Wingnut Wings Bristol Fighter

TimW

Excellent .. I got that one as well but the rigging is putting me off from WWI for now, so I will be following this build with great interest!

~Bozz

I hear you on the rigging...it looks a bit challenging, but I'm going to do it a bit at a time.

I've been using steel wire of late and will probably continue to do so with this one as it can be a lot easier to handle and fix when sagging is an issue.

This kit is the first one I've built that has interior rigging. :rolleyes: But I shall soldier on.

Hopefully I'll have some pix by the weekend as I'm making pretty good progress with the cockpit which is simply amazing.

And multiple thumbs up for the plans! These are some of the most detailed and helpful I've ever seen, say compared to the somewhat sketchy rigging and painting instructions that come with most other kits.

Stay tuned.

TimW

First pictures. This is the first time I've ever "rigged" an interior, at least to this extent. The loose threads are the rudder cables, which will be tied up when I put the back part of the rear cockpit on.

post-717-1243002953.jpg

Excellent Tim---iv'e got this one also (and the S.E. which i am halfway through).

I still feel that the roundels are wrong proportions to be 'typical' for this period----and i can absolutely confirm that the roundels in the S.E. kit are too big!!!!! Does'nt matter as iv'e got some on order from Rowan at PHEON models.

Watching how you come on, and any 'dodgy' bits in the build Tim.

Dave.

Excellent Tim---iv'e got this one also (and the S.E. which i am halfway through).

I still feel that the roundels are wrong proportions to be 'typical' for this period----and i can absolutely confirm that the roundels in the S.E. kit are too big!!!!! Does'nt matter as iv'e got some on order from Rowan at PHEON models.

Watching how you come on, and any 'dodgy' bits in the build Tim.

Dave.

I'll have to check some more photos re: the decals... still not sure which version to do though I'm leaning toward Keith Park's aircraft.

So far, the only dodgy bits have been (1) some of the cockpit rigging would have been far easier to do before assembling the side framework--but the instructions don't mention some of the stuff like the rudder pedal cables and wiring to the control column until after assembly. It was still doable (not in these pictures), but a bit difficult; (2) the back part of the cockpit is a brass PE rendition of the screen and framing that separates the gunner from the rest of the fuselage.

It is VERY fiddly and took me a while to get it bent/mashed to where it fit properly (or at least seemed to fit properly).

Next I have to figure out which wires to glue into the fuselage before assembly. I've done the control cables for the horizontal stabilizers--you have to figure out where the holes go, though the brass bits for the control horns are very welcome.

These kits are not for the timid or the inexperienced!

Tim W

• 2 weeks later...

tim, The 'pit rigging looks fine. This is a jewel of a kit, and shouldn't take more than some careful planning to bring out all the potential. Have you considered Radus' raf "flying wires" for brit planes? Looks like a couple of sizes, and more or less airfoil shaped. I'm thinking these might help dress up some 1930s kits as well.

tim, The 'pit rigging looks fine. This is a jewel of a kit, and shouldn't take more than some careful planning to bring out all the potential. Have you considered Radus' raf "flying wires" for brit planes? Looks like a couple of sizes, and more or less airfoil shaped. I'm thinking these might help dress up some 1930s kits as well.

I've considered them...I'm only just getting a handle on using standard steel wire for rigging so don't know if I'll try them on this one...but I might. Still a long way from rigging the beast, what with other projects, work, life.

I've used stretched sprue for the elevator controls on the upper and lower fuselage and am still trying to figure out how I'll handle the remainder of the control and flying wires.... :unsure:

Regards,

TimW

OK....backordered some RAFwires from Radub's website...may have to wait a bit for them I guess but I have many other projects to keep my busy until then.

Pictures of progress to date soon.

One question...according to the plans, C814 "White 12" is Keith Park's/R.H. Little's Brisfit of 48 Squadron but a review I saw over at HyperScale identifies it as Bristol F.2b Fighter “white 12”, serial C.814, No.48 Sqn. RAF, 1918, which was shot down.

"C.814 became a victim of Jasta 10 when Offstv. Paul Aue brought it down on 3 May 1918 for his 6th victory. The crew of 2/Lt. CG Brown and Captain AW Sainsbury were made Prisoners of War."

So which is it? :lol: :D ;)

TimW

No problem Tim------Aeroplanes were often flown by different crews, and anyway, Park was with 48 so long it is quite expected he flew more than one machine.

He also flew, amongst others A7227 for instance. EDIT A little niggle ---the tyre decals for both 'S.E.' and 'BIFF' are wrong! Perfect for most British types like Sopwith pup/tripe/camel/D.H.2 and most of the rest (700/75) but wrong for the two kits, which should be 700/100 and 750/125 respectively.

Dave.

No problem Tim------Aeroplanes were often flown by different crews, and anyway, Park was with 48 so long it is quite expected he flew more than one machine.

He also flew, amongst others A7227 for instance.

Dave.

Ach so... I thought that might be the case, but it was rather jarring that the review differed so starkly from the kit information...and I've already painted the wheel hubs white! :lol:

TimW