow in via capillary action.

I also used another approach in the past: a strip of aluminium sheet. This give you the benefit that the correct color will be seen through the clear part  and if it is thin enough you can even laminate the layers: alu -> clear -> alu. However, is that case, you need to assemble the components before glueing to the fuselage.

Do not hesitate testing!

Hth

Thierry

Worst case scenario on the accetate windscreen is that you can make a replacement out of clear stock and use that. There are no complex shapes in play so it won't be too bad. When I have to do this I use clear file tabs from hanging folders. It's thin and fairly scale looking. 

But aside from that and aside from all the advice and the like in this thread Ernie is right, the Roden DIII is a fairly nice kit that produces a super looking WW1 fighter at the completion of everything. 

Ultimately my advice is, just start building and problem solving where needed and your skills will rise to the occasion.

Zach 

Guest Clunkmeister

Agreed Zach.  If you like a subject enough, you'll build it. Period. 

Some guys build massive Brit bombers out of vac kits and turn out a better model than I could ever dream of achieving with the nicest of shake the box kits.

Others like me, completely bork an Acadamy snap-tite kit.

It is what it is and we do what we like with what we got.

I have the Rodent D.lll on my bench, still in the torn box, but still there looking at me. It'll be soon enough and it'll be nice enough when done.

Though, if you told me the best Alby D.III kit in the world was available in Vacform, I still wouldn't  buy it. 

On a slightly related Roden 1/32 tangent, I have to wonder about my LHS pricing of these kits.  My LHS had a few Roden kits on sale.  All in 1/32.  Here are the kits and prices, and they seem to be set up by popularity.   You will see why it pi55ed me off.

A few British 1/32 single seaters:            49.99$ AU each.

Fokker D.VI 1/32:                                    69.99$ AU  (Really curious about this bird!  Don't know much about it)

Albatros D. II 1/32:                                  79.99$AU

Albatros D.III 1/32:                                   99.99$AU (I got over half off due to the voucher I was given)

Fokker Dr.1 1/32:                                     99.99$AU

For the US shopper, the Aussie Dollar was worth 76 US Cents yesterday.

Just seems a bit unfair to me!  I'll find em' cheaper online, most likely.  But sometimes once you add postage plus exchange rate it equals out, anyway.

Gaz

This picture clearly shows what I mentioned regarding the use of aluminium strip, at least for the basis.

With regard to the price variation, this is the same in Europe!

I saw Roden kit sold for more or less 30 euros whereas the highest prices from some other resellers are close to the double... in spite of the fact they are selling far more kits! So, whereever you live (except in Eastern Europa) you really have to check closely the prices of such kits. I believe that some distributors/importers are playing a nasty game in that arena...

I'm sure it's just a mirror from a car or truck.  I've no evidence of course.  Curious, I went about looking for mirrors on Albatros fighters.  I found one faired into the trailing edge of the upper wing, and another faired into the right side of the cockpit combing.  It would be nice if there were a place where collections of such subjects were held.

Gaz