"Die Bergung" 2/JG400 Germany 1945 - Schlepper work

Out2gtcha

Love it Brian - looks a neat little kit and looking forward to seeing you work your magic - like the idea of a Dio as the ground equipment with these Komets were so unique and bespoke they hold a lot of interest for me in themselves

Also those figures look amazing - you clearly have the magic touch, I find them impossible :)

Right, I am plotted in my favourite chair - whats next? :popcorn:

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Peter! QUITE a complement indeed coming from such a high-caliber modeler such as yourself.   Im not great at figgies either, but hopefully will be able to pick up some of the "Rutman" figure mojo!

Well, believe it or not, even with the lack of updates, I have in fact been working quite diligent on this one........................pic heavy updates ahead!!!   

I started off in the normal place (Me-163 cockpit) figuring that I would need to get the rough air-frame of the Me-163 built, then the build out of the Schlepper to get sizes of things, so I could set them in place together tentatively in the positions I wanted, to get a rough idea of what size dio base I will need to construct.

So away we go!

Aires cockpit all cleaned up with some Bleache Wite white wall cleaner over night, then some warm soap and water, prepping for black MS 1500 primer. (no shots of the black primer only however):

DSC05737.jpg

Basic painting completed, minus finishing details, highlighting and a wash:

DSC05738.jpg

DSC05739.jpg

DSC05740.jpg

DSC05741.jpg

DSC05746.jpg

I also am going to use the OOB Aires instruments, to go along with their PE, so I used some white paint on the back, to bring out the interment faces on the front:

DSC05747.jpg

DSC05748.jpg

I also took a minute and chain drilled out the vents at the back of the fuselage near the rocket nozzle, then inserted a small flat piece of styrene for the divider, then put some filler on it, and after it was dry, sanding everything back flush, so it all appears as one:

DSC05749.jpg

Finally, after quite a bit of labor, I added the fuel lines to the cockpit side tanks, used some lightened RLM 66 for dry brushing highlights on the main pit parts, then a gloss coat, a wash of UMP dark dirt, then added some decals from the spares box, and finally added an overall flat coat to bring things together:

DSC05750.jpg

MORE...........................

More pics of the finished pit (I will remove the stupid hairs before installation :lol: ):

DSC05751.jpg

DSC05753.jpg

DSC05755.jpg

DSC05764.jpg

DSC05765.jpg

Not perfect, but the OOB Aires PE will look ok in situation once the IP is completed I think:

DSC05759.jpg

Here you can see the result of using the Dymo take to tape off the structural reinforcing wing root plates, that also house the canon covers. I smoothed everything out, and added a several layers of primer to build up a demark to keep the panel raised slightly above its surroundings, then re-scribed the canon cover and latches.

Once THAT was all done, it was on to a scary moment in the build, that before I did it, I wasnt 100% sure was the right move...............until after it was completed, and I realized it probably was the correct move.  I decided to forgo the instructions in the area of the order the fuselage and wings were glued together.

I decided that after hearing other stories of how this kit did not fit well, and the fact I could get great finger pressure on the joint, that I was fully intending on pushing forward with gluing the fuse fillet to the completed wings, then glue the main fuselage section to each wing half, THEN glue the tail section to each of the main body sections, hoping I would end up with 2 good halves that are equal in all measure, and would have no twists or warps to them.

I think we have a winner, and NO gaps!

DSC05769.jpg

You can also see the mix of gray and black MS 1500 that I used to build up the strengthening panels on the wing root. NICE and flush for each half, which should make assembly later MUCH easier. Fit here is EXCELLENT:

DSC05773.jpg

As I said, Fit here is EXCELLENT, but the black primer I added on the wing roots, makes it appear that there are some shadows/gaps, but this is not the case, and is really only an optical allusion. The fit of the wing root to the fuse is outstanding, and although the joints are kind of rough and will need some smoothing, dare I say...............I dont think Ill  need ANY primer OR filler:

DSC05772.jpg

DSC05774.jpg

Ill be back on the 163 tonight hopefully, as I need to build out some more sub assemblies like the skid, rocket motor basic parts, and some other minor internal stuff that will show through the clear quarter windows.

Thanks again for stopping in on me!

Also forgot.............

I forgot that the pit is not actually completed yet, as Im missing seat-belts. This area was one that I also could have gone with the OOB Aires PE version, but the HGW belts look SO good when done, that Im going to order a set of those for the Me-163 instead. 

Not sure how fast I can get them here, but Im anticipating being able to leave the seat off, get the pit glued in situation, then add the HGW belts to the seat, and add the seat to the pit after everything is assembled in the fuselage.  

What an update!

I see you placed a placard on the fuel tanks in the cockpit. "Nicht verstellen" would fit on rudders or other moving flying surfaces, but sadly not on the fuel tanks to the left and right in the cockpit. "Nicht verstellen" means "Don´t move" or Don´t adjust"...

What an update!

I see you placed a placard on the fuel tanks in the cockpit. "Nicht verstellen" would fit on rudders or other moving flying surfaces, but sadly not on the fuel tanks to the left and right in the cockpit. "Nicht verstellen" means "Don´t move" or Don´t adjust"...

Thanks!

Yep!  It was as close as I could come to something in white that advertised a "caution" or warning.  Sadly, I didnt have anything in the spares drawer more appropriate.  :(  Ill just have to hope the IPMS judges cant read German! 

... Ill just have to hope the IPMS judges cant read German! 

:D  No IPMS judges around here where I live! So, carefree modelling!

I got a picture of a unrestored Me 163 for you. I did this and a series of more pics way back while in Duxford, GB.

Duxford-438.jpg

There are more pictures on our SPAM forum site, but I hesitate to post a link here for it could not be appropriate?!?

Kev, Thomas, Andy, thanks all for dropping in on me. I just thought the German writing in white looked good on the RLM02 tanks.  

Thomas,

I would not think it would be inappropriate at all!  I love seeing those type of pics.  Im going for a slightly more "colorful" version of the Me-163s cockpit, as I have found sometimes, with very small pit spaces it can really make things pop visually if you go slightly brighter than the 1:1 bird.

Ironically talking about IPMS judging, I have found that even at the Nationals level of IPMS competition, that for the most part, the judges (with some exceptions obviously depending on the individual) seem to reward well done, well painted models that are straight, neat, and have good geometry, and visual presence, VS out right accuracy as far as things are painted in this area.

Im kind of counting on this working for me at the IPMS show, as the slightly brighter colors make the interior stand out and look cool, but might not be 100% accurate, but hopefully if I can do it well enough it will work for me. 

Thomas,

I would not think it would be inappropriate at all!  I love seeing those type of pics.  ...

Brian, be welcome! :)

I have changed this folder to "public" for you and others to enjoy. Please follow this link to my Me 163 pictures on Photobucket: http://s861.photobucket.com/user/Wurzacher/library/Scale%20Plastic%20Aircraft%20Modeller/Walk%20Arounds/Me%20163%20Duxford%20mein%20Copyright

Just catching up on your build Brian, as ever fantastic work and following with interest as I have one in the stash and looking forward to your findings........most of all its the profimodeller stuff I'm looking forward to seeing........very tempted but man its expensive.

Regards. Andy