SA-23E Mitchell-Hyundyne Starfury

spacewolf

Cool. B5 is the best when it comes to SciFi series, very closely followed by the new BSG. I keep looking for the box set along with the movies but without luck.

Certainly cutting edge in many ways at the time and still one of the best long run stories ever put on screen.

Cheers

Vaughn

Onward with the saga of the Starfury build...I totally understand why this ship is not kitted..it is a nightmare of angles and subtle curves. The top wing was my next focus. Being that I had only the three views to go by I took the shape of the top outer wing panel then drew it out using the front view as a guide to get the full span shape as the dihedral is sharp and if you use only the top view your wing will end up short by about 1/4 inch..(ask me how I know :doh: )... Front and middle spars glued on...

DSCF0902_zps540913e4.jpg

The trailing edge of the wing droops down behind the main spar from flat at the outer tip to a droop of 5 mm at the root. It has not been added at this point.

A center section was cut out and spars added from sheet...

DSCF0905_zpse71e6d68.jpg

The top outer skin was added and a guide made from scrap to help get the proper dihedral. Small sub spars were added to give strength and support the skin.

DSCF0907_zpsfed2b049.jpg

Everything framed up and jigged.... it looks good....

DSCF0908_zpscd36fa70.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

The top center skin was cut out and the depressions added. The raised section was made and I drilled holes in the skin of the center section to aid in gluing the raised section..in effect, 'spot riveting/ gluing' the two large parts together rather than just edge gluing.

DSCF0910_zps44a205d0.jpg

Test fitting however showed a big problem....why the gap ?.... :BANGHEAD2:

DSCF0912_zpsd2d107a5.jpg

Well...after beating my head against the model bench for a bit, I went back, studied the plans and pictures...and realized the front of the wing center section droops..by 5 mm !....and to allow this the wing has to be raised the same 5 mm... So, cut the center section across, glue and support, then add a cradle on the bottom of the wing.

DSCF0913_zps6a30979e.jpg

Test fitting showed that it looked right and measured up correctly....

DSCF0914_zpsf4436d7e.jpg

This of course meant that my carefully made top skin had to be cut too...nothing like cutting up parts you spent hours making..

DSCF0915_zps62d5d645.jpg

But glued in place it looks right, measures up right so it's worth it...

DSCF0916_zps812de459.jpg

Thats it for this time..stay tuned...it gets sillier !

Cheers

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf

Vaughn,

I think your modeling mind can cope with any glitches and problems and by looking

At the last post the wings and spars look impressive in MY eyes.COOL!

Very Neat work if I may say so.

:thumbsup:

Edit: further update of your work is EXEMPLARY.

Vaughn have yiu built many kits with such little or photos as this work is quite EXCEKKENT.

:clap2:

Mind ?....what mind ?!!! :huh:

I appreciate the comments !!

Cheers

Vaughn

This is already turning out to be another one of your special builds Vaughn. Loving it.

Kev

Glad you are enjoying, Kev !

Next up was to start filling in the leading edges... A lot of careful cut/ fit/ sanding..

DSCF0922_zps5429ae2f.jpg

With that on the go I needed to work on some bigger parts so started framing up the aft side of the wing.

DSCF0918_zpsd80a0e91.jpg

And carefully faired in...

DSCF0926_zps939dba88.jpg

And being that I hope to light the ship, wires were run through the wing to the center section...stripped phone cable wire is great for this task and cheap. You can see the crease and droop pf the trailing edge in this shot.

DSCF1021_zps56368061.jpg

Thats it for this time.

Cheers

Vaughn

Thanks guys.. just a small update today. After working on that big wing I needed a break by working on some smaller stuff, so I started on the cockpit area. After doing a lot of hunting around it seems from the available info that the one thing the Revell kit got very close to being right was the cockpit ! Checking it against the wonderful shots of the full sized filming prop on starshipmodeler it's pretty much bang on.

Everything was built up from .020 sheet..

1146637_10153154161985054_1381814079_n_z

The bottles were made from different sized sprue.

996567_10153154169060054_1029345303_n_zp

That's it for this time. More in a few days.

Cheers

Vaughn