Eduard 1/48 Bf 109G-14

mattlow

Hi all

A finish! For me this is a rare event.. so I thought I'd post it up.

An Eduard Weekend Edition with Barracuda Decals (which behaved impeccably). Eduard haven't released a G-14 yet, but everything that's needed is in the box (G-6 ERLA boxing). Gunze paints and I lightened the RLM 74 and 75 with 10% white for scale effect.

It is barely weathered (which is a look I quite like) however I may (after trying on a hulk) try a bit more weathering.

38264220982_72a980bc18_o.jpgimage017 by Matt Low, on Flickr

24425023788_3fcc33fa58_o.jpgimage016 by Matt Low, on Flickr

38295951971_b2b43a0f1c_o.jpgimage032 by Matt Low, on Flickr

24425035538_67c129ef80_o.jpgimage027 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Lovely kit to build, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome (though I've notice a couple of things that need sorting.

Matt

Looks excellent, Matt!

Kev

Thanks Kev. It is a very weird feeling seeing something of mine actually finished, and encouraging to get some nice feedback.

That's really nice Matt!  More pics please! :)

Jennings, your wish is my command...

24425025638_06fbb0ec4c_o.jpgimage020 by Matt Low, on Flickr

38295955411_ef723cea47_o.jpgimage035 by Matt Low, on Flickr

24425038218_36f8bca4bd_o.jpgimage028 by Matt Low, on Flickr

I shall try to get some better ones in daylight....

Nice work, Matt!

Thanks Mike. 

Wow! I quite like this.

Thanks. Lovely kit, I highly recommend it. Weekend boxing is (at least in UK) around £14-£17. Picked up a couple of Profis at Telford for £17 yesterday... excellent value.

Matt,

Just fantastic!

I'm curious:  Those two little shapes in front of the windscreen have been a problem for me on every 109 because usually a seam runs between them and they're so small it's hard to rescribe without it turning ugly.  Are those decals in that position?

Thanks,

Gaz

Nice build, I spotted an early announcement for those that want one, that Eduard is releasing a G-14 either in December of January. Looks like it will be a profi pack kit with several nice decal options.

Matt,

Just fantastic!

I'm curious:  Those two little shapes in front of the windscreen have been a problem for me on every 109 because usually a seam runs between them and they're so small it's hard to rescribe without it turning ugly.  Are those decals in that position?

Thanks,

Gaz

Hi Gaz

Yeah, those two handholds are a sod! This time around I used the supplied decals in this area. I do have an Eduard scribing template for the 109 which includes these (and the pesky hatch just in front of the FuG25 IFF aerial - which is poor in the Eduard kit - Profi has a PE plate to put there). Now I've built one, I know the problem areas. This upper deck needs a bit more attention - just to minimise the amount of clean up necessary.

Seeing these Eduard 109 kits and with the new Tamiya G-6 on the way I'm almost tempted to make a foray into 1/48.

Go on Mike, you know you want to.. :) Have to say that I'm not totally convinced by the Tamiya. Some of the surface detail is a bit weird. For example many of the hatches seem to have very deeply recessed areas on the hinges (Oxygen, compressed) looks very weird in close up - may not be visible in normal viewing...?

Lovely work!

Thanks martin..

Nice build, I spotted an early announcement for those that want one, that Eduard is releasing a G-14 either in December of January. Looks like it will be a profi pack kit with several nice decal options.

G-14 will be nice to have... though for me the real interesting ones will be the AS and D powered versions... especially if they do good G-5/6/14 AS with proper cowl varaitions (maybe too obscure?) and of course a good G-10/K-4 Erla... Endless possibilities if they play their cards right... would a G-12 be out of the question I wonder?

I shall move onto number 2 soon (already started, but a 1/32 subject needs progressing a bit more before I dedicate too much time to it)

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys.

Mike, I am really pleased with my ERLA camo. So much so that I think the 90% completed 1/32 Revell G-6/14 I have looks like it needs a total re-paint.. it is a shameful effort compared to this 1/48 rendition... At least I get straight on to painting...

Matt