Foiling a Starfighter: TGIFD

Gazzas

Hi Everyone,

More work on this Starfighter.  I've got all of the bare aluminum parts foiled and polished.  Unfortunately the polishing process undid a lot of the graining I'd put in place.  I've got some seriously fine micromesh to reinstill some strategically.

061436.jpg

061709.jpg

061648.jpg

061634.jpg

061614.jpg

Now I can get to work on the steel parts around the engine and cannon aperture.  Such a sleek shape.  

Thanks for looking,

Gaz

That looks amazing! No better way to create a natural metal finish than, well... natural metal! May I ask what type of foil you are using?

Hi, and thank you!  The foil is just the cheapest, thinnest foil I could find at the local discount store.  It's called  "Brawny", funnily enough, and comes from the Peoples Republic of China, one of Australia's biggest trade partners.  You can thin it even more my making a mixture of 50/50 bleach and water and letting it soak for no more than three minutes.  After 3 minutes, pinholes will begin to appear.  

Rinse it off quickly and allow to dry.

I didn't give it the bleach dip this time around and there are times I wish I had. 

Gaz

Guys,

Thanks for your generous comments!

Here's another small update:

A few days ago I had accumulated 8 eggshells, crushed them up and boiled them adding some aluminum foil to stain the foil.  Some sheets were laid shiny side down, others dull side down.  I tried to keep the sheets as smooth as possible in the boiling water as it's easy to pinhole them.  This process added some brown staining which I hope will get me half wahy to 'steel'.  Here is the engine section covered:

133950.jpg

134007.jpg

133921.jpg

133938.jpg

Obviously it's a bit too brown for the outside of a Starfighter.  But on Thunderjet, it's the right color you would just have to rumple the foil the right way to get the desired effect.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Very nice Gaz!

Questions:

1. Your favorite tools/method to smooth and contour the foil with?
  2. Recommended adhesive?
  3. Do you gloss clear-coat the foil against oxidation?

Thanks...

HI Tom,

Thank you!

1.  Wooden coffee stirrer (sanded smooth), Q-tip, and Round tooth pick

2.  Microscale adhesive for Aluminum Foil

3.  Yes, even though it dissipates the shine.

Gaz

Very impressive results Gaz, thanks for sharing your expertise with foiling.

I don't suppose you'd ever consider doing a full-on tutorial in the techniques section at some point, clearly you know what's what with this art.

Torben

Just to let the cat out of the bag a little bit, LSP's resident foiling master and I are collaborating on an entire book about foiling, with the intention of covering the entire process as comprehensively as possible. It will be the ultimate tutorial!

Kev

Guys,

Thank you very much.  I'm not really much of an expert.  This is only my fifth foiled aircraft.   I could do one but it would have to wait until my next foil venture since pictures are a must.  In the meantime, I'll show you where I got my start:

http://www.finescale.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/6/7/d/foiledlightning1.pdf

Gaz