Tamiya 1/32 Early P-51D "Lou IV" finished 07-09-15

MustangManiac

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the encouraging remarks from all of you.

Brian- I'd recommend Airventure to anyone who loves planes or even relatively likes them. I've seen some rare ones there, the summer before last I got to see Race 74 the F2G Super Corsair before we lost her and Bob. You also get to see everything in the EAA museum for free with your admission to the airshow. Be prepared to walk miles literally in one day or wait on lots of trams to see everything. I think it's worth every penny you pay for admission every year myself. I went with my mom as a late birthday gift in 2009 for the first time and I've gone every year since nor plan to stop. Last summer they had an F4F Wildcat they had just pulled from one of the great lakes, Lake Michigan I believe, sitting on a low riding flat semi trailer right next to a fully restored airworthy F4F....it was awesome. I sooooo wanted to help restore her but Kalamazoo isn't the shortest drive for me either. The destination of the freshly pulled F4F was to be a static display at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo. I mainly spend my entire visit in Warbird Alley other than when they are performing in the airshow. You also can get to meet some awesome people there, I've seen Bud Anderson multiple times there and at Thunder Over Michigan another air show I go to yearly, sadly smaller and more expensive than airventure though. When it comes to getting tickets if you're an EAA member you get a discount for your admission and one guest otherwise you pay more to get in, you can buy a membership at the gate if you like. You also get one of their magazines for a year with the membership. If you're interested in Thunder Over Michigan at all it's usually the week before or after Airventure so some of the same birds can come to both shows. If you want to go to this show get your tickets early they increase in price as time gets closer to the show whereas Airventure doesn't.  The cool part about Thunder over Michigan is across the grass of the runways is actually where Henry Ford built the B-24 during WWII and they plan to make the same building their new Museum. This show is located at Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, Michigan. The Yankee Air Museum there has a B-17, a B-25, a C-47, one of the two airworthy B-24s and many other static displays including a B-52. I go because it and Airventure are the two closest to home that are annual shows and good.

Back to the topic of my build, I messed it up. I used too much glue when putting the side panel back on and it got on my Alclad finish. Is there any saving the finish?

IMG_20150115_103723_109_zps26ef58e4.jpg

IMG_20150115_103738_467_zps78a0dc1b.jpg

Cheers,

Brady

It looks to me like there's a bit of a gap between the radiator housing and the tail wheel assembly in your 1st pic. I'd fill that with some Mr. Surfacer 500 1st. Then I'd use a 3200 polishing cloth to smooth out the area affected by the glue if it's crazed the surface. Once you're sure it's perfectly smooth, mask off the affected area, re-primer, and then re-spray the Alclad. Better still may be to do the repair on the finish work when you spray the rest of the airframe. I don't think there's anything you can do to restore your original finish but others here may know better. You'll get it figured out I'm sure Brady.

Cheers,

Wolf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Not much of an update really here, I'm just considering changing my paint scheme to the P-51D prototype. One thing I'm uncertain on though is if it still had the wings of a P-51B I've found color photos of the prototype plane in flight and on the ground and it looks cool to me. If it still had a great difference when it came to the wings I'll have to rule this one out. If I can't make the prototype P-51D then I'm considering using the Eagelcal decal sheet that has Hun Hunter Texas, Lou IV, and the bluenosed sharkmouth. I'm leaning towards Lou IV or the Sharkmouth either one would be painting practice for later builds of George Preddy's P-51D and Moon Mullins' P-51D both being early P-51D-5s. I've learned a fair share already of places where I screwed up on this build so I'm not going to make it one of the two I originally was going to paint it as. I have quite a few of these kits still to build. One place that sucks if I change the paint scheme to one of these I have to switch to shrouded exhausts too. Tell me which one of the other two I should go with if I can't use the P-51D's wings on the P-51D prototype.

Cheers,

Brady

The Smithsonian P-51D Kit "Will It Run?" is probably the one to find.

