N1177 1/32 Academy Nieuport 17

RLWP

:goodjob: Nice job, especially on the upper-wing cut-away and Lewis gun mount. 

Questions, if you don't mind:

1. Where did you get the detailed information?
  2. What did you use for rigging?
  3. If you would, please share your painting/color/marking information.

:goodjob: Nice job, especially on the upper-wing cut-away and Lewis gun mount. 

Questions, if you don't mind:

1. Where did you get the detailed information?
  2. What did you use for rigging?
  3. If you would, please share your painting/color/marking information.

Hi Tom,

1/. From the Nieuport Fighters Datafile volume 1. N1177 is on page 27, image 52 

2/. It's mostly invisible thread fixed to Bob's Buckles parts. The control cables to the empennage are nickle silver wire and really should be dulled down.

3/. Partly from the datafile, and the 'Soleil' from his later SPAD VII here: http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/escadrille076.htm

Does that help?

Richard

Best bit is the transparency in the upper wing & the Lewis gun and attachment.

Really makes it stand out - bit of bravery involved as well to chop up such a noticeable part of the aeroplane, but it certainly worked.

What material did you use for the transparency? I have to get some for my Nieuport kit, it makes a huge difference

Hi Tom,

1/. From the Nieuport Fighters Datafile volume 1. N1177 is on page 27, image 52 

2/. It's mostly invisible thread fixed to Bob's Buckles parts. The control cables to the empennage are nickle silver wire and really should be dulled down.

3/. Partly from the datafile, and the 'Soleil' from his later SPAD VII here: http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/escadrille076.htm

Does that help?

Richard

So far, but not having my own copy of Nieuport Fighters Datafile publication, I would have to "S.W.A.G" the dimensions of the inner wing structure and cut-out as well as the support structure for the Lewis gun.

I guess you made your own decals-nice job!

I do suggest that you re-take the finish photo with a plain background in case they want to publish it here.

I know I would!

Tom

Edited by Gigant

I do suggest that you re-take the finish photo with a plain background in case they want to publish it here.

I know I would!

Tom

I'll see what I can do

What material did you use for the transparency? I have to get some for my Nieuport kit, it makes a huge difference

It's a bit of overhead projector transparency, the printable sort. (wow, that dates me, who uses an OH projector these days!). 

Thanks for the appreciations, guys.

Richard

So far, but not having my own copy of Nieuport Fighters Datafile publication, I would have to "S.W.A.G" the dimensions of the inner wing structure and cut-out as well as the support structure for the Lewis gun.

I just remembered, the wing structure is in the Rozendaal drawings in the Nieuport 17 Datafile 20, page29. I blew it up to twice the printed size, you can actually read the dimensions then if you are mad enough 

Richard

Here is the Academy I did a while back, and it is one of the few kits I would like to do again, only with improved paints, parts and tools available these days:

30807049215_8f230a2cfa.jpg100_0463 by Tom Taylor, on Flickr

Due to the lack of a decent Lewis gun then and mounting information as good as yours, I chose to leave mine off., but now I must reconsider!

Edited by Gigant