1/48 SWS F-4J - VMFA-232 "Red Devils" 1972

DirkE

Dirk,

Just read through your entire build, and to say I'm more then impressed, is putting it midly. Outstanding modeling skills, coupled with added detailing both AM and your own, adds up to one tremendous looking F-4J.  Can't wait to see the finished model on it's display base. :wow:  :thumbsup: 

I've built the Academy F-4B when it 1st came out, and I loved the kit and build.   I've been on the fence as to which manufacture has the best overall F-4 kits (price not an issue). At this point, I'm thinking that ZM does. Especially since it doesn't suffer from the" how many access panels can be opened up, and unseen details" syndrome that many of their 1/32 kits suffer from.  Your build has answered many of my questions and concerns. Even if I go almost all OOB (which is how I usually build a rare jet kit), I think that the ZM kit will offer a slightly better finished display model.

Joel

Thanks Joel. I think it's a good kit. The issues I had with the cockpit was not a problem with the kit. It was my "basic modelling skill". Lol Anyway, the only thing that annoyed me a bit were the outer wings. Well, I am closing this project soon. Photos will follow.

Thanks Joel. I think it's a good kit. The issues I had with the cockpit was not a problem with the kit. It was my "basic modelling skill". Lol Anyway, the only thing that annoyed me a bit were the outer wings. Well, I am closing this project soon. Photos will follow.

Dirk,

Looking forward to seeing it finished and on it's display base.

Joel

Dirk,

Looks great.  I may have missed it, but where did you find the outer pylons or rather, where did you scavenge them from?  The ones in the ZM kit are integral with the wing tanks and I plan on hanging an empty TER there.

BW

Brandon, the outer pylons are from a F-4 Hasegawa kit. They received some extra rivets and panel lines. They fit good to the shape of the Z-M wing.

Dirk,

Just an outstanding build. Your painting and weathering really helps set your build apart from so many other F4s I've seen, and that includes my early Academy F-4B. Your loads out really adds quite a lot to the overall presentation. 

I was on the fence about buying this ZM kit over the Academy one, but I think I'll get one, as well as the Academy C

Joel

Edited by Joel_W