Wingscale Announcement

Guest WINGSCALE (Martin)

Yes, very difficult and sad situation. For as much as I was really looking forward to the B-25, I will have a hard time giving them my money now after they have treated you like this.

I will DEFINITELY however, be giving YOU my money if WingScale produces an A-26, A-20 ,P-61,Beaufighter, Mosquito and B-26.

Cheers, and please keep your passion along with WingScale alive and kicking.

Brian

John,

I am not so much making an assumption as much as I am speculating. The reason being that Martin mentions that the company doing the injection molding in China has decided to go with another Chinese partner instead of Wingscale. Martin also mentions that the kits will be released by their "new Chinese brand", instead of Wingscale. So we know the new company is Chinese and we know it will be handling the further development, sales and distribution in Wingscale's place. I was wondering if it was Trumpeter or Hobby Boss-- both of which are large enough to handle the marketing and distribution of these rather complex projects. I am not and was not under the impression that Trumpeter or Hobby Boss was doing the molds, nor do I have "proof" that they are the new company that will be taking Wingscale's place. Maybe, there is another Chinese company, unknown to me, that is capable of undertaking this project. Still, I probably should not have named names.

Based simply upon what Martin posted, I still think the new arrangement is sad at best. Here Martin and Wingscale initiated the project, invested their time, effort and money in it, only to find themselves squeezed out in the end. That is how I see it until I learn of new facts that might persuade me differently.

Bill M.

BILL

Please do not make assumptions about the identity of the company in China being those you have named unless you have proof that it was, there are a lot of companies out there who do injection moulding and they are spread all over the place.

Martin I am saddened by this news I hope that you find the strength in you to continue with other projects and that they come to fruition in the fullness of time.

Best regards

John

John,

I am not so much making an assumption as much as I am speculating. The reason being that Martin mentions that the company doing the injection molding in China has decided to go with another Chinese partner instead of Wingscale. Martin also mentions that the kits will be released by their "new Chinese brand", instead of Wingscale. So we know the new company is Chinese and we know it will be handling the further development, sales and distribution in Wingscale's place. I was wondering if it was Trumpeter or Hobby Boss-- both of which are large enough to handle the marketing and distribution of these rather complex projects. I am not and was not under the impression that Trumpeter or Hobby Boss was doing the molds, nor do I have "proof" that they are the new company that will be taking Wingscale's place. Maybe, there is another Chinese company, unknown to me, that is capable of undertaking this project. Still, I probably should not have named names.

Based simply upon what Martin posted, I still think the new arrangement is sad at best. Here Martin and Wingscale initiated the project, invested their time, effort and money in it, only to find themselves squeezed out in the end. That is how I see it until I learn of new facts that might persuade me differently.

Bill M.

Hi Bill

I am glad that you took it in the way it was meant. I know of at least three other Plastic injection moulding companies in China other than the two named. one is doing the work for WNW the other has its own brand name and the third does work, or did work, for Airfix. There are probably others who would no doubt be quick enough to steal the work of others. In the end we are going to be the buying public and the success or failure of the un known companies product will depend upon us. I suspect that Martin will be mighty upset at this time and I hope that he pushes ahead with other projects which I am sure will be worthy of the name WingScale.

John

I have to echo the sentiments of others. If a binding contractual agreement does not exist (and it sounds like perhaps it does not), the tool makers can do whatever they wish, despite promises and assumptions of trust and good faith obligations and commitments. All I can add is that when these three kits you specifically mentioned are released, in protest I will buy none of them.

We have a company in my area called Martin guitars. They have been hand making(yes hand making) guitars in Nazereth since 1855. They make a top end quality product and treat their very skilled employees well. They have a wait list for the product.

There is a company in China making cheap knock offs of this guitar using the Martin name and logo and using the exact plans for these wonderful instruments(but with crappy materials,workmanship,etc)and they get away with it because the Chinese have a whole different set of laws concerning patents. The owner knows that there is not a darn thing that he can do about it.

I bring this up because in Wingscales case as with the Martin guitars we can do something very sinple,don't buy the stuff! Everyone knows examples of this kind of stuff going on and yet we still buy the stuff!

