How to glue photoetch to clear parts

What does work and is tried and tested is this. First spray clear acrylic lacquer onto the etching the side you want glue, and when I say acrylic I'm talking car paints here. Then to glue the parts you need to use dichloromethane or MEK using a clean brush and it will naturally run under the etching and reactivate the lacquer and then set and any spillage will just gas off.

Graham

As has been said already - and remembering that such peripheral equipment as attached to a frame and not the actual perspex on the original - a PVA clear glue is likely the most commonly available solution for you. The piece is under no stress, apart from gravity.

But it's also not as strong a bond as a medium viscosity cyano glue would provide.

So as long as your placement is precise and properly on the frame area, and as long as the fumes during curing evaporate up and away from your windscreen, your clear areas should be fine if care is taken.

I could also add that a slice of round sprue, either black or painted black, glued to the back of your PE instrument face would give it a more 3-D look.

But that's an easily ignored minor detail.

No one's heard of odourless/non-fuming CA?

i heard you mention this on FB Jim, but  thought it referred just to the fact that it doesn't "smell"!

does this mean it does not fog?

i heard you mention this on FB Jim, but  thought it referred just to the fact that it doesn't "smell"!

does this mean it does not fog?

That's right, it's non-bloom/fog etc. or what other terminology is used. You can glue clear things together without the usual white cloud appearing. 

If the part is glued on a painted area of the clear part, i use CA, but i mask the canopy before (i always paint the inside of the canopy so it's masked on both sides), so there cannot be any fogging risk. If the PE part needs to be glued directly on somewhere ramaining clear, i use kristal klear or any ther kind of PVA glue.

Edited by Zero77

Ok I used some clear pva glue for now as that was easy to get. Working out well, i just have to leave the parts alone for an hour or so before working with them. This threas has lots of good info in it that I can apply going forward. Will definitely try out several ideas!

• 2 months later...

What does work and is tried and tested is this. First spray clear acrylic lacquer onto the etching the side you want glue, and when I say acrylic I'm talking car paints here. Then to glue the parts you need to use dichloromethane or MEK using a clean brush and it will naturally run under the etching and reactivate the lacquer and then set and any spillage will just gas off.

Graham

Can you give me a brand name of the type of laquer you are talking about?