CAM02388_zps3c58a17b.jpg

^ This is the kit I used. ^

Although I believe there are two other WW2 marked Revell "D" kits as well.

The Bob Hoover version may be a good candidate as well.

The Miss America version has a tinted canopy and windscreen, and has an H model Aeroproducts paddle style propeller, so in my opinion wouldnt be.

I believe the Phantom Mustang and F-51D are the same kit and originally Monogram and have Hamilton Standard cuffless props and the much more pronounced kink in the wind found on the D model.

I hope others will offer up their knowledge on this, as I am still getting all these Mustang kits and their idiosyncrasies figured out.

Clear as mud...right?

Hello everyone,

I've realized I messed up earlier on if I was going to build "Passion Wagon", she has shrouded exhausts and I used the unshrouded ones on my bird. I want your opinions here does it look like Walter "Moon" Mullins' mustang had shrouded exhausts too? It's hard for me to determine, but I'm thinking it had them too.

P51D_KIS_orig_800.jpg

The hardest part about this mess up on my part is the fact that there aren't a lot of options of P-51D-5s with unshrouded exhausts and a filletless tail. I may find myself just having to replace the exhaust stacks with the shrouded ones or go with Henry Brown's P-51D-5. That sounds easier than trying to remove the filletless tail and still having a good clean smooth surface on the skin of the fuselage. Tell me what you think on the real plane's exhaust stacks from the only picture that I know of there being of this plane.

Thanks for the help,

Brady 

I would like to see the Bob Hoover kit and compare it. Seen them for sale on Ebay, but never in person.....Harv

Edited by Guest

Hello everyone,

I've realized I messed up earlier on if I was going to build "Passion Wagon", she has shrouded exhausts and I used the unshrouded ones on my bird. I want your opinions here does it look like Walter "Moon" Mullins' mustang had shrouded exhausts too? It's hard for me to determine, but I'm thinking it had them too.

P51D_KIS_orig_800.jpg

Most definitely looks like shrouded to me.

That's what I was thinking too Brian.

I guess I'll have to change my paint scheme to Henry Brown's P-51D or try to take the exhausts off and exchange them for the shrouded ones. Thanks for your opinion on the picture of the real thing.

Cheers,

Brady

I bit the bullet and chose to take the unshrouded exhausts off and glue the shrouds on without the exhaust stubs. I'm still considering doing a different paint scheme though and doing one of each of "Passion Wagon" and Moon Mullins' Mustang later with the cowl panels fixed so I don't have to cut up beautiful decals and I want to "Pimp" the cockpit a bit more for them both too. I'll post pictures later when the glue is dry.

Cheers,

Brady

I've got the parts that come with the shrouds from Tamiya. I'm just choosing to wait to glue them in place until I have chosen a definite paint scheme. I'm doing this because a couple I'm considering have painted shrouds that match the cowling other than silver and I've already painted the exhaust parts, so they can wait a bit to get glued on. I appreciate the offer to share your supplies though Brian. I'm basically just trying not to mess up again like I already did.

IMG_20150130_131325_780_zps098bd820.jpg

IMG_20150130_131411_457_zps85062e19.jpg

This is what she looks like now.

Cheers,

Brady

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everybody,

I've been thinking about either changing my paint scheme to Lou IV or Maj. John Bennett's Blue Nosed Sharkmouth. One thing I've found on Bennett's mustang that I'm only finding in one place is that it supposedly was also named "Pistol Packin' Mama". I found this on the littlefriends website only and I'm not sure if it had the name somehow painted on or if it was just the famous Varga girl painted on somewhere like Strawboss 2/ Little Sandra had on her. Does anyone else know any more information on whether or not the sharkmouth really had the name or Varga girl or if this is a mistake in info on little friends? I only ask because neither of these kinds of markings are part of the EagleCals decal sheet I got in the mail today. If this makes the sharkmouth incomplete I think I'll go with Lou IV because it is complete and will be good airbrush practice for other projects. Please tell me if any of you guys have any info on Major Bennett's mustang it will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Brady