Airfix 1/24 North American P51D/K Mustang (Mk. IVA)

Sparzanza

Well I plugged the hole in the airscoop with some sprue and superglue, wuewuewue. When it's dry, it'll be sanded smooth and flush. I don't know whether I'm supposed to attempt to preserve the panel line across it though, as I cannot find any proper reference pictures of the scoop from underneath. If anyone can help out here, please do so.

DSC00144_zpsk5ga26ov.jpg

And then I got bored waiting for it to dry, so I decided to glue the tailplanes in place so I wouldn't have to do it after painting and make it look messy. I'd rather spend an hour masking carefully than four days of sanding/filling and painting. Anyway, they clicked into place easy enough, but there are still some minor gaps to be filled - much like the main wing roots.

DSC00145_zpsb9j5dk5k.jpg

DSC00146_zpsp505ex0m.jpg

Looks straight to me!

DSC00147_zps2cjjaljt.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

Well, I'm quite pleased to inform yous that the filling of the wingroot seams is more or less complete - and no surface detail lost by sanding. All excess putty was removed with cottonbuds moist with acetone.

DSC00148_zpsbg9u7obb.jpg

DSC00149_zpsy14cydxm.jpg

Still having some paint left in the paintcup after an airbrush session (1/48 Tamiya P51-B), I sprayed over some of my sanding, filling, and rescribing efforts underneath and found some flaws that will need to be corrected before priming with aluminium.

DSC00150_zpsn1itai9r.jpg

This area seems to be well done though:

DSC00151_zpsmuaip41c.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thanks Joe! A bit late, but... thank you.

Looks like this one will be next in line to be completed, folks.

It's been put on hold to have its canopy polished by Boris, but once the pieces return, I can start painting it. It's ready.

Edited by Sparzanza

I'll watch !.....Harv :popcorn:

Hey Harv, glad to have you!

Right with Harv

Peter :popcorn:

Glad to have you back as well Peter!

Some very nice work here on this old bird you really have done a great job on the pit.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Guy

Thanks for stopping by, Guy! Hoping to have made a tiny bit of progress next week.

Sparza, just been reading your thread, I have an original 51d in the stash circa 1974 I think, You have given me the push to get it out and finish it..........

Thanks for stopping by, and glad to hear that I've inspired you to get to work! Be sure to post pictures!

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone.

I have gotten some of my mojo back after a long break. Managed to finish a couple of Tamiya 1/48 kits - a Dornier Do-335 Pfeil and a FW190 F-8. While I wasn't entirely happy with them, I was relieved to have finished something.

JiNwhM4.jpg

lirSaNk.jpg

ZTHw4yb.jpg

b388D90.jpg

FqUgE6W.jpg

I then noticed the 1/24 Mustang in the stash and decided to put her on the table and see what I could do.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I sent the clear parts to Boris for some polishing. However, he is a very busy man, and they keep being put on hold - so I dug up the canopy parts from my second Airfix 1/24 Mustang and decided to tackle their imperfections on my own in the meantime. Basically they cannot be cut off the sprues without inflicting some kind of damage to the glass. I went way out of my comfort zone and started sanding on the clear part until I reached the same level as the deep scratch. I then sanded with gradually finer sandpaper until I reached the buff sticks in my Flory collection. At this point I was very happy with the result, but I will still give a final swoosh with some toothpaste tomorrow.

LLuPRx9.jpg

VWfLREv.jpg

With this out of the way, there is not much assembly left before I can start some painting. Mainly stuff I accidentally knocked off when manhandling it.

Hopefully there'll be more pics tomorrow.