This is not a political rant this is me telling you guys that it has now been the turn of one of"us" to get screwed so......???

J

Hi Martin,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. :closedeyes:

This is a kick in the teeth for all of us in the hobby too, I do hope that you haven't taken an enormous financial hit on this programme.

I'm quite sure that we'll back you all the way on any new projects that you choose to undertake in the future, if you still have the confidence to carry on that is.

Sadly, business is nobody's friend and it can be quite disheartening when something like this happens. Like the other's have said, once you've taken stock of events and had time to evaluate the possibilities later on you can come back and hopefully tell us some good news!

Keep your chin up, and I hope things do eventually work out for all of you involved in Wingscale.

Roy. :mellow:

So sorry to hear that you got steamrollered by the unfettered capitalism of China. Unfortunately, this sort of thing is not unusual over there. Several years ago, a friend of mine had something similar happen to him. Afterwards, his advice was anyone contemplating doing business in China should be prepared for a lot of grief and downright duplicitous behavior.

I'm almost tempted to cancel my pre-orders for my two B-25s, but on second thought, I suppose I'd be hurting no one but myself.

Thanks for all your dedicated work, Martin. Without you, this project would still be a dream.

I intended to get a B-25, free courtesy of guessing Wingscale's first release - Martin ran a competition here on LSP and was true to his word, top man! :bow: - a couple of Meteors, and a B-17 if they do an F, and I'm still going to get them, but will raise a glass of Heineken to Martin for them.

djeez, what happened, ......i met Martin the other day, in Antwerp, saw the B25, saw the box contence, touched its sprues, saw the quality, all "was" well.....he got screwed alright, sorry this ever happened Martin, hang in there...."wie het laatst lacht lacht het best"....

J.

Sad news indeed..certain all of us have sympathy for Martin and the vice he found himself in.

One other thing that is certain,when they do become available they won't be cheap.So it

isn't just Martin getting squeezed here. Feel like saying a lot more but we have to

use decorum...really ticked,and feel for Martin.

Very unfortunate.

Before I cancel my pre-order, I would like to make sure that Martin will not be receiving any proceeds from the sale of the B-25. It would be a shame if the sale of the kit would, in some small way, help him to recoup some of his expenses. Does anyone know if this is the case?

If Martin is to receive none of the proceeds I will definitely be canceling my order. This is not the way to treat people.

Matt

Wow, very sad news indeed.

I think the guys already said it all so I just add that it really sucks!!

This is definatly a wild word out there...

Do not give up Martin, you and wingscale are doing great!

Martin, I can't tell you how disgusted I am to receive the news about how your Chinese "partners" have treated you. I have followed the news of the progress of the release of the B-25 kits with great interest and had one pre-ordered. I say "had" because after reading about what has happened to you earlier today I promptly cancelled that pre-order. While I was waiting for the B-25s and could hardly contain my enthusiasm about the prospect of a 1:32 B-17, I now feel compelled to boycott these releases when they do come out. You have been an exemplar of how it should be done. From all I have read you have listened to the input of those who have seen and built the pre-release samples and when issues have been brought to your attention you have done your best to address them, even at the cost of delaying the release date. To me that exemplifies the highest standard of customer service and customer care that a model production company can provide.

At the risk of painting with too broad a brush, and perhaps I will receive some criticism for this, this seems to be emblematic of the business practices of many, not all, Chinese companies doing business with/in the west. They seem to be well aware that their unethical and even illegal business practices will be unpunished due to the attitudes of the Chinese government and the intricacies of the Chinese legal system. One need only look to what appears to be the rampant ripoffs of western patented or trade marked goods and intellectual properties to see all of the evidence of this necessary to confirm my premise.

The culprit will doubtless become clear when the products are ultimately released and I can only hope that as many western modellers as possible can be made aware of this action and respond appropriately - boycott the product! I certainly intend to do so in spite of the fact that I was nearly drooling over the prospect of your B-17.

My support and best wishes to you sir. I hope that you will keep us advised of any future developments in this shabby affair.

Bob