Next WNW

Dave Williams

People forget there are perfectly acceptable Nieuports, SPADs and a Dr.I from Roden that they could build instead of hankering for a WNW version.

WNW have always produced what they want to produce, not what people think they should produce, so there's little point in complaining about what they manufacture. If they want to do a Dr.I, or a bunch of Nieuports, they'll do it but, honestly, I don't see that happening any time soon - not whilst the Roden kits are readily available.

Edited by vince14

People forget there are perfectly acceptable Nieuports, SPADs and a Dr.I from Roden that they could build instead of hankering for a WNW version.

WNW have always produced what they want to produce, not what people think they should produce, so there's little point in complaining about what they manufacture. If they want to do a Dr.I, or a bunch of Nieuports, they'll do it but, honestly, I don't see that happening any time soon - not whilst the Roden kits are readily available.

Define "perfectly acceptable".  The Roden 1/32 Dr. I is not even in the same area code as the WNW release of the same plane would be.

And if we are going by the standard of "that's already been done" the Junkers D.1 has been kitted for years in both 1/72 and 1/48 scale! 

I actually like the D1, will buy it, and will enjoy building it.  I still think it was a disappointment, however, given the somewhat odd fanfare surrounding this release.

There is nothing stopping WNW from doing something special surrounding the anniversary of von Richthofen's death or some other aspect of the ending of the Great War in 1918.  I hope they do something like that b/c it would be kind of cool.

I am already thinking up a group build type project for anyone who is interested, regardless of what WNW does.

I.E., maybe we can do our own "100th Anniversary of the Death of Manfred von Richthofen" project.

I am thinking of doing one of his Albatros DVs using the WNW kit as a base.  I have the green tail trilogy box sitting in my on-deck circle as I type!

I am finishing up the Pfalz D.III at the moment.  Still need to photograph and post the photos of my now finished LVG.

As you can see, I've been absolutely overcome by WNW fever.  

I've got it bad! 

:D

Well...

I thought long and hard about pre-ordering the Junkers D.I.  And then I went to the WNW site and ordered....

...the Albatros D.V Green Tail Trilogy.

Hard to turn down a three-plane deal, especially when one comes with the Bavarian Lozenge.

Besides, I just ordered a biplane jig from BNA Modelworld.

Gaz

Define "perfectly acceptable".  The Roden 1/32 Dr. I is not even in the same area code as the WNW release of the same plane would be.

And if we are going by the standard of "that's already been done" the Junkers D.1 has been kitted for years in both 1/72 and 1/48 scale! 

I actually like the D1, will buy it, and will enjoy building it.  I still think it was a disappointment, however, given the somewhat odd fanfare surrounding this release.

For the Roden Dr.I, all you really need are a pair of replacement guns (which we'd probably do with the WNW kit in any case) and perhaps a seat and cowling from Aviattic. The rest is just the application of modelling skill. The weak point of Roden kits continues to be the decals, however.

As for the 'already kitted' arguement, WNW has previously stated that they wouldn't produce kits of subjects that are widely available in 1/32 from other manufacturers (the DH.2 and Sopwith Triplane actually being in development at the same time by both Roden and WNW). As soon as it looked like the ancient Hobbycraft/Academy Camel was going to be out of production and no longer available, WNW popped out their versions (although Italeri then purchased the Hobbycraft molds and produced their own Camel). I've no doubt that if Roden stopped producing kits tomorrow we'd see a WNW Dr.I within a short space of time. Until that happens, I honestly don't think we'll see one from WNW.

I really think the modelling community created the fanfare for this release rather than WNW. They've announced releases in a wide range of manners over the years - from having 'In Development' on their website, to dropping releases out of the blue, to having them announced through adverts placed in modelling magazines. Even the fabled 'Christmas Release' didn't happen one year. The hype came from us - we saw the announcement of a new kit and, because of the desire for a certain kit from many quarters, we decided that 22/04/1918 +100 + 32065 = Dr.I, and now we're a little bit miffed that our addition was wrong. 

For the Roden Dr.I, all you really need are a pair of replacement guns (which we'd probably do with the WNW kit in any case) and perhaps a seat and cowling from Aviattic. The rest is just the application of modelling skill. The weak point of Roden kits continues to be the decals, however.

