The Air War Over Vietnam Group Build Discussion Thread

LSP_Paul

The Air War Over Vietnam Group Build will run from May 1st 2014 - December 31st 2014

A simple tribute to the aircraft and men and women who flew, maintained and serviced the aircraft involved from ALL combatants is LONG overdue in my humble opinion. This group build would of course encompass anything that flew from December 1945 to the Fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975.

The Rules:  All kits must be 1/35 or larger, can be any medium for the kits, vac, scratch built, Paper Model etc. and can be ANY flying vehicle used during the conflict,  including SAMs, and MUST represent an aircraft used DURING the conflict IN South East Asia... or that flew into the theater from someplace else but was flying direct combat or support missions for its respective country.

We would appreciate all modelers take a picture of the project in its original in box form with any extras on the first day you enter the build. This is being done on the honor system, so please be honorable and don't post old projects you did last year etc.  :)  

Also, if you would write at least a parts list for any aftermarket or modifications you plan to do and post regular updates with pictures during the build process that would be in keeping with LSP Group Build tradition

I know there are  probably many members with strong feelings associated with this conflict, and the goal here is NOT to delve into the politics, NOT to use disparaging remarks or slurs, We don't tolerate that on LSP anyway, but I thought it should be mentioned in advance. 

Please post on this thread to share kit info, request parts swaps, ask for and post reference information or materials etc.

Thanks,

Paul 

Edited by av8shunmodels

Great suggestion  as there are folks who were directly involved or have friends, or relatives that were. 

My father flew KC-135's from Thailand on a couple of tours and my oldest brother was a 497th Night Owl

F-4D back-seater  68-69

Lots of possibilities

Got my VOTE

Jack

Edited by marauderdriver

Thanks Jack! As you said, there are LOTS of possibilities for ALL the countries involved in 1/32 and larger.

I just feel a fitting tribute to these folks would be a good thing, and we shouldn't wait until people are in their extreme golden years to wait to acknowledge their efforts and accomplishments.

Paul

Thanks Mike! I have never built a model of a Mig before..just not into them, but I think if this gains enough support I may try one, just to do something different.. I was also thinking a TALOS US Navy SAM would make an interesting little model too! So many ideas!

Paul

Cool Zero! I think we would see a few nice A-6's INCLUDING yours :) seems to be a popular kit! AND more aftermarket may be available by the start of the build too if you're into that. 

Paul 

Edited by av8shunmodels

Jack I don't think there would be a limit to the number of kits built. When Russ was with us he out built the entire group once!  :)  With the new T-6 out, it would be cool to see some COIN versions built up..and I know SOMEBODY mentioned doing a VAC A-26K...Thats a perfect fit for this idea I think..

Paul

I'm in with a Scooter, either an A-4C or an A-4E.

Ahhh Frank.. I can only imagine what you could do to a Scooter in 32 after seeing your 1/48th one... Man that's gonna be sweet.. :punk:

Now we just have to get some approval from the Staff! 

Paul 

I would LOVE to see Somebody do one of the CIA / Air America B-17s that were used really early on.. yeah a Nondescript  B-17..Google it or check your refs.. they really used them...

Paul