1/200 HMS Rodney with Shagbat: Maintopmast and Topgallant

Uncarina

I built the Tamiya KGV, and loved it. I would really be happy to see her as a 1/200 kit, along with the British Monitors HMS Abercrombie and HMS Roberts. The combination of unique design and Admiralty camouflage for British WWII ships gets my motor running.

Cheers, Tom

With the apparent popularity of the 1:200 kits, I wouldn't surprise me if we did eventually see one.

It looks like the KGV did have the more or less conventional layout of many battleships, with two turrets fore and one aft, but with one of the fore turrets having four guns, the number two turret having two, and the number three also having four, very interesting stuff.

Brief update: assembled the conning tower and parts of the associated area. Good tweezers, optics, and adhesive are essential!

For tweezers I use: https://smile.amazon.com/Tweezers-Ingrown-Hair-TweezerGuru-Professional/dp/B012X2ZNOA/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_g2609328962?_encoding=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0&ie=UTF8

No comments about ingrown hair please! I've used a lot of different tweezers over time and so far these are my favorite, minimizing undesired part launches!

For optics I use the Optivisor, and for adhesive I use thick and thin cyanoacrylate, and Future acrylic floor polish.

Cheers, Tom

N6N4pPI.jpg

9JP0dS8.jpg

7qxpEtq.jpg

Wow! That is amazing work with that photo etch on the Rodney! I've been following ship builds lately...bought the 1/200 USS ARIZONA and the MK1 detail set for my birthday! Unfortunately most of the Arizona builds the pictures are blank cause of photo bucket. Anyway...your work is very cool and will follow your progress! I build mostly airplanes so I need all the help/visual reference I can get!

Thank you! The USS Arizona is a ship that I do feel connected with: my grandfather was the Chief Engineer, and was transferred in November, 1941. These links might provide some inspiration:

http://www.fineartmodels.com/Arizona.html

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12942&start=1860

Cheers, Tom

Thank you for those links Tom! I have been to the Arizona Memorial a couple of times when I would crew rest at Hickam AFB. Fate was on your grandfathers side in 1941. Have several books about the Arizona and yesterday "Second to the last to leave USS Arizona" by Lauren Bruner came in the mail. Currently reading "Spadefish" about a WWII submarine. It was fitted with a radar so they could navigate Japanese mine fields...some of the crew got nervous about that and transferred off to be "on eternal patrol" when their new sub was lost. 

Guest Maxim

Pontos instructions are many times not very clear as to how you fold a part. I love their arrows, bend 180 degrees. Understand but which direction. Great progress and as difficult as some assemblies are with the Pontos stuff, the end result is amazing. Your progress is really nice and clean.

Maxim,

Thanks, you are very kind! I absolutely agree about the instructions. After breaking at least one etched piece by folding over and again, I've been relying mainly on instinct! I cannot complain about the fit, however, which has been for the most part amazing.

Cheers, Tom