As for the 'already kitted' arguement, WNW has previously stated that they wouldn't produce kits of subjects that are widely available in 1/32 from other manufacturers (the DH.2 and Sopwith Triplane actually being in development at the same time by both Roden and WNW). As soon as it looked like the ancient Hobbycraft/Academy Camel was going to be out of production and no longer available, WNW popped out their versions (although Italeri then purchased the Hobbycraft molds and produced their own Camel). I've no doubt that if Roden stopped producing kits tomorrow we'd see a WNW Dr.I within a short space of time. Until that happens, I honestly don't think we'll see one from WNW.

I really think the modelling community created the fanfare for this release rather than WNW. They've announced releases in a wide range of manners over the years - from having 'In Development' on their website, to dropping releases out of the blue, to having them announced through adverts placed in modelling magazines. Even the fabled 'Christmas Release' didn't happen one year. The hype came from us - we saw the announcement of a new kit and, because of the desire for a certain kit from many quarters, we decided that 22/04/1918 +100 + 32065 = Dr.I, and now we're a little bit miffed that our addition was wrong. 

I have to say on some point's i have to dis-agree with you, but your opinion makes sense. If WNW only decide to launch a certain model, just because of the fact that it is not released by another company, then i find it a wrong marketing strategy. If you compare WNW kit's with the Roden one's, you have to admit that the quality is just world away from each other. Off course, price also i know that, but again, why not...........two of the same subjects in different price ranges and quality would give modelers the choice between the two, i think nobody would have a problem with that and the two company's would sure have their own customers. In the case of the SE.5a there was al ready one from Roden, and one from Encore so what about that subject, it existed and it was released by WNW in the same scale, so what about the above mentioned statement?? I still see today builds of the Roden kit, Encore kit and the WNW kit, and all are very nice in their own way once they are finished.

On the other hand, release rumors are indeed fed by the forum community. Everybody has his or her own wish to see their dream subject coming out. Sometimes it will, sometimes not. In this case i had no preferences, but i'm sure other people had them. For some of you guy's the Junkers D.1 was a welcome subject to hit the shelves, for others it was a bummer. For me it was two times in a row a subject that i didn't like (Dolphin and this one) but again, that's very personal and surely not to ment to bring other people opinions down. I respect every one of you guy's and i respect every one of you guy's opinions.

Greetz

Danny

Don't think of WNW as being like every other model kit company, where decisions on what products it makes are at least partly driven by profitability and marketing concerns. The reality is WNW is the hobby of a very rich man that we're fortunate enough to be able to share. They produce kits of subjects that Peter Jackson himself wants to build, and very early on he stated that he didn't want to force any other model manufacturers out of the 1/32 WWI business - that's why there's almost no crossover. The only reason there are types kitted by both WNW and Roden (Encore are re-boxed Roden kits) is because those kits were in development at the same time. Had WNW been aware that Roden was working on a DH.2, Sopwith Triplane and SE.5a before they started work on theirs, I doubt they'd have produced them.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it would be wonderful to have a WNW Dr.I, Nieuport 28 or SPAD VII. I just don't think it's going to happen anytime soon, not whilst Roden are still producing them and Peter Jackson has the final say on WNW's kit list.

Did anyone else pre-order the D.I? I just got an e-mail saying it is shipping! I ordered some other stuff with it so maybe it is just those items, but it included the Fokker in the shipped list. Will see I guess!

Did anyone else pre-order the D.I? I just got an e-mail saying it is shipping! I ordered some other stuff with it so maybe it is just those items, but it included the Fokker in the shipped list. Will see I guess!

What Fokker are you referring to?

Don't think of WNW as being like every other model kit company, where decisions on what products it makes are at least partly driven by profitability and marketing concerns. The reality is WNW is the hobby of a very rich man that we're fortunate enough to be able to share. They produce kits of subjects that Peter Jackson himself wants to build, and very early on he stated that he didn't want to force any other model manufacturers out of the 1/32 WWI business - that's why there's almost no crossover. The only reason there are types kitted by both WNW and Roden (Encore are re-boxed Roden kits) is because those kits were in development at the same time. Had WNW been aware that Roden was working on a DH.2, Sopwith Triplane and SE.5a before they started work on theirs, I doubt they'd have produced them.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it would be wonderful to have a WNW Dr.I, Nieuport 28 or SPAD VII. I just don't think it's going to happen anytime soon, not whilst Roden are still producing them and Peter Jackson has the final say on WNW's kit list.

