MY SCRATCH BUILT 1:20 SCALE B17G...phase 2

fozzy

Hi there

Time for a small update!..........I have been fiddling around with the basic structure of the bottom half of the bomb bay....well you have to do something in the afternoons eh?default_rolleyes.gif

First off I cut to shape balsa pieces which will give the wing root position.......

nt%20003_zpsfdqvwvb5.jpg

These next photos show them glued in position..................

mvc%20005_zps4o0emnih.jpg

mvc%20007_zpsq5gh4eav.jpg

So now what I need to do is put a few more stringers in place before cutting out the aperture for the bomb bay doors......this is shown in the next pic...(the blue lines are where I need to place the stringers and the red crosses are where I need to cut out)................

mvc%20003_zpsps1hsszr.jpg

Yes I know....before you say it....looks a right mess!default_ohmy.png...but a few posts down the line it will start looking more like what it is supposed to be!!default_unsure.png...we hope!

...any how that's all for now

Cheers

Fozzy

Hello again

Another small update for you.............

Basically I have been doing a general tidy up of the bottom structure....I have taken out the section for the bomb bay doors and sanded down all the internal areas.....I hope you can see the progress I have made...this stage of the build is long and tedious with not much to show for it!default_sad.png

mvc%20006_zpsdvgb0x9t.jpg

mvc%20009_zpsk8z5jf2g.jpg

mvc%20007_zpsmpwf75rb.jpg

Okay then....Before going any further I am going to move on to the structure for the top half of the bomb bay ....when that is done ....then... for me the good stuff startsdefault_smile.png

See you in a bit!

Fozzy

Guest Peterpools

Martin

Great to see you back at the Big Fortress and taking the fuselage in stages.

Some amazing work and I'll be following all the way

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

Hi chaps

I have spent the last few days bashing on with the upper construction of bomb bay....here is a photo of the two halves together.................

mvc%20015_zpsrlzga2tf.jpg

I still have to build the area that sits on top of the fuselage that houses the lift raft.....that will be my next task default_smile.png

....because the photos are probably boring you!default_rolleyes.gif ...here are some more interesting shots!.........

xz%20002_zpsnxyvqcfi.jpg

xz%20008_zpsxgq1qs5y.jpg

xz%20007_zpscuoddcre.jpg

xz%20010_zpsmxpzfooi.jpg

Looking ahead....when I have finished the very top construction I will be able to start using different materials...put the balsa wood away and get out the yogurt pots!!default_wink.png

Till then...............

Cheers

Fozzy

Hi

Hooray!....I have completed all the balsa wood work and have finished the structure of the bomb bay section!....I'm sure we are all sick of seeing balsa wood pics!default_wink.png...well I know I am!

So here they are the last ones!....................

xz%20008_zpsqhgvaecv.jpg

n%20007_zpsjlridyad.jpg

n%20009_zpsqhsiqw99.jpg

So there are 3 photos...the first is of all sections together .....top sections white glue is setting....hence the clamps

The second photo is of the top section...now set...( this is part of the fuselage that houses the A-3 life raft)

...and the last one is of all the 3 sections complete!

So all my balsa wood supply now goes away and I get out the............................

n%20002_zps9wxcmzio.jpg

That's right folks!......the old yogurt pots default_tongue.png!....basically I took the lids off and cut the bottoms off and cut them open ready for use........its the cheapest way of using plastic card ( well sort of plastic card)....I normally now sand off the print because it can have an effect on the gluing procedure (btw...I use PVA glue )..and all the print kind of looks stupid all over the fuselage!!default_rolleyes.gif

So now I am going to skin parts of the fuselage sides...this eventually will have the aluminum tape over the top of the plastic as I did on the front section of this model.

So until then....bye for nowdefault_smile.png

Cheers

Fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon chaps!

Well a week has passed and I have spent most of the time covering the bomb bay structure with yogurt pot plastic!

Now the trick in using this type of plastic is that first you need to take the shine off the plastic and rough it up a bit and by doing this you'll have no problems in gluing it with standard liquid cement....( I said in my last post that I use PVA glue...take no notice...Senior moment!default_blush.png....I use normal kit liquid cement)....basically all I did was use a bit of sand paper and took off all the print......2 minute job!......The reason why I don't use plastic card you can buy is that A.. I can't get hold of any here in Bulgaria and B..it costs the price of a pot of yogurt!

Once the plastic is ready it was just a case of gluing it over the balsa wood structure....the liquid cement bonds the plastic to the wood with no problems at all!....Once you have done this it toughens the whole structure and gives you a blank canvas onto which the detailing can start default_smile.png

So it all looks a bit rough at the moment...in fact it looks like a Nissan Hut!default_wink.png.....but this is to be expected at this stage of the build.....lack of colour makes it all look terrible and of course remember that when all the internal detail is complete then the Alu tape covers the whole thing and then it will look like it is supposed to look like!!...I hope!default_unsure.png

So here are photos of the yogurt pot covering..................

tr%20008_zpsponwpxby.jpg

tr%20007_zpsk7viekov.jpg

sw%20001_zpsmmllgf9j.jpg

sw%20005_zpspitnwo1k.jpg

mbv%20006_zpsqnsrmt5o.jpg

Now...for display purposes I have left the aft bulk head of the bomb bay open  with just a few pieces of structure in the shape of a T...as you can see.....If you remember and you have seen the front end of this B17G model , the rear part was also left open...this of course allows the viewer to see right inside the model at all the detail.

So talking of detail....today I started detailing the bottom half of the structure...bottom front half to be precise!

here are some pics..............

mbv%20005_zpsvkkh4wdc.jpg

mbv%20006_zpsqnsrmt5o.jpg

Well that's it for today...more to come ...when its done!

Cheers

Fozzy