Hasegawa Emil

Hang in there, Kev. The pit will come together when you add some paint and create some depth. Are you going to expose the engine?

I was planning to Mike, but I'm not so sure at the moment. On the one hand, it will help disguise the purported shape issues with the nose on this kit; on the other hand, I don't know that I'll be able to get the engine looking good enough to be worth displaying. Does anybody have a decent photo or drawing of a DB601?

Anyway, still working on the cockpit...

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself, Mate...

The cockpit is looking like it'll dress-up great when painted, and that engine is more about how you weather and paint it than how many wires and pipes you add. (At least to my eyes)

Now as to the photo-etch? I can't seem to get away from the stuff, but it can sure be prickly! ;) Accept the fact that at least some of it will be fed to the carpet monster and carry on! I don't think I've used every bit from any one set yet! :)

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself, Mate...

The cockpit is looking like it'll dress-up great when painted, and that engine is more about how you weather and paint it than how many wires and pipes you add. (At least to my eyes)

Now as to the photo-etch? I can't seem to get away from the stuff, but it can sure be prickly! :rolleyes: Accept the fact that at least some of it will be fed to the carpet monster and carry on! I don't think I've used every bit from any one set yet! ;)

Thanks Dave - I knew I could count on you for some encouragement! I've decided to take your advice on the engine and see what I can do. I've completed all the detail painting for the cockpit, and all the parts have had a wash. Once I've given it a dry brush I'll post some more photos.

One thing I've found indispensable for working with this photo-etch stuff is the optivisor I bought recently. The best $30 I've spent on modelling gear I reckon! Comes in handy for the detail painting too. Heck, in another 20 years I'll probably be using it for driving...

Kev

One thing I've found indispensable for working with this photo-etch stuff is the optivisor I bought recently. The best $30 I've spent on modelling gear I reckon! Comes in handy for the detail painting too. Heck, in another 20 years I'll probably be using it for driving...

My friend, when I'm at the bench I have that thing glued to my forehead! (this is made easier by the stark lack of hair there...) What's humiliating is when I find myself answering the door for the pizza guy and I have the bloody thing on my head. ;)

I always hated the single lens magnifier I had been using because I lost all depth perception. The goofy-goggles made all the difference!!

As promised, here are some photos of the progress so far. The cockpit painting is basically finished, and work has begun on the engine.

post-3071-1206764562.jpg

I'm not looking forward to the challenge of getting those sidewalls to fit onto the main cockpit floor - or the entire assembly into the fuselage!

post-3071-1206764574.jpg

post-3071-1206764584.jpg

post-3071-1206764595.jpg

Must learn how to take better photos too!

Kev

Hi Kev!

I have to agree with Dave... you're being WAY too hard on yourself. I'd be proud to call that cockpit mine ;)

I must say that I find your 109 build very inspiring! I have a great many plans for a great many models - but after assembling all the items for a build, sometimes a kind of paralysis sets in that now I've spent all that moolah I'd better not stuff it up. But your example of 'having a go' has convinced me that its ok to use my Kinetic Sabre for the RAF build, and to risk masking and airbrushing all the markings (because there's no decal set available). I was going to cop out and build a Revell Typhoon OOB, but not now...

Thanks and all kudos to you!

Adrian

Hi Kev!

I have to agree with Dave... you're being WAY too hard on yourself. I'd be proud to call that cockpit mine :rolleyes:

I must say that I find your 109 build very inspiring! I have a great many plans for a great many models - but after assembling all the items for a build, sometimes a kind of paralysis sets in that now I've spent all that moolah I'd better not stuff it up. But your example of 'having a go' has convinced me that its ok to use my Kinetic Sabre for the RAF build, and to risk masking and airbrushing all the markings (because there's no decal set available). I was going to cop out and build a Revell Typhoon OOB, but not now...

Thanks and all kudos to you!

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I'm blushing now...

;)

More soon.

Kev

post-3154-1206789989.gif

This is rather brilliant Kev!!!

Results like that will be well worth any extra effort involved in fitting the resin into the kit....

Top notch work!

PS Your photography is improving greatly as well!

Thanks for the rather flattering feedback guys - much appreciated! Things are slowing down a bit while I try to work out how to get these sub-assemblies together properly. Here's the finished engine (minus the guns, which I haven't started yet):

post-3071-1207033448.jpg

post-3071-1207033466.jpg

I've begun dry-fitting the various cockpit parts to themselves, and into the fuselage, and I think I'm in for some trouble. Here you can see the port sidewall attached after some considerable grinding of the floor width. It's way too wide for the Hasegawa fuselage, leaving me wishing I'd gone for the MDC set:

post-3071-1207033508.jpg

Here's a width comparison with the Hasegawa kit part:

post-3071-1207033519.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to cut away the bottom part of the fuel tank, where it goes under the cockpit, in order the ensure clearance for the wing assembly.

And just to make things even more interesting, here's a rather interesting take on the concept of 'straight':

post-3071-1207033738.jpg

:blink:

My main concern now in getting the fuselage together is making sure that the engine fits properly in the engine bay, and still allows the cockpit to sit correctly (or vice versa if you prefer). I just can't see it all lining up at the moment, but stay tuned to find out!

Kev

OK, after much grinding, sawing, huffing and puffing, I think I've got it all lined up:

post-3071-1207121569.jpg

You can see how poorly the resin cockpit parts fit against each other. Hopefully these huge gaps won't really be noticeable inside the cockpit. I had to saw about 3 or 4 mm off the bottom of the fuel tank so it didn't dangle below the bottom of the fuselage.

Here's another view:

post-3071-1207121584.jpg

I've still got to work on the instrument panel and the guns before this area is complete.

Stay tuned!

Kev

Kev

This looks really nice. I do like the combination of TD and Eduard for the cockpit. I certainly wouldn't be ashamed of what you've put together. Resin and PE can be nasty to deal with and can often not look like they're designed for the kit you're trying to fit them into! However, the final payback is always most rewarding.

If you end up not liking the engine and don't want to put the cowling on try making a tarpaulin out of tissue paper and draping that over the engine?

Matt

If you end up not liking the engine and don't want to put the cowling on try making a tarpaulin out of tissue paper and draping that over the engine?

Not a bad idea Matt. The main issue with displaying the engine is that it's rather anemic in cross-section, and I'm a bit worried that it will just look really toy-like sitting in the engine bay (as opposed to filling it). I'm happy enough with the detail and painting though.

I did however come across yet another stumbling block. I had a choice between the Eduard IP and the TD resin one. I felt the PE one looked better so I set to work on it. After getting quite far along, I decided to test fit it... :angry: ...there's no way that thing will fit in or around the TD cockpit! :P It's designed to fit in with the stock kit components, so I've had to abandon it and pull out the TD resin IP, which unfortunately is nowhere near as nice. Oh well.

Kev