How about the Academy 1/32 Sopwith Camel?  That dates back to 1990 as a Hobbycraft new tool and has been released under  both Academy and Italeri labels.

This kit pre-dates the WNW kits of the same type by 27 years as a Hobbycraft release, and 17 years as an Academy release.

And yet WNW still came out with their Camels.  

I'm not convinced WNW won't develop new kits that have already been kitted by other manufacturers.

Edited by ringleheim

Guest The Southern Bandit

Sounds about right, bought the Roden Dr.1 last year, bought some interior AM for it and also AM decals, my research showed the cowl is a little off and I have still to source that Aviattic one ... but otherwise it looks a great kit ... I'd like to get another Roden Dr.1 now in fact because it does look like we are not going to see one from WnW in the foreseeable future if ever?

How about the Academy 1/32 Sopwith Camel?  That dates back to 1990 as a Hobbycraft new tool and has been released under  both Academy and Italeri labels.

This kit pre-dates the WNW kits of the same type by 27 years as a Hobbycraft release, and 17 years as an Academy release.

And yet WNW still came out with their Camels.  

I'm not convinced WNW won't develop new kits that have already been kitted by other manufacturers.

I suspect that WNW started work on their Camels when it looked like Hobbycraft were ceasing production of the kit (the Academy and Italeri kits are the 'old' version), hence they crossover.

As for them developing other kits that have already seen the light of day, all we can do is take their word for it. This was Richard Alexander in June 2012 - relevent bits in bold (http://hyperscale.com/2012/features/wwinterviewdw_2.htm)

Q: Although the 2010 feature article on Wingnut Wings published on HyperScale stated there was no perceived need for a WNW Sopwith Camel due to the Hobbycraft kit, the Hobbycraft model is now unobtainable and many believe a Camel is a ‘natural†for Wingnut. Can you advise if Wingnut is working on a Camel? If not why not?

A: I can advise that we are not working on a Camel. Why not? Because we are currently working on models of aircraft from the Great War that have never been modelled in 1/32 scale. But this does not rule out the Camel (or any other subject for that matter) for sometime in the future. Never say never. (Note: WNW announced their Camel in June 2015)

Q: Would it then be correct to also say you are not doing a Fokker Dr.I ?

A:  Yes, we are not working on a Fokker Dr.I. But just as I said for the Camel, who knows what the future will hold? Never say never.

Q: The Ukrainian company Roden has reportedly retreated from 1/32 scale due to the quality/ price benefits of Wingnut kits. This effectively leaves Wingnut as the sole surviving mainstream 1/32 scale WWI aircraft kit manufacturer. How do you feel about that?

A: It's important not to forget that Roden still produce 18 great 1/32 WWI aircraft models (and 6 engines), not to mention the others available from Amodel, Special Hobby and Hobbycraft etc. So really, we cannot be considered 'the sole remaining mainstream 1/32 WWI aircraft manufacturer' and I feel that this statement is doing these other highly capable companies a great disservice. If they are no longer producing new models it does mean that eventually all the significant gaps in the 1/32 WWI aircraft available will be modelled by us.

Q: Are there plans to issue kits of French, Italian and Austro-Hungarian subjects?

A: We started with a long list of subjects to model but during the intervening years many of those were announced and released by other manufacturers before we could start ours. Sometimes, like in the case of the SE.5a,  DH.2 and Sopwith Triplane, our models were already well into the development stage before they were announced by Roden so we continued with our effort.

For those that decry the availability of French subjects in 1/32 scale, it should be noted that there are 15 French 1/32 WWI aircraft models currently available. This fares well against the 10 German and 8 British aircraft models currently available from Wingnut Wings.

Edited by vince14

^^ Some of the key words I see in that 6-year-old interview are "currently" as it relates to the Fokker Dr.1 plans and "never say never".  I note that these words didn't get the "bold" treatment.  No one knows to any degree of reasonable certainty what WNW is doing or will do concerning this plane, or any other plane.  Peter Jackson is the final arbiter when it comes to new subjects.