British Phantom FG1 1/32 build

spindrift007

Here are some images relating to the my post above ( resin “plug in”)

As you can see the resin part will need a good clean up. I also need to shorted by about 2 -3 mm. The pitting will be the major problem. I have seen that some guys use mr surfacer 1000 to smooth out these sort of things. If anyone knows about this method I would be very interested. The conversion part is just sitting on the kit part at the moment and looks to wide and high in the photo, but it’s about right. Have included images of the original kit part and the Wild Hare conversion set also to give an idea of the differences for the Spray engines.

To answer you question Lee, I had issues with the angles at the edge and also the cuts down the center of the bottom of the airframe. I would love to see some of you photos if you have any.

oringinal.jpg

wh1.jpg

wh2.jpg

resin2.jpg

resin3.jpg

resin1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some more progress images from my FG.1 build. Slow going with some earthquaking distractions over here. But back into it now!

Work done on intakes, decided that I will use covers, changed my mind , then changed it back! I have 4 other 1/32 Phantom projects planned and all have seamless intakes ready and waiting, so one without I can live with.

The rear underside plug has been cleaned up somewhat, but still needs some work. One of the sprey engines can be seen in aprox in the correct place.

it2.jpg

it3.jpg

it1.jpg

en1.jpg

e2.jpg

Very nice work Stephen, I hope to be at a similar point in my build shortly. Glad to see you made it over to the GB! Did you cast resin copies of the WH kit, or are you going to go the route shown in the tutorial? keep up the good work! :speak_cool:

Very nice work Stephen, I hope to be at a similar point in my build shortly. Glad to see you made it over to the GB! Did you cast resin copies of the WH kit, or are you going to go the route shown in the tutorial? keep up the good work! :speak_cool:

Hi Lee,

If you are talking about the engines, lets say the WH kitparts were very usful, and have saved alot of time. The rear bottom airframe "plug" was made from a plaster of paris mould from the WH kit as I did not seem to be able to get the shape right as in the tutorial. The rest is by the book (tutorial).

Hi Lee,

If you are talking about the engines, lets say the WH kitparts were very usful, and have saved alot of time. The rear bottom airframe "plug" was made from a plaster of paris mould from the WH kit as I did not seem to be able to get the shape right as in the tutorial. The rest is by the book (tutorial).

Ooops, I just re-read my post, and can see that I was vague- sorry about that.... I was referring to the resin burner cans, if you had cast copies of those too, in addition to the rear fuselage part, or if you were going to scratch those- build looks good! I almost, but not quite, wish that i went the FOD cover route- almost....

Lee

• 1 month later...

Another update, sorry for the delay but hopefully the hard stuffs over with and now progress should be quicker

I have now finished the major airframe modifications, installed the cockpit and primed the kit. Still needs a touch up here and there but 99% "airframed" to an FR1.

Next will be the wings and tail section, nose and trying to get the rest of the parts into the cockpit!

Look forward to any comments and recommendations.

prim02.jpg

P5080012.jpg

P5080020.jpg

P5080015.jpg

P5080014.jpg

P5080013.jpg

P5080011.jpg

P5080019.jpg

That looks terrific---

Frank Mitchell

Another update, sorry for the delay but hopefully the hard stuffs over with and now progress should be quicker

I have now finished the major airframe modifications, installed the cockpit and primed the kit. Still needs a touch up here and there but 99% "airframed" to an FR1.

Next will be the wings and tail section, nose and trying to get the rest of the parts into the cockpit!

Look forward to any comments and recommendations.

prim02.jpg

P5080012.jpg

P5080020.jpg

P5080015.jpg

P5080014.jpg

P5080013.jpg

P5080011.jpg

P5080019.jpg

• 2 months later...

Starting to move ahead on this build now. Hope to get it finished by 14th Aug for the club aircraft comp. Have completed the airframe conversion and now onto the major paint work. Light a/c grey, med grey and barley grey. Preshading is done and the underside painted as you can see. Will be doing top, sides today/ tomorrow. Got to get it finished!!

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg